Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

CONVERSION FROM A4V6 to A5V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CONVERSION FROM A4V6 to A5V6

I've been using A4V6 for years but need to get to windows environment. Questions --

1) are all data files compatible?
    2) I currently use W98SE - will I need to upgrade my operating system

RE: CONVERSION FROM A4V6 to A5V6

I left out one comment -- I have a small network system (A4V6 - 5 station). Will this affect any of the answers to my two prior questions?

Comment

Hi Howard,

You will be able to convert your data. None of your forms or reports will transfer though, you will need to re-do them in V6.

V6 does not support Win98 so you would need to upgrade your o/s to either win 2000 or xp.

We are here to assist if you choose to upgrade. I just completed a conversion from A4V2 to A5V6 so it is definitely possible :)

Good luck

Cheryl
      Cheryl
      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
      http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

The only effect that it will have is that you will need to get the runtime license for your other systems and they will also need to have the o/s upgraded if also on win98.
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Cheryl - thanks for such a quick response. Is there any advantage as to Win 2000 vs. XP?

Also, I had previously purchased a "single-user" copy of A5V4 or 5(not sure - purchased about 1 year ago)but never even loaded the program. Would it be easier to start in A5V6 to create forms, etc. of can I use the version I currently have (non-networked)?

Comment

Hi Howard,

win2000 or xp is going to be a personal preference. I use them both. Have used 2000 for a long time and since I am an old dog, it is hard to teach me new tricks. My personal preference is 2000. But I do use xp as that is the times now and I am forcing myself to get used to it :)

As far as using what you already have with A5, I guess that would depend on what version you have. I am not familiar personally with A5V4 so I do not know how easy it is to move from that to V6. But if you have A5V5 I know you can move that to V6 without difficulty.

Cheryl

I am sure others will have opinions for you as well.
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Howard,

Depending what you want to do, A5 V5 or V6 will serve you well. I have upgraded a few A4V6 applications ad I can tell you that you have a bit of work ahead of you. The ONLY think that is directly usable are the .dbf files (the data itself). Everything else must be recreated from scratch. This task is infinitely easier if you have a second computer available so that you can bring up the A4 application on one computer while you recreate it on the other - a lot easier than working from memory.

Only because there are many more features in V6, I would suggest upgrading to that version, even if you have no intention of incorporating web functionality or have no newed to access data stored in some other format. Plus, I personally prefer to stay with the latest version.

As to the O/S, again, I would suggest upgrading to Win XP Pro. Pro incorporates network functionality, which XP Home does not.

You've got a task ahead of you, but it certainly is not overwhelming.

One other suggestion I'll make, then I quit. You should consider getting A4Doc and A5Doc (for a nominal fee). These addons let you document table and script structure amongst other thing which will make your conversion exercise much easier.

Also, welcome to A5.

Dave
              Dave Jampole
              www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

I'll second the use of XP and I, too, prefer the PRO version because I've had fewer networking issues. I've heard it said that the Home edition supports a few networked computers but I don't think it's as easy to set up networking in the Home edition - just my personal opinion for whatever it's worth.

And, like Cheryl said, "I do use xp as that is the times now and I am forcing myself to get used to it." Given the choice, I would have gone with 2000 but most of my customers are switching to XP so I felt it was important to be as compatible as possible with them.

Two other hints:

1. Learn to use the Edit/Mark function from a DOS window. This will allow you to cut-and-paste expressions and text from the DOS window to the Windows application. (Right click the small MS-Dos icon in the upper left corner of the DOS window.)

2. I don't recall the details on this one but if you are using memo files in A4 there may be some problems converting them to the A5v6 format. (Actually this format has been used since at least A5v4 and probably earlier.) I believe the A4 files will work in A5v6 but you will have more flexibility with the A5v6 format. As I said, I'm not sure about this but I seem to recall having to convert some memo files with an earlier version of A5 then converting them again to the latest version.

Can someone else confirm or refute #2??

Cal Locklin
                www.aimsdc.net

Comment

My recent conversion from A4V2 had memo fields in .dbt rather than the current .fpt format. I had to manipulate them to work correctly in V6. I do not know when they stopped using that format so I cannot say if that is the case with A4V6.
                  Cheryl
                  #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Working...
                  X