Alpha Video Training

Thread: Lost Operations In Conversion

TinaBaron

Default Lost Operations In Conversion

Upgraded to V6 and Lost my Operations. Database was in A5DATA folder. I can open the database and can see my saved operations but when I hit F9 they aren't there.

Tina

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Default RE: Lost Operations In Conversion

Hi Tina,

I am not understanding your question/comment.

""Database was in A5DATA folder.""

Is the database no longer in that folder? If not, and you moved it, exactly how did you move it, and where to?

""I can open the database and can see my saved operations""

I am assuming you are opening the database using V6. Where exactly are you seeing the saved operations?

""but when I hit F9 they aren't there.""

Where are you when you hit F9 and why are you hitting F9?

Thanks
    Cheryl

TinaBaron

Cheryl,

We process files for our clients, so in order not to create a database for each file (since we do not maintain their databases), I set up one database in its own folder(called A5DATA) and then add tables into it, perform some operations, take it into our postal software for certification. That table is then added back into A5v6 for further processing for bad addresses, duplicates and we combine City, State and Zip on every file we process for our clients, as an example of a stored operation: (operation-new-update-assign a calculated value to a field and go to the expression library to retrieve/insert).

When upgrading to V6 yesterday, I tried to perform the same operation and when I am at the Expression Builder, those saved expressions aren't there or should I say one was there about 10 times. That is where I hit F9 (Library Entry) to go to Global expressions.

I hope this is more clear for you. Worst case I can build them as I go. That screen works differently than I am used to.

Thanks, Tina

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Tina,

If I am understanding you correctly then, you did not actually move data, you are still using the same db and the same directory structure for your files.

It also sounds like you didn't lose the operations, but it is the global expressions that you are having difficulty with?

What version of Alpha did you upgrade from? Was it A5V5? When you did the upgrade did you install the files to the default directory? Have you made a copy of your db prior to upgrading? Have you tried to open your db in your prior version and if so, are your global expressions still in tact?

If you go back to your older version and open the db up, please be sure to work from a COPY and not the original db.

I need to run out and go back to my client today, but if you can answer these questions and perhaps zip your files and attach them to this post, it will be easier for us to help. Once the file is attached and the above answered, you can also tell us which operation(s) we should be looking at and what steps we should be taking to see the expressions that you are speaking of.

Hopefully somebody else will get a chance to look at this for you with that information. If not I will take another look when I return tonight.

Good luck
    Cheryl