Alpha Video Training

Thread: Appending from xls or txt file

Barry Melamed

Default Appending from xls or txt file

I am just starting to learn Alpha Five. How do I take an existing database in perhaps .xls or .txt or .dbf and append it into a new Alpha Five database? I created a small one in Tables/Sets just so I could experiment with some of these functions.

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Default RE: Appending from xls or txt file

Hi Barry,

You really do not need to append it to a table. You can create a new database, then import your file and as you go through the genie you will be given an option to create a new table.

If it is a dbf, in your new database under the tables/sets tab, right click anywhere in the white space and select add table. You want to first move your dbf file to the location of the adb that you created.

Welcome to the Alpha Community and good luck.

Cheryl

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Default RE: Appending from xls or txt file

Barry,

"How do I take an existing database in perhaps .xls or .txt or .dbf and append it into a new Alpha Five database?"

To ensure we are using words in the same way, a database is a collection of tables with along with a set of unified data dictionary files.

You can add a table to a database. But Excel and text files are not tables. So you must first convert these files to tables. Then you can add them to a database.

Cheryl is right to recommend that you use the genies. Go to the control panel's operations tab. Choose new and then import. You will be give the choice of importing to a new table or to an existing one.

However convenient, this is misleading. If you examine the code created by the genie you will see that appending to a existing table is a compound process: an import to a temp table followed by an append from the temp table to the destination table. You can learn a lot from running a genie and examining the resulting code.

I second Cheryl's welcome.

Bill