Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Building An Pda Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building An Pda Application

How Difficult Is It To Build An Application For A Palm Pc?
    I Need To Build A User Interface For A Barcode Application.

Try searching for pocked pc Bar Code on net for info - I think you can obtain systems for PC pocket quite cheaply.
    Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy,
      I Did Do A Search And Found A Company Called Mobil Data That Specificaly Targets The Palm Pc Database Platforms.

Thanks Again,
      Adam

Comment

HI,
        Yes - but its dbf (MS:Access) based isn't it? Alpha can be run on mini laptops which run on xp. The Flybook is the smallest tablet I've seen that could be used as a PDA type hand held. Supports mobile SIM cards also.
        Andy

Comment

Andy,

The Mobile Dataforce Company has application platforms that are for the palm pc's the platform from what I understand can be interfaced with an SQL server so this should be able to interface alpha5v6, does this sound correct to you? The application platforn and cost is:

PointSync SDK: This is the development environment - $1995
          PointSync Server: $2995
          PointSync Mobile (Device licenses): $395
          PointSync Desktop: $250

I am fairly new at using alpha5 if you get a chance, go there web sight and take a look, mobiledataforce.com. Yes, the overall package is priced rather high but if the project needs to have a hand held mobile interface it may be worth it.

Comment

HI,

Thanks for the information - I'll check out the site and get back to you.

I think what you really need to do is sit down with pen and paper and start writing down what YOU want to achieve using a PDA and a database, further more - how will Alpha work for you.

I did a similar exercise and I came to the conclusion that the application I was building would not fit the PDA. I could have designed a simple interface that allowed data to be read and entered in to data fields and then exported back to Alpha but the design of the GUI's on the PDA would have been messy and very unfriendly. Not only that - a normal desktop application with a data entry screen replicated in a small PDA would need a multiple data entry screens to achieve the same data input.

The other issue is I believe you cannot run Alpha on Pc Pocket Software 3 and below. PC Pocket 5 is out now but I suspect the same issue applies.

There are many database programs out that can talk to alpha using file export features of that software.

On a final note � my personal opinion is if you want to have a serious mobile Alpha application you need to look at the new hand-held pc�s out there (not PDA�s) that can be used as either laptops or tablet pc�s.

Point Sync Developer looks the best option from this site � willow you to create a data entry interface for PDA�s that could match up with your Alpha Application DBF data.

�Pointsync Developer is a powerful tool that allows developers to rapidly create handheld applications without needing to learn a programming language like Visual Basic or C++�

Check this out very carefully or you�ll have spent your money for nothing � suggest you start a line of communication with the company to ascertain if your level of skill can create the results you want.

If you want a scanning application I believe you have many options for mobile use at variable costs.

Andy

Comment

Hi
              Me again!

Check out http://www.dialogue.com.tw/english/products/flybook.htm

Good luck

Andy

Comment

Palm dbase

A while ago ALPHA & Handbase teamed up to produce a clean interface... I could never get it going smoothly but have had a lot of success with exports & imports (which can be automated for both Handbase and Alpha)...

...check
                http://www.ddhsoftware.com

hope this helps.
                David

PS If you enter a seach for ALPHA... the article on ODBC Synch with Alpha is still on the site.
                Last edited by David Boomer; 10-25-2005, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Andy,

Thanks A Bunch For Your Help. I Got A Hold Of A Handheld-pc Today And Have Down Loaded A Few Different Trial Application Platforms. I Am Going To Do Some Testing With The Handheld-pc And See What I Can Come Up With. I Have Been Recerching This For About Two Weeks And Talked To About Five Different Companies.

I Will Keep You Posted On My Findings. It Seems That There Is A Few People That Would Like To Use Alpha And Palm Devices In Their Applications.

Thanks Again,
                  Adam Zellner

Comment

vnc viewer is working for a single user app

To up date everyone on the progress that i have made on the PDA problem.

I scrapped the idea of using Alpha as an application on the pda. What I found to work very well on a single user stand point was this. Using Windows Mobile 2003 OS on my PDA I was able to download VNC VIEWER. Installed it and flamo I got the small interface i wanted and i did not have to buy a bunch of technicaly challenging programs to make it work. A wireless access point with 128 bit encription and i got the security i needed in my facility. Remember this is realy only good for a single user or you can set up a computer for each user. In my case all the individules at my facility that needed to be mobile around the shop has a computer. I am using it now, it is simple i can use alpha5 and I am still secure. I would be more than glad to help if someone needs some thing simiular.

Thanks for everything,
                    Adam Zellner

Comment

Working...
                    X