Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Pricing

And to any Canadian customers, the Web Server app will cost Can$932.

So if I want to add a WEB feature to our presen app that means our price would have to increase from Can$3,150 to over $4,000 or 29.5%.

That is a hit so we will have to tread carefully.

Comment

Hi D. Chiasson,

I did not get your last sentence. What do you mean by it ?
      Sorry, not an English native speaker......

When I could live with is a structure where you would get somehow limited rights and then put the price for the WAS in the productpackage price like the Runtime or even put it IN the runtime.

Then you could also have a separate product with full rights for the full price to be sold separately.

I do not even know if this is possible, but it is an idea.

Your product is priced at $3.150. What would happen if your product were priced at � 450 ??
      You just could not offer webbased functionality because it would outprice your solution!

I am still stunned by this. I must not see it clearly.
      I will read the thread two times more to be sure.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Hi Dan,

That is good thinking !
        Although it is a pitty that this even has to be considered.

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Looking at WAS from a perspective of a medium to large company that will be running several database apps in which the WAS server could become a cornerstone of the department, I can justify the price of the server license.

But, I also have concerns about having to charge a customer $748 for for $49 app. When I first heard about web functionality in Alpha v6, I thought 'Great!'. I can provide low cost applications to churches that don't require client installations, which should reduce future troubleshooting. So if I wanted to market an app that can be accessed through a browser to churches for $299, I now have to charge $999 for this application of which I only receive $299. It is because of this type of situation that we need a (much cheaper) WAS license that would only let us run 1 or 2 apps at a time through the server. For example, if the server is only going to run 1 app, then charge $99 for the WAS license...2 apps $199....

The challenge is 'How do you regulate this?'. I don't know, but I think there needs to be a consideration for situations like I mentioned above.

Comment

I am being told that MySQL is very expensive(not my words) and makes me wonder if Alpha is kindof following along the same price structuring paths as MySQL. Alpha seems to put some store in that product? It seems MySql is somewhat inexpensive for one user but goes up rapidly where other providers do not go up so much with repeat users?

Someone help me here. This is more of a wonderment and asking than saying. Is this true?

I do believe that for my present needs, my isp provider will do just fine. Hopefully in the very near future, I will have a need large enough to warrant the web server.

Dave
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Another way to look at this is the customer pays $600 for the WAS, and saves a lot more in programming time since you can create the app a lot faster. I don't know what you all charge per hour but $600 isn't a lot of hours.
              Also, I think Alpha needs sufficient return on their investment to keep developing and growing. If they don't have the revenue to keep making new apps you probably won't be too happy either. Maybe this isn't the app if you want a $49 internet program. IIS if free, you can use that if the savings in time aren't worth $550.

Russ

Comment

Dave, a MySQL Pro license is $500, regardless of the number of users. Depending on your use, you may not even need to purchase a license. Considering it has probably 95% of the capability of Oracle but costs about 5% of the price, I would certainly not call MySQL expensive.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
                Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Is this correct: if you are going to sell an app for 49.00, (and if so you would anticipate selling a BUNCH of them,) then you would host the app yourself - i.e., you put the app on a server (your own or rented space,) buy one license, and then let anyone with a secret password, etc., use it.

If that is correct, then an unlimited number of permitted users could use it, and the 699 (or whatever,) is only expended once. But you would need to sell a bunch to cover the cost.

If that is correct, then Dan's question becomes relevant. If you had a server (or rented space,) capable of handling multiple apps and a lot of hits, (say you have three different 49.00 apps,) but that all run off the same server, would you need three licenses, or would one license handle all three - like runtime is only limited to the users per app, not the total number of users using runtime.
                  Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                  972 524 8714
                  [email protected]

Comment

Hi Guys,

Of course it could be possible to deploy a webserver yourself and have your customers run their low-priced apps on it (if the WAS license agreement allows this).
                    But that again means that you limit the freedom of the customer.

It would mean "you can buy my $49 (or whatever low price) product, but you need to run it on MY server.
                    It ain't optimal either.

No, I think the solution would be in the edge of where there is a simple WAS license packed with the Runtime.
                    So the Runtime would include simple WAS functionality to run 1 application.

Then you could also have a stand-alone WAS with full functionlity and full price.

IF I would like to implement web-capability in a low priced product, I could not do it now.
                    My product priced ad $49 would have to go through a price raise of 1526 % !!

Greetings,

Marcel

Comment

Sorry, forgot the other issue:

My customer would have to register the WAS license to his name.
                      Lenny says "we don't care who buys it, as long as you have a license for every server you deploy" but that is too simple of course.
                      Legal issues are involved here.
                      When I would buy 100 WAS licenses and resell them to my customers without Alpha knowing who they were, they would not agree to that would they.
                      So my customer needs to get the license, and in best case scenario I could act as reseller, but that still needs my client to be involved in the process.

When I buy a car, why should I bother to know the brand of the robot with which the car was created in the factory ?
                      Why does my client have to know Alpha was used in the first place, and in the second place have to get a license for the WAS NEXT to a license for my product ?
                      That is not a workable solution for low priced products that are sold off-shelf in stores like mine now.
                      It is a no-go.

Regards,

Marcel

Comment

Marcel,

I sell cars! GM cars! if you purchase a car from me, you have to know it came from GM because of warranty purposes and I am DAMN sure not going to let you forget me. That is why I use my Alpha CRM so dilligently.

I think I am getting to see what they are saying. I may not agree, but see it.

Why can we not deploy it in our name with alpha on clients server and get paid for the whole process and never let them have a problem like isps today do it. We also have control of the apps too.

Dave
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This issue is definitly a big problem for developers. The cost of their applications will increase a lot, minimizing the number of small clients that they can sell their apps.
                          It is my beleive that the way the licensing is done for V6 and WAS must be changed. I don't know the answer to this issue, but I sure hope that Richard is looking into it. I was going to buy the WAS and V6, but now after understanding the way licensing works, I noticed that 60% of my clients (Small churches, non-profits, small businesses)the price of my application is out of their budgets. I used to sell a V5 application for about $500, but now if I use WAS my application will double if I want to still make the same profit. Most of them got very excited when I told them that soon they can have a web application for about the same price. Now I have to break the news.

The Mexican
                          The Mexican

Comment

A comparison would be to buy a new car with a 150 HP engine but there is an option for a person to buy a 300 HP engine at an extra charge.

To "someone" who wants the bigger engine or Web functionality then it is EXPECTED that the buyer of the car or software will have to pay more.

It is a customers choice whether they want WEB capability or not. They want more horsepower than they will need to pay more.

I totally agree that Alpha5 needs to make a reasonable return on their time, $ and risk to stay in business.

Based on past history, Richard & the Group have always offered an EXCELLENT BANG for the buck. I expect that to continue.

We will be offering WEB capability in our application but as an OPTION so we don't price ourselves out of the market viz "smaller" potential users.

Just my "3 cents" acounting for exchange rate.

Comment

I am going to purchase my v6 within the first 90 days as i normally have with other versions and will look at the other when my Current obligations begin to expire. If at that time Alpha is only "reasonably" higher, then I will choose alpha. My heart is there!

Dave
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave !

Regarding your example of the cars you sell:

Suppose I bought a splendid GM car from you.....
                                Would I need to agree on a license with every supplier of every part of your car ?
                                Would I need a license for the engine ? The tires from Goodyear? the door-handles ?

See my point ?

Marcel

Comment

Working...
                                X