Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Error Message Can not post to Zipcode Table Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Message Can not post to Zipcode Table Part 1

Here is the zip code database that is being referred to.

RE: Error Message Can not post to Zipcode Table Pa

hanson,

Nothing is atached. By zip code database, are you referring to yoour app or the zip code database available from Alpha?

If the latter, we need to see the portion of your app where that has the problem. If, for example, you have a database made up of 10 tables and 4 sets but the issue involves a table or set, then all we need is the table or set, not the whole app. Also, if you have several forms, browses, letters, etc, you can delete the ones that are not affected by the proplem.

1. Copy the entire database and work from the copy.
    2. Delete all tables and/or sets that are not part of the problem.
    3. Delete all forms, browses, letters, reports, etc that are not part of the problem.

When you've got the above done, zip the file using a zip utility, either a 3rd party zip or if you have XP, XP's zip utility is just fine.

kenn
    The goal is to 'lighten the load' so there as there is a 1 meg limit to the file that can be attached.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I used alpha 5 to zip the tables. there are two tables involved. One is the 3custmags table sent in the first message and the other is the zipcode table (originally use in alpha4). You need to unpack the databases from the two posts above. i have to tell you the tables function fine (do what I want them to to do), but I can't get rid of this error message

Comment

From what I can see it doesn't lok like the files are being attached. i'll try again

Comment

that was the first table. Here is the second

Comment

hanson,

The 3custmag2 table will not open due to a posting error. I opened the field rules and see that you have the customer id set as a lookup. Apparently, when you get to this field, it's supposed to do a lookup to the clients table.

Also, looks like you have the Zip_1 field set as a lookup as well but it's trying to look up the zip code from the A4v6\A4sample\zipcode.dbf. Here's is the first of what appears to be several major problems. You're looking up a DOS application for a windows app.

With all due respect, it appears to me that you would be best served if you spent some time learning about basic database construction and normalization with V6. You cannot mix DOS and Windows. If you want to use the A4 data, then you need to convert it to A5v6.

If you spend the time now, your frustration level will drop considerably. You must understand the basics.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I converted the data. That was the first thing I did when I first started using the program. There is a third data base that I didn't include. That is a clients database which is looked up for insertion into 3custmags table. I have no problems with that Table, even with the zip coed lookup it has. The problem only occurs when I try to put in a new record in the 3custmags database.

Comment

hanson,

Terminology....What was a database in A4 is now a table. THe database is the whole enchalada, the entire application. Thus it's important for you to use the correct terminology so that those who try to help can be on the same page as you.

Please go back and review my previous posts. I suspect you are only working with tables and hve no sets or forms. If that's the case, you are going to have problems, problems that we either can't or would be relunctant to help. Why? Simply this, your trying to live in a house with the 4 walls up. Without a roof and specific rooms, it's really not a house.

Same applies here. Without sets and forms, etc., the job is only part done. It not only is a crude way to do it but it's also an complete. It's not my intent to offend you but for some reason, it appears you fail to refer to and provide the right information.

There's not much more I can do to help until you re-read myposts and follow the suggestions.

kenn

Comment

Let me tell you what I've done and amybe things will become clearer. When I startedAlpha5v6 I imported 3 tables (databases in a4) into iit. I then defined the structure of each table, and then created the filed rules. I then set up forms and browse tables to look at my data. My main table is the 3custmags. It gets some data from my client table and some data from my zip code table. That part all seems to work fine, with the one esception I am asking for help with. Interestingly my client table also gets data from the zip code data base and I havene't gotten any error messages when I try to put in a new record there. The only problems I have are with the custmags form. I can sense you getting as frustrated as I and probaBLY ASSUME i KNOW NOTHING ABOUT DATABASES, but that's not true. I put tpgether a pretty good Alpha4 database on my own. If you have any clue as to what this error message might mean and where I might look, that would mean a great deal to me. At present I have been able to resolve all my other issues, and the database does what I want it to do. the error has no real impact on the functioning of the database. It is just annoying to get an error message every time I go to put in a new record. Thanks for your interest.

Comment

The two zip files you attached do not help us to resolve your issue.

1) We do not have your custom form to duplicate your issue with.

2) We cannot add records using the default form because we do not have the client table in order to do the lookup from.

3) I am sure there are other issues along the way that will keep us from assisting without all of your files.

Please use the Alpha zip database tool and attach the complete files with the forms and all the tables in order for us to be able to try and find a resolution for you.

Tools -" Zip database -" include path names

Thanks
                    Cheryl
                    Cheryl
                    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

O.K. Cheryl I think I am getting the hang of this. I zipped all the tables and deleted all the data. Hopefully someone can figure out the cause of my problems.

Comment

Apparently, I spoke too soon I had to delete the records from the zip code directory. well here is take two

Comment

Make that take 3. I didn't realize my zip files were not being overwritten. This should work.

Comment

Sorry but there is no attachment. Is the file under 1MB in size?
                            Cheryl
                            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                            http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

I don't understand why the file is not being attached. The program indicates that it has been attached. Here we go again.

Comment

Working...
                              X