Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

.and. problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.and. problems

I've had this problem before but I can't remember what I did to resolve it or what caused it. I have situation where I need to filter on two conditions. Condition 1 works and returns the expected items. If I add Condition 2 in, however, every item is returned.

In other words:

?table.external_record_content_get(tbl, afield", "", "cond1=.T.")

returns a subset of what is returned by:

?table.external_record_content_get(tbl, afield", "", "cond1=.T. .and. cond2()")

This, of course, should never ever be possible, logically, because anything ANDed to anything else should only be able to reduce the set. I have had it happen before (can't find it on the boards, now, but I'm pretty sure I've brought it up).

The only thing I can figure is that as Cond2() is a routine, and creates a query, that somehow that's clobbering another filter somewhere. Cond2() works fine on its own, just as Cond1=.T. does.

I know that's not a lot of info to go on, but I'm hoping to trigger a memory in someone.<s> Thanks for any thoughts.

If you don't know what cond2() might be can you at least post the source for it? if you're using the correct syntax it's a user defined function, and you may be able to find and open it (design mode) on the Code tab of your control panel. -- t

Comment

Please verify what you said.

does this expression actually work, as you presented it ?

?table.external_record_content_get(tbl, afield", "", "cond1=.T.")

Seems to me there's a quote mark needed just before afield. You'll do better here if you show the actual expression, describing the properties of each term used in the expression.

-- t

Comment

I changed the table names to protect the innocent.<s>

The code illustrating the problem is below, and I found the thing causing the problem which I'll post in response to your other message, though no solution occurs to me, perhaps it will to you.

Code:
        eqno="00000004"

cond1 = "equip_no="+quote(eqno)
        ?table.external_record_content_get("item_equipinv", "trim(equipdesc)+chr(9)+trim(id_no)", "", cond1)
        = 6' Scaffold	00000003
        6' Scaffold	00000004
        6' Scaffold	00000005

sdate=date()
        edate=date()
        cond2 = "EquipFree(Id_No, {"+sdate+"}, {"+edate+"}, ScheduleType)"
        ?table.external_record_content_get("item_equipinv", "trim(equipdesc)+chr(9)+trim(id_no)", "", cond2) 
        = Forklift	00000001
        4500 Watt Generator	00000002
        6' Scaffold	00000003
        6' Scaffold	00000004
        6' Scaffold	00000005
        Forklift 10 ft	00000006

Forklift 10 ft	00000007

filter=cond1+".and."+cond2
        ?filter
        = equip_no="00000004".and.EquipFree(Id_No, {10/07/2005}, {10/07/2005}, ScheduleType)

'this should not return anything more than COND1 by itself.
        ?table.external_record_content_get("item_equipinv", "trim(equipdesc)+chr(9)+trim(id_no)", "", filter)
        = Forklift	00000001
        4500 Watt Generator	00000002
        6' Scaffold	00000003
        6' Scaffold	00000004
        6' Scaffold	00000005
        Forklift 10 ft	00000006
        Forklift 10 ft	00000007

Comment

I'm sorry: I do know what cond2() is, it's my routine. My point is there should NEVER be a case where cond1 AND cond2 results in more items than COND1 by itself.

I found the cause, however. In cond2() is a routine that opens a table, performs a query and returns true or false based on the results of that query. However, I've reduced it to this:
          Code:
                tbl = table.open("XjoBEquip")
                tbl.close()
                EquipFree=.T.
          And the problem remains. If I take out the table open and close, it works. In other words, returning .T. does what's expected--I get the same thing as I would with COND1 alone. If return .F., I get nothing, of course.

But regardless of whether I return .T. or .F., if I open xJobEquip or any table, I get everything in the table, including things that COND1 should have eliminated.

Comment

Blake,

I suspect you might have an ordering problem with the filter evaluation. Try something that results in a filter like this

(equip_no="00000004").and.EquipFree(Id_No, {10/07/2005}, {10/07/2005}, ScheduleType)
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Blake,

I see what you're saying now. It looks like something that should be reported using "Send a bug report". In the meantime I'm curious:

a) whether you get the same results if you switch the order of the two expressions within the filter?

b) what results you'd get if you used only your EquipFree() udf in the filter expression?

I suspect there's a timing issue here, since your udf may be relatively slow, but I can't say I've ever attempted what you're doing, either, so this is simple speculation on my part.

-- tom

Comment

Ira,

Originally posted by csda1
                I suspect you might have an ordering problem with the filter evaluation. Try something that results in a filter like this

(equip_no="00000004").and.EquipFree(Id_No, {10/07/2005}, {10/07/2005}, ScheduleType)
                I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between what you have here and what I had. Oh, parentheses. That would cause a problem, if the "00000004" was being ANDed with the EquipFree results. But then I'd get nothing.

I would test it, but right at this moment, it's giving the right result. I suspect Tom is right: It's a timing issue of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr
                  Blake,

I see what you're saying now. It looks like something that should be reported using "Send a bug report". In the meantime I'm curious:

a) whether you get the same results if you switch the order of the two expressions within the filter?

b) what results you'd get if you used only your EquipFree() udf in the filter expression?

I suspect there's a timing issue here, since your udf may be relatively slow, but I can't say I've ever attempted what you're doing, either, so this is simple speculation on my part.

