Alpha Video Training

Thread: Error Message can't post to ...

hanson

Default Error Message can't post to ...

I just transferred my database from Alpha 4 toAlpha 5 and things have gone slot smoother than I expected, because there are amny similarities in the setup. I am essentially combining three different databases, using two as lookup tables for a third. One of the databases is a zipcode database. All the data transfers correctly but when I open my main database and try to input a new file, I receive a message can't post to Zip code data base. I reviewed all of my field rules and no where do I indicate that this database is to be posted to, it isonly a source. I also review the post screen to make sure I did not accidentally put anything there. And I didn't. Please advise

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: Error Message can't post to ...

hanson,

Don't know if anyone will have a clue as to the problem or can offer suggestions. That is, without more info. Can you post a zip file with the tables/sets forms needed to see the problem alon with some instructions on how to find the problem?

That said, field rules in A5 are quite different than A4.

FWIW, with alpha 5 and all other database software, a database in A4 is now a table in A5. The database is the colection of tables and sets that make up the database.

kenn

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

I agree with Ken. Zip up your database and attach it to this message so we can look at it with you. You say when you enter a new record you get the error: when exactly do you get the error? Are you getting it when you hit a certain field or when you are trying to save the record? How are you trying to enter the record, default form, default browse, custom form?

hanson

I get the How can I aqmessage when I try to put in a new record.How can I attach the field values so someone can review it?

hanson

I need to send the other database but how do I do it without sending the records. There are privact considerations.

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

You can copy all the files to a different directory, then open the database in Alpha, right click on each table individucally, utilities, empty table. Once completed you can go to tools, zip database and attach that file.

hanson

Thanks,
    hopefully I couldsend the two tables together

hanson

////it looks like I can only send 1 file at a time. The zip code is database is on a previous reply. The 3custmags table is attached to the following reply. Those are the two relevant database.