Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

requests for help on the boards and bug fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

requests for help on the boards and bug fixes

Hello everybody,

For those of you that really read the message board posts, I am sure you recognize my name by now :) Some of you think I am a real a**hole, and others think I have 1/2 a brain. The first group is right, the 2nd group is only 1/2 right ***winks***

I am not one to speak with a few words, so get your coffee, wine, scotch, or whatever your pleasure ... because this is going to be a novel from the soap box of Cheryl Lemire.

I have only been a user of the Alpha products for just a little over a year. In that time I have worked with Alpha Four Versions 2, 6, 7, and 8 ... and Alpha Five Versions 5, 6 and WAS. I am by no means an expert developer.

But I can tell you this, when I want to do something in an application, I simply start clicking buttons and options and see what happens. Then when I am totally frustrated, I pull up the help docs ... and I do NOT care what anybody says, the Alpha Software documentation is one of the best I have ever come across for any software.

I review the help docs, give myself major migrains, and I start clicking buttons and options again until I am once again frustrated. Then I search learn alpha.com and the message boards. I read and read and read again until my head hurts and I go back to pushing more buttons and options.

Throughout this entire process, 90% of the time I find my answers and resolve my issues. BUT, the other 10% of the time, I have to bite my tongue, grin and bare it, and post a request for help here on the appropriate message board.

I pull out my platinum 'blonde' hair dye and pray I can find a way to explain my problem that takes a 1000 words and put it in a way that I can get help from somebody.

"""Go ahead and refill your drink, I will wait for you to return"""

I am going to give you some tips to get quicker resolutions to your problems. I have done support for software for a very long time. I have been a beta tester for a lot of software for a very long time. Although I may not be the best example of how to get the answer to a question or how to get a problem fixed, I CAN tell you how YOU can.

My tips apply to message board help requests as well as bug reports sent to Alpha Software.

1) NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, be negative. Negativity breeds more negativity and nobody gets anywhere except deeper than they were before they even asked the question.

2) Attach a zip file of your database. Everybody is working with confidential information. Copy your database into a separate directory on your hard drive. Empty the records in the tables. Create 1/2 dozen records with dummy information (or however many records we need to duplicate the problem). Use the A5 tools to zip your database and attach it to your post.

3) Give DETAILED steps to duplicate the issue you are requesting help with. Saying something like, I have an auto increment field that is not working, please help. WELL, just think about that. If you read that post, what would your response be?

4) Duplicate your problem using the AlphaSports database. Take one of their existing tables and add your field or fields to it. Take an existing form and add your field to that form with the expressions you are using. Whatever you need to do to duplicate it in AlphaSports.

I am going to give you a sample of a good BUG submission. Short, sweet, and to the point. Gives the problem and how to duplicate it. After that I will give you some troubleshooting steps to follow to help you help yourself.

Here is a sample BUG report sent to Alpha:

Alpha Five version: 6
    Build: 1532
    Addins: 2003
    Operating System: XP Home
    Bug Description: Unhandled exception

The error occurs when pressing the 'tab' key after entering data in the Field Description to go to the Calculated Field _Expression

To duplicate:

Open AlphaSports
    Go to customer table structure
    Add field, Date_Mod, character, 30
    Go to field rules
    Select Date_Mod field
    Select Calculated field
    Type in Default descriptive name
    press tab key
    type in field description
    press tab key
    ERROR OCCURS

Unhandled Exception. Alpha 5 will do a forced termination.

Troubleshooting Tips

1) If the problem you are having is with a form or browse ... open the default form or browse for your table and see if you get the same problem.

a) If you do, the problem is within your table structure and/or field rules.
    b) If you do not, the problem is within your custom form/browse.

2) Duplicate your own problem using the AlphaSports database. When you go to AlphaSports to duplicate your problem, open notepad or text pad or any other text editor on your desktop. Detail literally step by step what you are doing in AlphaSports to duplicate the problem.

3) Open the Alpha Software help files. Do a search for your issues. Read the various options. Try them out. Keep your text editor open and use it while trying things out (you will need this if you do not resolve your issue and need to ask for help).

4) Do a search on the message boards. Remember that we have a lot of boards, do not restrict your search to the V6 board because you are using V6. The issue you have concerns with can apply to other versions, so search V5 or WAS ... you might be surprised with your results. Change your search words if you do not find anything up front.

5) Go to the learn alpha.com and other links available from the support pages and search there for your issue.

6) READ the posts on these boards every day. Even if you do not have the answer and/or the post makes no sense to you. If you truly want to learn how to use the software and the power of what you can do, reading these posts will take you a long way in the shortest amount of time.

I make as many mistakes if not more than the rest of you. I have had my share of posts to the board that have made NO sense. There is no such thing as a dumb question. But we all need to stop and think for a minute when we are posting a question here.

