Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Hmmmm....Alpha not really using their own software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Hmmmm....Alpha not really using their own soft

You are camouflaging your tracks here.
    JP might be your real name, but it will surely not be the whole name. You might even have a lastname.
    So just using two letters IS leaving you anonymous here.
    No matter what you say.

Furthermore it is rather strange that you say to have years of experience with Alpha Five, and having posted just two messages on the board in the last couple of days, and then ask yourself whether the product is reliable or not. That is strange for someone having used a product for years without having to ask any question on the forum.
    You would think he had gotten proof enough already for the reliability of products from Alpha in the past.

It is your attitude that needs adapting here.
    You should ask yourself WHY everyone is hitting on your posting. Could it have something to do with the rather aggresive and negative atmosphere it spreads ?
    Or was that your goal after all ?

This forum does not have a lack of criticisme for Alpha Products at all. It read through all postings carefully, you will see that there is tons of critics.
    It is not the criticisme that bothers, but the tone and atmosphere in your posting.
    It is not us who need to chill, it is you who needs to adjust your attitude.

This being said, I welcome you the forum nevertheless.

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Again you dumb a#$ you are the only poster of this group that is offended by anything. Read my other post where, again, you are the only one that is offended. You mention there are other people offended by my posts. WRONG. Read them and you will see legitimate responses from Alpha and other people.

Hey, read my other post about my name. What and moron you are.

By the way, I am willing to bet that that 95% of the people who buy Alpha software dont go to this posting board. You think because I have only posted 2 posts that I am some kind of inexperienced user. I say that maybe your life revolves around this posting board. How about you get a life in the real world. Maybe you sit in this posting board as your life. That is OK for you but for me, I like to do other things. You dont have to sit in the board to like the product.

Get a life and let posters use this board. You sound like the disgruntled guy outside a night club who cant get in for some reason and sits there and complains and yells at everyone who walks in. It really sounds like you have a little animosity or something.

Comment

Marcel,

I think that if this, uuh, gentleman, was ignored, it would be best for all concerned. It appears obvious that he suffers from an overdose of attitude.

Dave
        Dave Jampole
        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

To JP or whoever:

I think if you would have started your FIRST MESSAGE , with something like "help me understand" rather than insinuating statesments you might have been better off. Your first message doesn't exactly read like someone looking for answers, rather it looks like a condemnation of the product and a cheap shot at Alpha at the end.

I'm new to Alpha from Filemkaer. I wasn't even that good in Filemaker but I had an idea and worked have made 6 figures with it the first year. I'm re-doing it in Alpha. The message board and the people who do graciously seemingly set on it all day are owed a great deal of gratitude from everyone. Most people would pay hundreds of dollars for answers to simple questions this community freely gives.

By the way Dale Jr. doesn't drive his race car to work on Sundays either.

Thanks
          jc lewis

Comment

Let me slap you on the wrist too. My comments were dead on. Period. I picked those words for a reason. I was not trying to buttercup my comments to make this a feel good rub my back bulletin board. The point was and is still, Alpha should have their website using their new system. Period. I also have said I understand they are a small company. I do find it reassuring, after reading one of the posts from an Alpha employee, that in fact they do use their new system in the AlphaBay, something I never have a reason to use.

You people need to quit being psycholgist or sociologist and let the other people, who do understand what I am talking about and who DO have the same same concerns I have, let them read my posts - without you idiots trying to act as psychologists.

My point and my words were chosen correctly. I was making a statement. I was NOT asking a question per se.

Comment

As I said, you were making a statement, allbeit a stupid and condemming one. Someone like you never ask questions. You remind me of a guy I know who has a degree in programming. Out of work , bankrupt. No people skills, knows it all.

You didn't come here for answers, only to spout off your stupid remarks to people who are obvioulsly a lot smarter than you.

JC

Comment

Agreed with julian lewis,
                please be smart if you want make a discussion or ask a question here JP. No one is perfect.

Comment

Well it is obvious there is no getting through to this individual. PERIOD. He starts a "legitimate" question with an accusatory undertone and then cannot take the heat when told the poor attitude is not appreciated here.

I AM a newbie and one of the determining factors in choosing a database development system is the availabilty and amount of support that comes with the software. The truth is JP, this is one of the most excellent communities with some of the most knowledgeable people I have ever had the privilege to be associated with. This community is an extremely friendly community and, quite frankly, doesn't need anyone coming on the forum with an unprovoked, poor attitude. PERIOD.

Do not be upset when loyal Alpha users are only defending Alpha's company and community members. If only there were more companies and individuals with as much fortitude as Alpha's in this industry, our jobs in the technology field would be so much smoother! PERIOD.