-- tom
                  a) I'll try it once it starts breaking again.

b) You can see that in the code I uploaded. I get a partial set (B) when I use the simple filter, the full set (A) when I use the UDF, and the full set (A) when I use both (but I should get B). I'll have to change the data to make the UDF give different results.

Comment

As far as I know, since you are using a function, Equipfree(), the filter must wait for the evaluation of that function. So it should be 100% consistent and work, no matter what the speed (this is not to say thet EquipFree might not have internal timing issues affecting it's results, but the result would be consistent and waited for in the calling line)

On the other hand, the table open and close of the function happen every single time the filter is evaluated, and that is for every record in the external table (assuming LQO is not being used, and I doubt it would with your expression, this would be really slow). A table open/close is a very time and resource intensive operation. I suggest you open the table once, then do your table.external_record_get() passing the pointer to the table to EquipFree() via another parameter to it.

Then close after you are done in the main code.
                    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

use the &quot;eval&quot; function

Try using the "eval" function it should work
                      eval("cond1") instead of cond1

here is an complex example which i copied form one of my scripts (and it works)
                      Code:
                      if use_pro_his_tbl = "prod" .or. use_pro_his_tbl = ""
                      	qq2 = ".and.Item_Inactive <> .t."
                      	colm = "L_Code +"|"+Desc+"|"+V_Code+"|"+M_Code+"|"+ "~"+L_Code+"@"+'"+c_custid+"'+"-"+'"+c_shiptoid+"'"
                      else
                      	qq2 = ".and. cust_id = "+quote(c_custid) +iif(use_pro_his_tbl = "hist_s", " .and. shto_id = "+quote(c_shiptoid),
                      	iif(table_name = "cust_item.dbf"," .and. shto_id ="main"",""))
                      	colm = "L_Code  +"|"+ Desc +"|"+ V_Code+"|"+M_Code+"|"+ "~"+Item_Cust+ "~"+recno()"
                      end if
                      qq3 = iif(selec_catog != "",".and. M_Cat = "+quote(selec_catog),"")
                      qq4 = iif(selec_scatog !="",".and.S_Cat = "+quote(selec_scatog),"")

if find_filter <> ""
                      	qqq = quote(find_filter)+"$"+fl1+qq2+qq3+qq4+" .or."+quote(find_filter)+"$"+fl2+qq2+qq3+qq4+" .or."+quote(find_filter)+"$"+fl3+qq2+qq3+qq4+" .or."+quote(find_filter)+"$"+fl4+qq2+qq3+qq4
                      else if find_filter2 <> ""
                      	qqq = quote(find_filter2)+"$"+fl1+qq2+qq3+qq4+" .or."+quote(find_filter2)+"$"+fl2+qq2+qq3+qq4+" .or."+quote(find_filter2)+"$"+fl3+qq2+qq3+qq4+" .or."+quote(find_filter2)+"$"+fl4+qq2+qq3+qq4
                      else if showall_filter
                      	qqq = stritran(qq2,".and.","",1,1)+qq3+qq4
                      else
                      	qqq = ""
                      end if

if qqq <> ""
                      	prod_list = table.external_record_content_get(table_name,eval("colm"),search_by_sort,eval("qqq"))
                      else
                      	prod_list = ""+crlf()
                      end if
                      Last edited by AaronBBrown; 10-10-2005, 10:03 AM. Reason: added code tags
                      Daniel Weiss
                      EZ Link Software

Comment

.and. problems

Blake,

You got a number of comments on your original question having to do with the use of the logical .and. operator. I don't know if you got a satisfactory answer of not, but let me throw in the use of .and. and .or. .

The logical operator .and. causes the ENTIRE expression to be true if, and only if, both the segment before and the segment after .and. are true (ex: (today="Friday" .and. rain="Yes") is true if today is Friday AND it is raining. If either side is false, the entire expression is false. If you replace .and. with .or., the expression is true if either side is true.). The way I used to explain it to my students is that .and. is inclusive (both sides have to be true for the expression to be true) and .or. is exclusive (either side has to be true for the expression to be true.
                        Dave Jampole
                        www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Weiss
                          Try using the "eval" function it should work
                          eval("cond1") instead of cond1
                          Int'resting. I'll give that a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by davej
                            The logical operator .and. causes the ENTIRE expression to be true if, and only if, both the segment before and the segment after .and. are true (ex: (today="Friday" .and. rain="Yes") is true if today is Friday AND it is raining. If either side is false, the entire expression is false. If you replace .and. with .or., the expression is true if either side is true.). The way I used to explain it to my students is that .and. is inclusive (both sides have to be true for the expression to be true) and .or. is exclusive (either side has to be true for the expression to be true.
                            Early on in my career, I learned PL/I, which had this great built-in called BOOL. It did a bitwise operation on two parameters that was governed by a eight-character string of zeros and ones. Basically, the string determined what the result was for all possible variations of both paramters. The beauty of this was that it made you look at the logical operation, rather than imposing an English-language interpretation, and all the combinations had names. So, yeah, you had AND, OR, XOR and NOT, but you also had NAND and NOR, etc.

These things are so ingrained that I confess to being at a bit of a loss when they don't work in A5.

Comment

Boolean Logic

Blake,

The boolean logic you learned (and loved) back in the old days is constant and still applies. The way you code it is possibly different in A5 than in PL/I, 'possibly' because I've never touched PL/I.
                              Dave Jampole
                              www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X