1) The end users and/or developers/consultants ... whatever you want to call all of us that respond to questions here ... we are NOT paid for our time. We are helping each other because we remember what it was like when we did not know the answer. We still know what it is like because we don't have ALL the answers.

2) Look at your post before you click the send message button. Can you click here, click there, type this, type that ... and get the same end result? If NOT, then neither can we.

3) If you read help docs and board posts and they just did not make sense, quote what you read, what you thought it meant, and what you do not understand.

4) NEVER, NEVER, NEVER be negative. What goes around comes around.

Now for some opinions before I get off my soap box. Hopefully many of you have taken the time to read all of this ... (and Alpha has not deleted my post, hahaha) ...

Questions have been asked in different posts on the different boards. I have stood strong with my feelings and have done my best to bite my tongue. But there are things that have bothered me.

1) If you have something negative to say and just can't keep it to yourself ... please, please, please, try to do it tactfully and without the intent of hurting or degrading somebody. Think about how you would feel if you were reading the comment and it was directed to you.

2) If you have to 'bad mouth' Alpha Software or the staff ... back up what you are complaining about. Don't say: the program costs too much money. My response to that is, compared to what? And don't come back with, well Quicken is only $50. Well, my response to that is, and does quicken have all the features that Alpha Software has? If quicken will serve all your needs for $50, then why are you here?

I believe people are using Alpha Software because of the flexibility and power. We seriously can do just about anything we want to do. Some things may be harder than others. Some things may take more time than others. But it can be done. And if we cannot figure it out, somebody is there to help us figure it out.

3) What happened to the board users that used to respond to all the posts but you hardly see anymore? Well, I am NOT speaking for them but I will give you some reasons why I think we do not see much of them anymore.

They read a post that makes no sense to them. They spend some time trying to figure out what the question is and how to duplicate it. They ask 3 questions. They get the answer to one question. They spend more time trying to figure it out and they ask more questions. Twenty posts later, they finally get the answers to all the questions (which should have been given in the original post) and five minutes later they have a resolution.

Do you have that kind of time to invest into helping somebody that you do not know, that is not paying you for your time, that is taking you away from your job or your family?

If you read the posts on the boards, you will find issues resolved quickly when the proper information is given to resolve the issue.

I know, you are saying now, I don't know what information to give. It is sooooooooo EASY.

I clicked here, I typed this, I scrolled to record #, and this is what happened. What I wanted to happen at this point is this. What am I doing wrong?

That is all we need to start. With this we can duplicate your problem. We can then determine if it is a problem with what you are doing or the program itself.

OK soap box time is over ...

Cheryl

Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

RE: requests for help on the boards and bug fixes

Hi Cheryl.

"i"What happened to the board users that used to respond to all the posts but you hardly see anymore? Well, I am NOT speaking for them but I will give you some reasons why I think we do not see much of them anymore.

They read a post that makes no sense to them. They spend some time trying to figure out what the question is and how to duplicate it. They ask 3 questions. They get the answer to one question. They spend more time trying to figure it out and they ask more questions. Twenty posts later, they finally get the answers to all the questions (which should have been given in the original post) and five minutes later they have a resolution.

Do you have that kind of time to invest into helping somebody that you do not know, that is not paying you for your time, that is taking you away from your job or your family? "/i"

I'm probably one of those that qualifies to your statement above.

And your right, a badly expressed question and not answering my reply question is annoying. I've given tons of answers over the years, and while I enjoy helping others, I don't think I can ever claim a direct finacial return from the board.

So I now mostly lurk, answering questions and commenting on threads that interest me, or address me or my code specifically.

I particularly find tiresome a question that is asked that has been answered many times and can be found by the simplest of searches of the forum.

I hope many of the new users will take some of your words to heart.

(Thanks a whole lot "sarcastic" Alpha for making such a darn good product that lots of people now want to use it! :?) )

Regards,

Ira

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Thanks for your response and honesty Ira. We are all guilty of a lot of things. My soap box was not meant to point fingers at anybody. I am hoping to 'teach' new users how to get a question answered more expeditiously. I am also hoping to bring back some of you that only browse around the boards now and help to teach the new users. I am also hoping to help people to get bugs fixed and new features added by asking the right questions in the right format with Alpha Software itself :)

I am probably one of the few here that does NOT have a life, so I spend a lot of time asking questions from the people with problems. Most people that visit the boards cannot even begin to spend a tenth of the time I spend here. I play the 20 question game until I get the info I need to resolve the problem. I feel like a dentist most of the time pulling teeth :)

Of course, there is always the back sided hope here ... For those that are NOT new visitors to the boards, READ READ READ and learn. Quit complaining that you do not get an issue resolved when it is your own fault because you have not given us good information to work with. Quit pointing the finger and placing blame on somebody else when you should be looking in the mirror.

