Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Hmmmm....Alpha not really using their own software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm....Alpha not really using their own software

Kind of find it strange the Alpha relaunches their website with the new look and feel for promote their V6 launch. However, I dont find it very reassuring that Alpha, now that they have a full blown internet application with database support, doesn't even use their own software and server app to run their own website. Not very reassuring.

Alpha still uses .ASP scripts to run their main website and they still use .PHP scripts to run this bulletin board.

Dont you think they would have redesigned their site with their .A5W scripting to really prove this V6 works??????

Now that would show confidence in the product. Right now they either dont want to rewrite the website or they dont want any problems with an uncertain product. Food for thought for someone about to shell out the money.

RE: Hmmmm....Alpha not really using their own soft

Since we were busy writing the software, we haven't had a chance to redo anything with A5W pages.

We have discussed plans to redo the forum using Alpha Five, but it takes development time to write a full blown message board application!

Give us time! Did you really want us 'wasting' time writing message boards and web pages instead of releasing the software to you?
    Aaron Brown
    Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

JP,

We can spend time writing websites and message boards, or (as we chose) writing Alpha Five version 6. Plans are underway to migrate both the website and the message board to the Web Application Server, but it will take some time. We have full faith and a strong commitment to our product, but until days start lasting more than 24 hours, there is just so much we can do.

As a side note, up until relatively recently, microsoft.com was hosted on Linux servers.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Hi Guys,

You are right of course.
        One cannot expect you to do everything at once.

This is obviously a case of not clear thinking that JP certainly wants to take back once he understands that we -the forum people- did nag you of your socks to have V6 released as soon as you could.
        We would not have liked it at all if you would have said "Sorry folks, but first we have to re-programm our website so you have confidence in our product".

We did use V4, V5. We HAVE confidence. This is a non-issue.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Comment

No reason to get all fussy. Your points are taken and well understood. After all Alpha is a small company and doen't have the resources that MS would.

However, it would just seem logical that you would promote the product with actual use. You faith and confidence shows alot more than just promoting about it.

What I want to see is how the scripting responds to lots of hits - such as your website and/or your message board.

Comment

The Web App Server has been responding to real-world traffic for months. The Alpha Guild, Alphabay, the newsletter archives and several other sites are all hosted on the Web App Server

Lenny Forziati
            Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
            Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

JP,

I just did a quick search and find that, between the A5V5 and A5V6 boards, you have posted exactly two messages - this one and the one in which you take the Web Server to task. It seems, and I could be wrong, that you are a fairly new user of the Alpha product line.

I have been using Alpha products form close to 12 (+/-) years (there are developers/users with more time under their belt) and I can tell you that Selwyn and his development team are committed to their work and products more so than any other software product I have ever used: they can be contacted by phone and/or e-mail virtually 24/7. Have you ever tried to contacted Bill Gates?

I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I'm here to tell you that there are probably lots of things the development team could have spent their time on, but I, for one, am damn glad they focused on developing and rolling out V6. The other issues can sit on the back burner for a while.

Are there minor issues that I wish they would work on? You bet! Will they get to them? I hope so, but I much prefer that their focus, effort and attention be directed to V6.

Can I suggest that you lighten up and see V6 for the unbelievable product it is and not got so excited about what it doesn't do, or what they haven't gotten to yet?

Dave
              Dave Jampole
              www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

JP,

One of the traditions for this message board which I value is that we use our real names. Please consider doing so, too. I believe you can 'Modify Your Preferences' using a link while posting or replying to a message.

-- tom

Comment

RIGHT ON DAVE.
                  Right on the money......
                  Al

Comment

JP

One thing you may have already gathered by virtue of the rapid responses to your original posting is the loyalty of the Alpha community.

Loyalty is not a given right but has to be earned. Selwyn and the team at Alpha Software have earned that right by the continuing efforts made to make Alpha software products the very best available.

