Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Linking problem between pages??? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linking problem between pages??? Help

I have a grid with a linking field called key. I want the user to go to a new page for the detail view which is a gridlink component.
    The parent grid is call Decend_disp_Box and the dbf is Decendents.dbf
    The linked component is called Linked_disp_box
    The page is called view.a5w and contains a reference to x_GridLinker.decend_disp_Box.

I have tried every combination of the following link code on the calling grid
    view.a5w?x_GridLinker.Decend_disp_Box_filter=key="{Key}"
    using all of the above names and noting works. I alway get the correct page but with the first record

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated :D :D

Originally posted by robert swanson
    I have a grid with a linking field called key. I want the user to go to a new page for the detail view which is a gridlink component.
    The parent grid is call Decend_disp_Box and the dbf is Decendents.dbf
    The linked component is called Linked_disp_box
    The page is called view.a5w and contains a reference to x_GridLinker.decend_disp_Box.

I have tried every combination of the following link code on the calling grid
    view.a5w?x_GridLinker.Decend_disp_Box_filter=key="{Key}"
    using all of the above names and noting works. I alway get the correct page but with the first record

Any ideas would be deeply appreciated :D :D

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but your filter, translated into plain English, says:
    show the view.a5w page, and put a filter on the parent table (grid) in which the "key" field is what is found in {key} -- which I would think would just redisplay the same page you are on when you call the link.

Comment

Better explanation

Sorry I wasn't clear. The details in the previous post were all for the target page and I'm coming from another page.

let's start from scratch. I have 3 databases, parent(descendents), spouse, and children. the first page has two linked grids showing both parent and spouse and is keyed with a tree type structure. Selecting the key would take you to another page containing a detailed parent grid, spouse grid, and children grid.

Selecting a key on the child grid would reopen the page with the child as the parent together with their spouse and children.

I guess you could call this drilling down. The thing that I'm confused about is the syntax to be attached to the calling field. I,m not sure whether to use the grid componet, the link grid componet or the reference to the gridlinker on the destination page( which is what was illustrated. ) The link genie is of little help.

Also is it possible to use the same database for both the parent and multiple children in two different grids at the same time. (maybe by using different alias???)
      Last edited by robert swanson; 09-29-2005, 10:32 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Have you looked at example 1.9 in the sample web app that ships with a5. This seems like it does what you want.

Comment

Thanks Selwyn I did try what was in the sample
          here is the link field { view.a5w?descend_filter=key="{Key}" }
          and here was what was missing from my destination page

with tmpl_GridLinker
          style_name = "WinXP"
          edit.TargetPage = "page2.a5w" What does this do
          componentName = "descend"
          end with

It appears that this works with a grid component but I'm using V7 and a gridlink component with a parent and two child components and I don't know how to reference parent. The above example references the gridlink and it doesn't work. I get the new page but only the first record not the one I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by robert swanson

Selecting a key on the child grid would reopen the page with the child as the parent together with their spouse and children.
            Unless I'm mistaken in what you're doing -- when you select a linking field on the child, if you want to drill down to the child, you should open a different page based on either (1) the child table alone, or (2) an inverted set with the child as parent. If you keep going to the same page then all you'll get is the same page all over again.

Comment

the statement: edit.TargetPage = "page2.a5w"

inside the component you can define a target page that will be opened after the user clicks the 'submit' button.

all that we are doing here is overriding the setting that was defined inside the component to be something else.

the ability to override settings in a component at runtime is very powerful because it makes components highly reuseable.

Comment

Everyone seems to be missing the main point.

What do I put in the linking field on the source page to get to the destination page which contains a gridlinker component? All the instructions I can find take me to pages with a single grid not a gridlinker which is new in V7.

Comment

filtering records on a page that has a GridLinker

Creating a URL to open a page that contains a GridLinker, and filtering the page so that only selected records in the parent Grid of the Gridlinker are shown is no different than creating a URL to show a page with a Grid.

For example, take example 3.1 in the demo app that ships with Alpha Five.

This page shows a gridLinker with two grids. The parent grid is based on the Invoice_Header table.

Say you wanted to open this page and show just invoice number "00005"

Here is the URL:

http://localhost:8070/Web_Applications_Demo/default/Orders_wItems.a5w?OrderHeader_filter=invoice_number="000005"

(in this case I am running the server on my machine using port 8070. in your case, your machine name and port might be different).

In the above example, the page that we are opening is 'orders_witems.a5w'.

This page contains a gridlinker.

The alias of the parent grid in the GridLinker is 'orderHeader' (the alias name is defined when you create the GridLinker)

The query Parameter OrderHeader_Filter is used to specify the filter expression that is applied to the primary grid in the GridLinker.

Comment

Thanks Selwyn. I didn't want to hyperlink because I only coming from pages within the DB. However this worked

View.a5w?decend_disp_box_link_1c=key={Key}

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X