Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I went back to Alpha5 V5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went back to Alpha5 V5

Despite the sales pitch that V6 will work with my application, I have found to the contrary. Almost every script I had created in earlier versions, caused error messages. I don't have time for continual updates that aren't backwards compatable. I'M FED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    David Montgomery

RE: I went back to Alpha5 V5

David

Your experience does not match the experience of others. There are very few things that work in V5 that might cause a problem in V6. The biggest change is that arrays must use brackets [], not parenthesis as in A5V4. Other than that, I have not found anything that worked correctly in V5 to cause a problem in V6. The only other change is that V6 is less tolerant of code errors in V6. Some code errors in V5 would not show a fault that V6 will catch. The same was true in A5V5 over A5V4.

If you are having specific problems, post the specifics of the problem and someone here can help.

Jerry

Comment

If the brackets are causing the problem, I have a good Fix Array Brackets utility that will fix them throughout the application.

It costs a few bucks but it also saves a lot of time.

Cal Locklin
      www.aimsdc.net

Comment

It is interesting that you did not send a SINGLE example of a script that you have that works in V5 but not in V6 to us at Alpha for us to comment on.

The notion that xbasic scripts work in V5 but not in V6 is actually an absurdity since a huge part of the alpha five user interface itself is written in Xbasic. Most of this xbasic was not changed in going from V5 to V6 - and of course the user interface in V6 continues to operate.

Comment

Perhaps the answer lies in the original post.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&num=15&id=999&thread=999
          "Will V6 work with Windows 98"

If V6 is installed on Win 98, you've already been advised it's not a good idea.

Comment

Selwyn,
            Nearly all of my scripts do not work in V6. I don't suppose you would care to debug all of them, would you? I installed V6 on both a Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro platform not Win98.

I would like to use V6, but don't know where to start fixing problems.

David
            David Montgomery

Comment

A copy of your app and details of how to duplicate the problems would be a big help David. You can email them to Selwyn or myself ([email protected])

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
              Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
              Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny,

My application is very large. There are so many problems that I would not know which one to start with. Are you still interested in helping me?

David
                David Montgomery

Comment

I'm not saying I can fix all your problems, it is going to depend on whether they are at our level or yours. But I'd like to take a look at it and identify what you are having trouble.

Lenny Forziati
                  Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                  Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

David,

Why can't you just take one script which you think will not work on V6 and post it to us. You could either paste it within the text of your posting or attach it as a txt file.

If you could just give us an example as such, it would settle this whole question of whether V6 is backwards compatible.

Steve

Comment

I appreciate the interest, as I really would like to update to V6.

Give me a few days and I will try to identify one or two main problems and post them.
                      David Montgomery

Comment

That would be great ... that is a main reason for this forum, to try and help each other resolve issues ... which of course we cannot do without some detailed information :)
                        Cheryl
                        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X