Alpha Video Training

Thread: A5V6 developer needs...

Tony Moriarty

Default A5V6 developer needs...

I would be interested to know other A5V6 developer needs...

I realise that WAS has only just been released BUT
    To help me with my planning...client targeting & client presentations...I would like to know...The "Alpha Client Server"...
    a. Release date.
    b. User/server pricing.
    c. Minimum server & workstation requirements.
    d. Advantages & disadvantages against an "Alpha WAS" deployment.
    e. Competitive comparisons with non Alpha servers.
    f. Benchmark results with non Alpha servers..

Has anyone else got similar needs?
    Regards
    Tony Moriarty

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default RE: A5V6 developer needs...

It's my understanding that the WAS has been released.

The rest would be interesting to have more information about.

B. I suspect this is still TBD because it will depend on who is providing the server and how much use it will get. Maybe Alpha has some insight based on discussions with IPSs on the subject. Of course, you can provide your own server if you so desire.

C. "Minimum" is probably anything that A5 will run on. However, it would be interesting to have some idea whether/when something more powerful would be needed. This may not be as much a question for the WAS as just a general question that would be the same for all web app servers but many users of the A5 WAS will not be familiar (yet) with these answers.

D/E/F. My guess is that most answers to these questions will not really be available until after more people have started using the A5 WAS. Until then, we have some pretty good ideas about the development cabilities of the A5 WAS but don't have any direct comparison with other products in actual use.

Having said that about D/E/F, from reading Lenny's comments, it sounds like the speed and capability of the WAS itself should be pretty comparable to other server products. However, I'm not sure what will happen if someone gets sloppy with his app. development. And I suppose that 'things' could slow down a bit if, because of the ease-of-use, a developer tries to do too much with any one A5w page.

Cal Locklin
    www.aimsdc.net

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Cal

I think these questions were about the client server version. They probably should have been sent directly to Alpha. Lenny has already indicated in another thread that there is no release date on the client server and a beta have not been released.

While they are very good questions, until it is released and some real world experience is developed on both the client server and WAS, the answers would just be speculation. About the best answers would be comparing other client server products in general to web solutions in general, but that may have little relevance to Alpha products.

Jerry

Tony Moriarty

Thanks for your comments Cal
    Yes...WAS has been released BUT
    ...the 'Alpha Jigsaw' isn't complete...and I have an urgent need for information about...The soon to be released...additional "Alpha Client Server" option...so that I can plan my future...client targeting & client presentations.
    Glad to see that you also work on a Sunday"g"
    Regards
    Tony Moriarty

Tony Moriarty

Thanks Jerry
    My question was aimed at getting other...A5V6 developer needs...expressed on this thread so that it would cause Alpha to create a "Client Server" Forum...sooner rather than later...By centralising "Client Server" thoughts, comments & information...

This would help create a greater awareness of the Alpha portfolio & it's implications...to our community & 'visiting' developers.

After all Jerry...the "Client Server" is imminent...and it needs knowing about...so that we can propose/implement or integrate the correct solution for our client/potential client needs.

I wonder if Alpha will ever produce...an installable "Pocket PC" product"g"
    Regards to another Sunday worker
    Tony Moriarty

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

What I would like to know is whether a really full blown app can be put on the WAS. Watching the videos, I got the impression everyone was excited that they could simulate a set.

I'm really interested to see if someone like Finnian and/or Dr. Wayne can rewrite their medical apps to run on the WAS.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Finian Lennon

Given that Citrix provides such a great, cost-effective solution for us, it really makes no sense for us to even consider that option. When the full client-server version becomes available we will probably look more closely at the WAS. However, even then, I think our first choice would be to look at integrating the client-server version with our Citrix setup.

Finian

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

You guys are right. I didn't read the question very carefully - sorry.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Peter Wayne

Martin,
    My general impression is that it is not going to be possible to write the kind of complex, "thick client" applications we are accustomed to use under the WAS. The WAS is suited for web-style applications, such as this message board. All the nifty Xdialog-type actions that we can do in A5v5 would require javascript in the WAS. So I don't see the WAS replacing the runtime or Citrix for traditional desktop database applications.
    - Peter

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Thanks, Finnian and Dr. Wayne,

That was my impression, too.