ME INCLUDED :)
      Cheryl
      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Bravo Cheryl:
        Hope Jim and Bill are monitoring this board - your posting should be in newsletter, too.
        Thanks
        Bob

Comment

hahaha, I have only begun
          Cheryl
          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Ira

Excellent post. I agree completely and could not have said it better.

Jerry

Comment

Bravo, well said. However, you left out a couple of small but important pieces of advice.

When someone from the board replies and provides the answer,
              remember to respond with a confirmation of the solution and a 'Thank you'. It's the least you can do for someone that normally gets a lot of money for doing the same for their own clients (speaking for the A5 developers).

If you happen to use an application or piece of code downloaded from the Code Archive, send feedback (and thanks) to the person that submitted it. A long time ago I asked that Alpha Software enable a hit counter for downloads from the Code Archive, but understandably, their priorities are for the A5 product.

BTW, even though you have 1/2 a brain, you use it quite well. Question is, right side or left side. :)

regards,
              Melvin

Comment

As a regular reader of the postings on the Phorums, I look for questions that cannot readily be answered by the documentation. Then I try to fill the gap with a new topic or better indexing.

There are more than 2,000 pages in the help. The index has more than 10,000 entries and I can see by the posted questions that it is underutilized.

It is not possible (for me) to identify all the questions and answers and put them into the table of contents and index. So I recommend that you also try a text search. While more indirect, it will expose many hidden pieces of Alpha Five wisdom.

And thanks to Cheryl for the compliment.

Comment

Thanks Melvin. I left out a lot of points because I figured my novel was already long enough. HOWEVER, your points are VERY VERY VERY important and they are not ones that I should have left out. Thank you so much for adding them to the thread.

I am currently working on a site for anybody that is interested. This site will have tutorials on it with 'how to' do various things within Alpha. I will be including very simple things like how to create a lookup table. I will be using posts from the board. I will be using personal experience from the application that I am currently working on.

I am even very happy and willing to put anything that any of you would like me to add. I am hoping that users here will use the site to try and find some answers before posting here.

I will also be adding TIPS for troubleshooting, samples of good bug reports, samples of good message board posts, etc, etc. So any ideas/thoughts/suggestions that any of you have I am more than happy to listen to since I am creating this site for your benefit.

""BTW, even though you have 1/2 a brain, you use it quite well. Question is, right side or left side. :)""

Thank you for the compliment. As far as which side? That is for me to know ... and you to figure out LMAO You are assuming right or left, why not top or bottom? And what you do not know is that I have multiple personalities, so you first have to figure out which personality is posting so you know which brain to pick ***winks***
                  Cheryl
                  #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

"And what you do not know is that I have multiple personalities,...

Really? I had multiple personalities too, and I was quite happy. Then one day I woke up and found they had all deserted me and run off to Pango Pango (I think). Now I have no one to talk to again, but at least there's no more arguments. :D

Comment

I received an email with links to troubleshooting pages. These sites are great and I will be including them on my site. I am not including the name of who sent me the links because I have not talked to them yet and do not know if they wish to remain anonymous or not. However, hopefully they will be given due credit when my site is ready for viewing.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/199907/_troubleshooting.htm

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tuni.htm

The 10 step Universal Troubleshooting Process
                      Get the Attitude
                      Get a complete and accurate symptom description
                      Make damage control plan
                      Reproduce the symptom
                      Do the appropriate general maintenance
                      Narrow it down to the root cause
                      Repair or replace the defective component
                      Test
                      Take pride in your solution
                      Prevent future occurrence of this problem
                      Cheryl
                      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Hi all,

Perhaps this is, in part anyway, an educational issue due to the increased participation of newcomers who are less familiar with the product and more accustomed to the frontier customs which prevail in so many internet forums.

It might be helpful if Lenny found a way to make instructions on how to post (Cheryl's or similar) easily accesible. After all, there's no point at yelling at people for not doing what they don't know how to do.

Bill
                        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

...and also instructions on how to search the board perhaps with a couple of examples and a reminder to search other forums.
                          Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Generally, I read as far as, �Hey, I�m using an auto-increment field and.........�

which is when I suddenly remember my cab is waiting out front.

Comment

Sometimes, those of us 'bad posters' are trying to relate what we know in Access and their model of how things work to A5. For me, it has been a real effort to unlearn Access. The truth be told, if I really KNEW Access, I wouldn't be using A5! However, I often think things should work a particular way and even when I read the documentation, I still approach it like Access. Some things aren't as clear in the documentation to those of us who have been corrupted by the Dark Side.

Not an excuse, just another way to think about it.

dave
                              David A. Volgas, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X