Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pricing

I have an app which I sell. My users do not have Alpha5 so part of my app is a runtime vesion of Alpha5.

A few clients have asked for the ability to "access" their data on their FS via the Net. Examples: salesman on the road to look up PO's or teachers/profs to enter a NEW repair work order request.

What would I have to purchase from Alpha5 to do this? I have already upgraded from version5.0 to 6.0 Development.

What would EACH client have to buy if they want to use the NET capability that I will be programming in, in the near future? So that they can upgrade their data within their own building/factory.

I find the price structure confusing and maybe someone will give me a more clear idea of what I need to purchase and what a client might need to buy.

Big thanks.

RE: Pricing

If you want to continue to privide a desktop app to your customers, you will need the runtime, just like you do in V5.

If you would like to additionally provide web access, each customer's file server that is to also become a web server must have an unlimited Web Application Server license.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

So each of my clients who wud like to take advantage of Web data entry would need to buy the Web Server unlimited from Alpha 5 directly.

Comment

They would need to buy it and ultimately it would have to come from us. But that doesn't mean you couldn't act as a reseller or roll the license fee into your project price.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Hi Lenny,

So that strategy ends the possibilities of us developers to deliver solutions totaly independend of Alpha Software.

Our customer needs to purchase a license for the WAS from you.

I do not think that is a wise solution at all.

First of all my customers are not even aware of Alpha being used for their product. In my opinion, they don't need to be either.
          I future, for web applications, every customer MUST order the WAS from you.

It does not only limits our possibilities, it also raises the price of any web solution we might deliver with $699 per license! So goodbye to any low-priced websolution involved software !

I think the WAS should be implemented into the license structure just like the Runtime.

Why did you choose this unholy idea ?

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Hi,

I think there may be some confusion over this. Let me state what I believe is the way the License issue works and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

I am a developer. I get Client A. I write a web app for him, purchase a web server license. Now Client A's web site is up for all the world to access.

Then along comes Client B. I write an app for Client B, and will need a new web server license for for his app. Then Client B's web site is up for all of the world to visit.

If I get Client C then again I would need to obtain another web license.

That's my interpretation of the license.

Thanks,

Dan
            Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Marcel, as I mentioned above, you can become a reseller and your customer would notneed to buy directly from us. There is also the option of their app being hosted at an ISP or other provider, in which case their server does not need a license.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Hi Lenny,

Swift reaction, thanks !

Well, that might be true, but the license agreement is between Alpha and my client, so I would at least have to inform my client about that. Why does my client have to be involved in this ?

Furthermore, when I want to create a product designed for the greater public to use with webfunctionality, and I would like to sell it for let us say $49 I would have to add $699 to the pricetab........

Question remains: why did you not choose for the solution similar to the Runtime (which works great!) ?

Don't you see it limits our possibilities thus your sales chances ?

Or do I not see it clearly ?

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Dan,

I think you are wrong.
                  It is not you who needs to buy the WAS license, but your client.

Although it can be done through you as a reseller, it will still be your client who has a licenseagreement with Alpha as I understand it.

The license for the WAS will be on your clients name and not on your name.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Comment

We don't care who buys the license. You just need to have one for the server you are hosting from.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Marcel, if you choose to build a $49 web app in Cold Fusion, what does your client need?

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Marcell,

Whether we like it or not, atleast it is spelled out and it is up to us whether we choose to use it.

There, I did not insert a negative!!! Thoughts don't count.

Dave
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Lenny,

I did not see it that way.

I just compared it with the structure we have now, and find this a disturbing change in things.

You will be right, but it does not change the pricetab for my client, neither the fact that my client would have to be involved in the license structure with Alpha, which is not an optimal situation either.

Pitty.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Lenny,

That is a little indifferent and incorrect as well, as there are legal issues involved here regarding license agreements rights and obligations.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Comment

Hi Lenny,

One thing I am not too clear on is different apps on the same server. If I write one app and put it on a server, then write another app for the same server...Will I need to get another license?

Just thinking this may be a partial solution where developers can also expand into web hosting partnerships.

Thanks,

Dan
                              Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Working...
                              X