You can cross my name off your Christmas list, too, if it makes you happy. I won't lose any sleep.

- Scott Crowe (Will not be a newbie for long with the help of THIS community!)

P.S. PERIOD!

Comment

Over here in UK, JP stands for �Justice of the Peace�. These people are outstanding citizens from almost any profession who become magistrates in our lower courts of law. They have intelligence and understanding on the whole, and have been trained to dispense justice.

I initially mistook JP for one of these people, but on reading his comments realized he was just plain JP or rather jpellis from www.officeandwarehouse.com. Interesting site JP.

Well JP, I think you have a lot to say and much of it is right to the point. Not everybody�s point of view, but a refreshing and sometimes valid point of view.

It�s a shame you have had harsh words said to you and you in turn have issued many harsh words.

Many of us in UK admire the plain speaking of US citizens combined with their politeness. Many here also dislike the aggression of some US politicians and maybe this aggression rubs off onto some people.

Well now I�ve dipped my toe in the water

And my point? This is a great message board which I read frequently and contribute to occasionally. If I want to watch a fight, I�ll watch Tyson, then come here to listen to intelligent and useful narrative.

RJ .... oops, I mean
                    Robin James

Comment

You remind me of the type of guy who sits in class waiting for an opportunity to point out the mistakes of the instructor. You tell yourself it's for the benefit of the class, but that's not it at all, and everybody knows it but you. Not to mention, you're not man enough to apologize for your tone when you jump the gun and are corrected about Alpha's use of it's own product for building company websites:

Lenny's comment:
                      "The Alpha Guild, Alphabay, the newsletter archives and several other sites are all hosted on the Web App Server."

your accusations:
                      "Hmmmmm..."
                      "Right now they either (1) dont want to rewrite the website or they (2) dont want any problems with an uncertain product."

Instead you revert to name-calling and a posture of defensiveness, clinging to your untenable position. It's a shame that the value of your inquiries is almost entirely obscured by that. A simple "(When) Are you planning to re-do the site & message board with A5v6?" would have sufficed. These guys have slaved over this labor of love for over 2 years. Show a little respect.

Comment

Maybe it's time to let this thread ride off into the sunset..................

Comment

Amen. NO ONE seems to be reading the messages in any of the posts carefully, just responding in a knee jerk reaction and taking everything personally. The rest of us will go about our business wondering what all of the fuss was about.

Jerry

Comment

This is probably the longest thread in the forum..
                            so much to acomplish so little..

Comment

Members of the Jury.
                              JP did not start this fight...he simply asked a question...which was answered by TWO Alpha staff...Aaron & Lenny
                              Members of the jury...please read the initial postings again.

You will notice that it was the bigoted & childish comments by Marcel Onck...supported by Dave Jampole that started this fight
                              They and other like minded Alpha users will need get it into their heads...That the release of WAS & the Client Server edition
                              Will cause this forum to be visited by countless Alpha users whose names will not be familiar with the "family"...PLUS it will be invaded...by a vast number of potential developers and veteran users of all manner of products & tools.

Their quest will be to examine the Alpha portfolio and see if it will enable them to learn & earn...quicker, simpler...with the minimum of fuss, time, cost & effort.

So to earn they have to learn. Many and varied questions will be asked...in all manner of tone & spellings by named and 'Alias' authors.
                              Questions about...Benchmarks...conversion...Native access versus ADO/ODBC
                              WAS examples...samples
                              How ROBUST is WAS
                              .Net...Java...ActiveX integration & implications etc
                              Support logging & response times
                              Which ISP's accept WAS applications.
                              WAS Server Comparison Costs
                              ...and so on

Most visitors won't have a lot of time...they will just want the FACTS
                              Interrogating visitors or replying with narrow-minded comments/snide remarks...is anti-social & will not help promote good words about 'Alpha' products & it's community...Nor will it help create a greater awareness of it's capabilities.

Members of the Jury...Were the comments to JP from Marcel Onck...Dave Jampole...+ others...bigoted & childish?
                              Members of the Jury...Will bigoted & childish comments...Help Alpha's Crusade?
                              Have a productive and rewarding Summer everyone"bg"
                              Regards
                              Tony Moriarty
                              ...a sign post to the "real world"
                              http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1165034,00.asp
                              Clash of the Titans: SQL Databases
                              By Timothy Dyck
                              March 26, 20

Comment

Claudio

You said it all. So little accomplished. The jury finds no one innocent. While there were good points raised on both sides, they were lost in the rhetoric. Shall we call this a draw and move on to productive posts?

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                                X