Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pricing 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Pricing 2

I wasn't quite sure which message to attach this to so I stuck it on the end. Sorry if it doesn't "flow" well.

For those that want to deploy a cheap web app, are you really sure that it is necessary for every customer to have the app on their own server??

Most people who use PayPal have not installed the PayPal application on their own server. In fact, when you click the Pay Now icon for PayPal it takes you to the PAYPAL server. At that point you are actually on a different server than you started from until you finish making a payment and then it sends you back (so to speak) to the original server. Most users aren't even aware that this is happening.

I plan to make an app available to all of my Trak-It SP users (an application designed specifically for companies that install real estate sign posts) that will be hosted on one server but used by anyone who signs up for the service. If they have an existing web site, they can simply add an icon to that site that will take their customers to the Trak-It SP site.

One server, one WAS, many users.

Each user will have their own copy of the app because the data and lookup tables will all be unique. Organizing it so every company's data is stored in one copy of the application might be possible but would be a nightmare to create and to support. (Let's see, I have 50 companies and I need to delete the existing status info for company #5, pack the data, and append their new status. Hmmm, could be some problems here.)

Of course, in this case, as in any other hosted solution, there will be a small monthly charge but that's usually easier for them to swallow than a large initial fee plus the cost and hassle of owning and maintaining their own server. And, by the time I actually do have 50 users, I will probably need to have a second server - gee, there's a problem I can live with.

Let's assume they save only one hour per day (probably more like 4) of data input time at $5/hour by using this service. (Good luck getting $5/hr. help.) That means that even if they pay what I would expect to be a terribly high price of $100/month they would still break even - $5/day times 20 work days in a 4 week period equals $100. On the other hand, if you are deploying an app that doesn't save your customer time or have some other real value, then are sure it's worth doing?

If it's not possible to deploy an app this way, somebody please tell me NOW.

Cal Locklin
    www.aimsdc.net

Comment

Cal,

Depending on how your apps are setup I'm thinking this approach may require the Apache Add-on but I'm curious to hear from Alpha on this as I'm having the same thoughts. If each one will reside at a unique domain I'm almost certain of it.

One thing for everyone to consider...
      If your client needs the web app to connect directly to data sitting on a fileserver at their location... a shared remote server does not sound like a viable option.

Hosting an interactive membership list for an organization you might have developed a website for is something that could be hosted on a remote shared WAS server located at an ISP somewhere as I see it, as long as they do not need to access the same data with a desktop app.

As this discussion goes on I think it's important to consider whether the client will need direct access to the data locally, as in online orders getting written directly to the database they work in daily.

I have a need for both scenarios and I'm trying to sort all of this out myself.

Kevin Anderson

Comment

I think Visual FoxPro started to look a lot better!!

The Mexican
        The Mexican

Comment

Ok -

New Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express is either going to be free or in the $100 range (they haven't decided yet).

New Microsoft SQL server express for databases up to 4GB is free.

IIS in XP professional which allows up to 10 connections is included in the OS or I can host at myhosting.com for $25 / month

---

Front Page is $200, Code Charge is $500.

---

To me the thing Alpha had going for it was the database front end in addition to my code. The other development tools like WinDev and Clarion don't provide that Access/Paradox type functionality (they also don't have runtime charges) - so basicly I was willing to pay for the runtime license in order to not have to code that generic browse/query functionality.

I saw WAS as an extension of that -- allow my users remote access to their data -- and I was prepared to pay the equivalent of another runtime to be able to distribute that functionality. But at $699/server it's not going to work for my apps.

Comment

Here it is for me.

I have and have had customers that wish to connect to their work computer(server) by way of the internet and I have always let them do any connection thaey could rig up on their own. They have managed on occasion with Nortons and others to get there.

I looked at was as a possible solution to this issue. They could use was and look at or add to their inventory while still at the auction or sell a car in someone's home and record directly or look up what they need in the server.

Dealers are notoriously stingy about computer related stuff and any edge you can get is good. Could I provide that service as a standard, it could boost sales tremendously and keep current customers happy.

At 699 per customer - that will not work and Dealers will not let data reside anywhere they cannot pick it up and run. That gives me no reason to have my own server for all to share.

I do have other plans that still may utilize 1 copy of the software. we will see.

Dave
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Tom does highlight an important point here which can be best illustrated by an example:

scenario A (alpha not in the picture)

Client goes to consultant with a project to build a database driven web site.

The site is built using the traditional approach which has significant system integration and programing.

Specifically you would need some kind of Back End database engine (MySql commercial license, SQL Server, Oracle etc - not free), you would need a Web server, and then most importantly, you would to start programming in something like php or .asp.

