Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Use of external editor with A5 Xbasic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of external editor with A5 Xbasic?

I would like to be able to use an external editor to create, edit and test my A5 Xbasic scripts. Why? Any software developer who has written a lot of scripts in any other language will know the answer to this question. Some of the reasons include: code folding and collapsing, automatic code formating, bookmarks and generally a very much broader range of features than is available in the A5 code editor. Oh, almost forgot. The ability to create libraries of re-usable code and functions and recall these easily is another big reason.

The external code editor I am planning to use is Ultra Edit (maybe Ultra Studio) but SciTe (free) is another option too.

Has anyone experience or suggestions for setting up an external editor for use with A5 XBasic? I am not so much concerned about the syntax highlighting dictionary I must create (which for A5 Xbasic will be larger than any other language I know of) but how to interface the external editor with A5 for the purpose of syntax checking and running A5 Xbasic scripts from the editor. I have not been able to find this aspect documented.

Having said all this, if anyone has already created an A5 Xbasic syntax file for use with an external editor, I would be interested to hear from them. For me to build one from scratch could be a several day exercise.

Comments and helpful suggestions welcome.

Brett,

The ability to create libraries of re-usable code and functions and recall these easily is another big reason.
    Alpha already has this feature built in, its called the xbasic code library.

I can't offer any assistance on a external editor interface, but Alpha will allow you to import and export code as a text file if that might be helpful.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by brett s
      Some of the reasons include: code folding and collapsing, automatic code formating, bookmarks and generally a very much broader range of features than is available in the A5 code editor. Oh, almost forgot. The ability to create libraries of re-usable code and functions and recall these easily is another big reason.
      Of these, the only thing the A5 editor does not have is code folding and collapsing.

but how to interface the external editor with A5 for the purpose of syntax checking and running A5 Xbasic scripts from the editor. I have not been able to find this aspect documented.
      There is no way to interface with A5 from an external editor.
      Aaron Brown
      Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

Bookmarks too? I have never been able to find them.

That's a shame about not providing an interface for an external editor. You are missing an opportunity here.

Comment

You create a bookmark by putting in a special comment that looks like this

'//My Bookmark

Then to go to the bookmark, press Ctrl-G, select bookmarks from the list box, then select your bookmark from the dropdown box. You can also use the script navigator (the little globe with two arrows on the toolbar) to jump from function to function.

In V7, the statusbar has some added script navigation features, as well.

Bookmarks too? I have never been able to find them.

That's a shame about not providing an interface for an external editor. You are missing an opportunity here.
          Aaron Brown
          Alpha Software Development Team

Comment

I would like to be able to use an external editor to create, edit and test my A5 Xbasic scripts. Why? Any software developer who has written a lot of scripts in any other language will know the answer to this question. Some of the reasons include: code folding and collapsing, automatic code formating, bookmarks and generally a very much broader range of features than is available in the A5 code editor. Oh, almost forgot. The ability to create libraries of re-usable code and functions and recall these easily is another big reason.

The external code editor I am planning to use is Ultra Edit (maybe Ultra Studio) but SciTe (free) is another option too.

Has anyone experience or suggestions for setting up an external editor for use with A5 XBasic? I am not so much concerned about the syntax highlighting dictionary I must create (which for A5 Xbasic will be larger than any other language I know of) but how to interface the external editor with A5 for the purpose of syntax checking and running A5 Xbasic scripts from the editor. I have not been able to find this aspect documented.

Having said all this, if anyone has already created an A5 Xbasic syntax file for use with an external editor, I would be interested to hear from them. For me to build one from scratch could be a several day exercise.

Comments and helpful suggestions welcome.
            Yes, it is true that a dedicated editor will offer more editing features, but coding in an external editor (no matter how good it was), and not having the auto-complete features in the Xbasic editor seems (to me at least), like a slow form of torture.

Comment

I don't suppose there's a capability in the Code Editor to get two views of the same script is there, either by splitting the window or having a second window open at the same time?

I haven't found it yet if there is and it would be very helpful to not have to keep scrolling up and down when cross referencing different parts of a script.

Thanks,
              Trevor

Comment

I think it's a matter of personal choice as to whether or not someone prefers to use an external editor to that of the A5 in-built one. I for one would prefer to have a choice as I am sure others out there would too. The feature set within the A5 editor is not nearly as comprehensive as those features offered in many of the external editors.

The main additions needed to use an external editor are twofold. Firstly is the need to be able to submit Xbasic code from the external editor to A5 for syntax checking and/or running. Secondly is the need for the output from the A5 syntax check/run to be able to be captured by the editor and/or viewed so that errors can be checked and corrected, ready to repeat the cycle again. And it would be nice to be able to do this without the need to have a copy of A5 active and running in the background continuously.

I am more than happy to act as a guinea pig to test it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins
                  Yes, it is true that a dedicated editor will offer more editing features, but coding in an external editor (no matter how good it was), and not having the auto-complete features in the Xbasic editor seems (to me at least), like a slow form of torture.
                  Auto-complete is not a problem. For example in UltraEdit the keywords from the syntax highlighting and function lists are automatically shown in the auto-complete list. The hard bit is building the syntax highlighting and function lists which, for Alpha Five, is as big as anything I know of. But I have already started work on this.

Comment

You don't have to do much work to get a list of all functions and their prototypes.

Just go to the interactive wndow and type:

?functions_get("*","*")

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins
                      You don't have to do much work to get a list of all functions and their prototypes.

Just go to the interactive wndow and type:

?functions_get("*","*")
                      Wow, thanks Selwyn. That has saved me a truck load of work. :)

Comment

I just got through testing out PrimalScript but didn't do a complete Alpha syntax in it--it's not quite as ready as it should be.

I'd be interested in knowing if you make this workable. I'd hate to add any extra steps to the development process.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                          I just got through testing out PrimalScript but didn't do a complete Alpha syntax in it--it's not quite as ready as it should be.

I'd be interested in knowing if you make this workable. I'd hate to add any extra steps to the development process.
                          I am going to set up a syntax file for Alpha Five for use with UltraEdit. That's all just for the moment. But others are welcome to do the same for other editors too.

Comment

Hello Aaron,

>>You create a bookmark by putting in a special comment<<

I didn't know we could do this. Neat.

But it doesn't appear to work for me. When I create one of these special bookmark comments, it shows up in the GoTo list, but when I select it and press the GoTo button it always jumps to the last line of the script.

Thanks,
                            Jim

Comment

it worked fine for me.
                              are you sure that you entered the bookmark as

'//bookmarkname

Comment

Working...
                              X