They are always available to resolve any issues and are constantly striving to improve and enhance the software. This latest version has the makings of being a stunning success, propelling the company into the big league (Although I personally think they already are in the big league in many many ways).

Whenever the company launches a new product they are ALWAYS on hand to make sure that it delivers what it says it will do on the box.

So IF you are a developer with a genuine interest in using THE best software from a company which offers THE best support around then I respectfully suggest that you lose the initials, tell us your real name so that we can welcome you to this community and help you whenever possible.

Regards

Glen Schild
                    Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

You people need to chill. You are very wrong on many topics and you should never generalize about someones experience.

I am not a newbie to Alpha. I have been using it for 4 years. Not exactly long term, but not a newbie.

2nd, JP is my real name. That comment was simply dumb. No offense here but dont make a stupid comment. I could sign in a Donald Duck and that would have bearing on my use or concerns as an Alpha user.

My questions were VERY PROFESSIONAL and DEAD ON - is this product worth buying. Period. If you get offended that usually means in the business world those people are usually trying to hide something. If you read one of my other posts I defended Alpha's stance to this point.

Bottom line, there are many people out there that have the same concerns I do. I want to explore in more detail this new server product offering but I certainly dont want to migrate to it there are bottleneck issues.

If you are truely professional in doing what you claim you do then let me ask these questions. Your trying to squelch my questions just brings out more and more question marks to other users of Alpha like myself.

Comment

Let me add one more thing. I purchased the so called Accounting software that Alpha was so proud to email everyone about. It should have never been promoted directly by Alpha. Period. The developer had spent lots of time and for the most part it did a basic job, but beyond that it had and still has tons of flaws and is very, very hard to use, and in some cases poorly built.

After my emails to the Rabins they quietly yanked it from promotion and I was able to point out flaws in the design. Now it is buried in the developers section.

My point is that I have been waiting for this web server version for 2 years now but I want honest feedback from other users like me on what they think. I also want feedback from Alpha employees who get on this board and tell me what the answers to my questions are, such as any bottleneck issues. After all, they call it a server version, but what exactly does server mean with its ability to handle lots of requests at one time.

If you numb nuts want to fight about it you have personal issues. The reason for this message board is for questions just like this.

Quit the bashing and let people read my questions and let them answer back.

Comment

In the immortal words of the "bad guy" in the movie "Robocop"... "uuoow... GUNS!".

Hey JP... It's cool, dude.

You posed a "legit" question. Your concerns are valid (and I believe you're somewhat satisfied with the answers given by the Alpha Software guys... I read your other post. You were supportive).

I just know that, if I had just built a new system, I'd kind of "ease into it" rather than going "pedal to the metal". I'd give it a little time to "work all the bugs out" before I completely changed over.

As for some of the responses you got from the "Alpha-holics" (not a derogatory term... I'm one too.), you've gotta remember that some of these guys, just like you and me, have been "screwed over" by some of the "big boys" in the software world and are extremely pleased to get the kind of prompt response and attention they get from the Alpha Software guys (by the way... Richard Rabins is one good guy!).

Don't hold it against us, we've just found something that works really well (and is "fixed" quite rapidly when it doesn't).

So, all in all, I'd say that you got the kind of reaction that guys get when they say something questionable about another guy's wife or girlfriend (they know she's not perfect, but they love her anyway!).

By the way, I have an uncle named "J.D. (on his birth certificate!), so "JD" is completely cool with me.

I remain

Your humble servant,

E. Rushton Gilbert

Comment

Sorry about that, Chief,

I meant "JD" is completely cool with me... in the above post(typed too fast!).

E. Rushton Gilbert

Comment

Face quite red!

"JP"..."JP"... "JP"... is completely cool with me (finally got it right). Whew, typed too fast again!

Your(embarrassed)humble servant,

E. Rushton Gilbert

(Let me check to see if I spelled my own name right before I hit "send message"... OK, cool... Send...

Comment

Working...
                              X