Alpha Video Training

Thread: AOL and port 587

Real Name
    James Urbanski

Default AOL and port 587

I have client who uses AOL. He is trying to set up his e-mail and keeps getting an error that tells him to use port 587 when sending from his AOL screen name. Does anyone know if he should use his AOL screen name for the user name or the e-mail address?

Thanks

Jim

Real Name
    Rick Gerlach

Google is your friend.

http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/imap/

The AOL IMAP and SMTP server addresses are:

* imap.aol.com (port 143)
    * smtp.aol.com (port 587)

Log in to the IMAP server using the appropriate AOL screen name (with any spaces removed -- "John Doe" becomes "JohnDoe" or "johndoe" -- this is what we call "normalizing" a Screen Name) and that Screen Name's AOL (not AIM) Password.

The SMTP server requires authentication in order to send mail through it. Just as with the IMAP server, log in using the normalized AOL Screen Name and its AOL Password. You do not need to use the AOL SMTP server, but your message will not appear in your AOL Sent Mail and may be blocked by filters that do not believe AOL members should be sending email without using the AOL SMTP server.

Access to these servers is available whether you are dialed into AOL or another provider, regardless of whether the AOL software is signed on. AOL members using hourly rate plans will not be charged for accessing these servers -- provided they're not dialed into AOL while doing it. Access to the servers will be listed as "<NetMail>" in the Detailed Bill.

These servers will not work for a program that does not support IMAP and Authenticated SMTP. AOL does not have a POP3 server.
    Some ISP's are moving this direction per RFC 2476 - Message Submission as an anti-spam measure, since many ISP's block port 25 for SMTP for foreign mail servers on their networks anyway.

Sounds like you'll need to provide for SMTP authentication if you haven't done so. Also make sure any outbound firewall rules are changed to allow traffic to the port.
    Last edited by Rick Gerlach; 10-06-2005 at 06:51 PM.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Jim, do a search, this was discussed in the last week or so. The short answer is that Alpha Five will not work with AOL's servers

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski
    I have client who uses AOL. He is trying to set up his e-mail and keeps getting an error that tells him to use port 587 when sending from his AOL screen name. Does anyone know if he should use his AOL screen name for the user name or the e-mail address?

Thanks

Jim

Real Name
    Rick Gerlach

Yep, this in the Alpha Five FAQ too. Alpha Five's email client can send mail using AOL's SMTP server, but because it doesn't support IMAP, you can't receive AOL mail, unfortunately.

Maybe your client could forward his AOL mail to a gmail account, or just use a gmail account instead.
    Last edited by Rick Gerlach; 10-06-2005 at 07:33 PM.

Real Name
    James Urbanski

Thanks for your help, I'll try working with this later this week.

Jim

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default A solution I found

Most clients of mine have either AOL, MSN, or some similar ISP that does not have POP3 - but an easy fix is for them to get a 2nd ISP like SWB that does have POP3 and set it as the default client. I have MSN and SBC - and have SWB as the default email client, and have Alpha set to use its settings, and it works fine. Setting the 2nd ISP, like SBC as the default will in no way negatively affect their AOL or MSN use of email.

Real Name
    James Urbanski

Don't they object to the extra expense of a 2nd ISP?

JIm

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

so far, not that much. But I can see how in certain cases people could gripe.