As you know, programming in these low level languages is very time consuming and therefore extremely expensive for the client. For example, the .asp code to show page navigation on a web data display grid is in the order of 300 lines of code according to www.asp101.com. (By way of contrast, v6 has a page navigation genie that does this in 2 clicks and you get a whole set of stylized options). The result is that the client ends up being quoted a high price for the project, and in turn this means that there is a good chance the project will never be signed off on because of sticker shock.

Typically for fairly robust web database projects, pricing could easily be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Scenario B (Alpha V6 is in the picture)

In this scenario it is worth bearing in mind that two things are now fundamnetally different;

1 No or minimal system integration work is required (V6 has a built in Web Server, it has a built in backend database, and it has a built in Rapid Webb App Development tool (the web component builders).

2 Because of the web component builders, NO or MUCH MUCH less programing work is required

The net result is consultants can get database web projects buit in much less time and at much less cost (even including the cost of the web app server license).

The overall result is that the likelyhood of generating customer sticker shock is greatly reduced because you can quote a lower overall price, and therefore more projects are likely to be greenlighted

Richard Rabins
              Co Chairman
              Alpha Software

Comment

Van

If $699 makes your application too expensive, your basic application must be very inexpensive. Compared to a 5 user runtime at $799, WAS is an inexpensive alternative.

Jerry

Comment

5 user runtime can be used over and over for many customers at different sites. was cannot!
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

you can absolutely do this with the a5 web app server. it doesn't sound like a heavy load and it seems unlikely that you would need to use multiple servers with load balancing (and hence would not need the appache mod).

Comment

can you give me an example an any other server based product that allows the customer to make an unlimited number of redistributions of that product?

we can't. take 'coldfusion' from macromedia as the closest analogy. you can't make an unlimited number of redistributions. you need a copy for each server.

it is completely unrealistic to think that you could purchase the webapp server from alpha and then turn around and redistribute that to an unlimited number of your customers.

Comment

Selwyn,

Before I take up that search, Jerry was trying to compare apples and oranges.

If I have to do that search? Who then would be wrong? Who would lose? When I challenge a customer in my business to find a less expensive product(car). They do! It may not run but they found it. They bought it and I lose.

Dave
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Selwyn,

Technically spoken: could a version of WAS be created that has limited features as oposed to a full WAS version regarding for instance the number of apps it can run ?

I mean, would it technically be possible to create a "light" version that COULD be distributed as part of a Runtime app ?

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Dave,

Without comparing the products in ANY way, thus also without saying it is the same kind of product etc. I found that there ARE companies who see it differently, as Dave already warned for in his posting above.

Here is what QEWS says:

"The QEWS developer kit (SDK) contains all you need to get started with developing embedded web applications. It contains the QEWS core server engine, the QEWS toolkit, technical documentation, QEWS host-based development tools, and sample applications. You must purchase one Developer Kit license for each developer that will be using QEWS."

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

I personally do not see how that could be done. If we limit the features of WAS it in turn will limit what we can or cannot do with our applications. I feel that this would defeat the purpose.

I can understand feelings of having to add such a cost to an application, however, web servers are NOT cheap. Most people use 'hosting' companies for this very reason. The hosting services are the ones paying for the licenses and since they have a substantial customer base, we do not see the high expense of these licenses. When you look at the long term cost of a hosting service and compare it to the control you get with your own server, WAS is extremely reasonable.

A lot of posts speak of $50 store shelf applications. If we have an application that is as inexpensive as that, and we wanted to offer the features of WAS to it, we should be offering a 'shared' environment for these clients if they so choose.

Or we can go with the alternative ... locate a hosting service for the client to pay a monthly fee at, find out what databases they support, create that db format, write the code to manipulate that data, etc, etc. For me this is not a feasible alternative.

I worked with an extremely large hosting company for four years and the costs that they absorb for the web servers is phenominal. WAS is an extremely inexpensive means for us to offer what I consider a far better service to our clients.

Just my humble opinion.
                              Cheryl
                              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                              http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

This discussion was held some time ago about the pricing of WAS. At that point there were proposed levels of pricing. The consensis was a single realistic price with an unlimited license was the best deal.

Someone will always want it cheaper. The real question is what is fair value. In the overall cost of creating, distributing, and maintaining computer systems today the price is very realistic. It is probably a minor percentage of the overall cost for most systems.

If your only criteria is cost, then stick to shareware, freeware and similar programs. I use some of them myself, but when I need something that has support, has a user base to help, and can handle real projects, I buy what I need. For example, I use a $39.95 graphics program for viewing pictures and some simple editing. But I also use Photoshop, which is certainly not a $39 program. Some people will only need the features of the $39 program and that is fine. But I don't expect Adobe to match the price.

If we could get everything for nothing, that would be the best deal - for us. But the company that creates the product, whether it is you Mister Developer or Alpha Software has to make a profit to survive. I think the cost of WAS is easy to justify.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                                X