Alpha Video Training

Thread: A switch for compacting

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Default A switch for compacting

I have one "foreign" table in a database (actually an ACT dbf table) that would be messed up if a user were to be able to access and run a general compact of the entire database. Of course I can keep most users out of the control panel, but at least one needs to get to it, and, as they say, if it (a compact) can happen it will happen.

What is need for cases like this is a per app way of preventing a compact of all the tables in a database, or maybe password protecting it, or maybe a flag on the table "Do not compact." Then of course the developer would set selective compacting (with a table flag one could go ahead with the general compact.

Ray Lyons

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Ray,

You might not want to hear this. But it is pretty easy to compact an individual table or set in xbasic: dictionary.update("table or set name here")

You could keep a list of tables to be compacted in a table or text file and fetch through the list. It's not a lot of work.

Real Name
    Stephen Williams

Another option is to use xbasic to add the ACT table when it is needed, drop it when it isn't.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Peter,

In my v6 post I made it clearer that I can easily set up compacting this or that but not all. But that does not stop the user from getting to the control panel and doing what must not be done.

Stephen,

You have me thinking. Yes, I can add the table via xbasic and then drop it, but now you have me wondering: Does it ever have to be in the database in the first place? Being in makes it convenient for me the developer (e.g., I can use the default browse to check things out) but the more I think about it, the way I foresee my users interacting with it does not necessarily require that it be in the database at all. I can probably do everything I need to do via change_begin() change_end() routines. If I need to display data from the ACT table I could probably do so via xbasic and an xdialog. Hmm, back to the drawing board!

By the way, in case anyone is wondering, A5 can change almost any field (but not the ones special to ACT) in an ACT dbf table with no problems, even when it is open in ACT. You cannot, however, enter new records as, among possibly other things, this requires ACT generated data in special ACT fields that we have no way of generating.

Thanks guys.

Ray Lyons

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Ray,

You are correct that it is not necessary to add the table to the db in order to use it. In fact, if you've created any A5 forms/reports in the ACT table, you should even be able to use those layouts in your app without attaching the table to your database. I believe the syntax is something like FormName@FullDataDictionaryPath.ddd (I love it! The message board thinks that's an e-mail address!)

I often work with temp tables that are not attached to the db. Sometimes they are stored on the server and sometimes on the local machine depending on what I'm doing.