Alpha Video Training

Thread: Anyone Heard of PFS: Professional File?

Default Anyone Heard of PFS: Professional File?

I have encountered a database conversion project where the current database is maintained in PFS:Professional File. It is an OLD SCHOOL DOS Application, fairly simple, but the version I have (I think it may be 1.x, not sure) does NOT contain ANY ability whatsoever to export records.

I can't even ascertain what the table structure may be, the file extensions are .DAT and .FIL.

I need to get this in a format for import into Alpha. I have search the internet high and low, and there does not seem to be any helpful information.

Anyone have any insight or ideas?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    jim chapman

Quote Originally Posted by ernman97
    I have encountered a database conversion project where the current database is maintained in PFS:Professional File. It is an OLD SCHOOL DOS Application, fairly simple, but the version I have (I think it may be 1.x, not sure) does NOT contain ANY ability whatsoever to export records.
    This takes me back. I used to use PFS Prof File before I found Alpha Four. I don't have any of the docs that I can find, but I am relatively sure that you can get some kind of output out of this product. I'm thinking it would do a text dump. If you can't find anything, you could always output a simple text report to a file and then imput this into Alpha Five. I'm pretty sure it's doable as ported over a couple of these to Alpha Four years ago.

Good luck,
    Jim

Alpha Software Employee AaronBBrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Professional File had the ability to create reports which printed to file rather than a printer. You could use this to export all your data.
    [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]Aaron Brown
    Alpha Software Development Team[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

A google search for

PFS:PROFESSIONAL FILE

turned up several promising hits (notice there's no space after the colon).

-- tom

-- tom

Thank you all for our prompt replies! Not sure if its good or not, all of us working on a Sunday:)

Anyway - your comments are most HELPFUL! THANK YOU! After a bit more work in the actual PFS application, YES, I was able to figure out how to output reports to a file, and of course, I am good to go from there. There are some limitations on the number of fields that can be exported at once (these databases have a large number of fields), but I think I can work around that.

THANK YOU AGAIN ALL!

E

Real Name
    Chris Seah

I am very familiar with this PFS: Prof File. In fact, still using it occassionally. If you need further assiatance, let me know.

Chris

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

If I remember correctly, PFS fist came out on Apple, maybe 1980.

Real Name
    Bruce D. Rempe

Quote Originally Posted by chris seah
    I am very familiar with this PFS: Prof File. In fact, still using it occassionally. If you need further assiatance, let me know.

Chris
    Chris,

I have a PFS:Professional File database that I need to convert to CSV or some other common (and modern) data format. Do you have any suggestions?? I don't have any PF application.

Thanks!!

-bruce

Real Name
    Chris Seah

Default PF file to convert

Hi Bruce,

If it is ok, send it over, and I will do the conversion for you.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by brempe
    Chris,

I have a PFS:Professional File database that I need to convert to CSV or some other common (and modern) data format. Do you have any suggestions?? I don't have any PF application.

Thanks!!

-bruce

Real Name
    Bruce D. Rempe

Quote Originally Posted by chris seah
    Hi Bruce,

If it is ok, send it over, and I will do the conversion for you.

Chris
    Chris,

I thank you for your kind offer. While I don't expect that it would be a problem, let me check with my client regarding this.

Your profile does not allow me to email you directly. Can you provide an email address?? I will change my profile to allow you to email me directly. Maybe we can get together that way.

What would be the charge for this service?? There are 10,000+ records in the file.

Thanks!!

-bruce

Real Name
    Chris Seah

Default PFS conversion

Hi Bruce,
    My email address is cseah2003@yahoo.com
    There will be a modest fee if that is ok for you.
    Thank you, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by brempe
    Chris,

I thank you for your kind offer. While I don't expect that it would be a problem, let me check with my client regarding this.

Your profile does not allow me to email you directly. Can you provide an email address?? I will change my profile to allow you to email me directly. Maybe we can get together that way.

What would be the charge for this service?? There are 10,000+ records in the file.

Thanks!!

-bruce

Real Name
    Frank Koziol

Default Re: Anyone Heard of PFS: Professional File?

Quote Originally Posted by ernman97 View Post

I can't even ascertain what the table structure may be, the file extensions are .DAT and .FIL.

I need to get this in a format for import into Alpha. I have search the internet high and low, and there does not seem to be any helpful information.

Anyone have any insight or ideas?
    Professional file to a new file that has any of these destination file formays
    dBase III (PLUS), Lotus 1-2-3( release 1A or 2.0/2.01) , Delimited ASCII, Fixed - Length ASCII.
    Goto the Export Records Menu and select your choice. I you need more data I have original book.
    Frank

Real Name
    Robin

Hi Frank,
    Welcome to the board!

You may notice when searching that there are lots of old threads in here. Which is good for researching but probably not so good for posting...
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Keith Boardman

We have a problem with two databases, PFS:Professional File (2.0 I believe), and Alpha 5 V5. We've been using both programs on a Win98 computer for quite a number of years and recently were told that the motherboard is going bad. The computer was taken to a shop to have both programs/data copied onto a DVD so that the work could be transferred either to our Win2000 computer (not our first choice, as we've already had the motherboard in that computer replaced, and if the current one goes bad we are up a creek) or to our old Vista computer.
    When the Win98 computer was brought home we discovered that neither of the two available monitors would work. The monitor which has been used with the Win98 computer did work when connected to the Vista computer, so we know it's not the monitors.

Our immediate problem with the Win98 computer is to have the video card replaced, and we're having a problem in finding someone who has such a card that will work in that old computer.

The next problem is to still find a way to transfer the data in those programs to another computer, preferably to Vista but 2000 as a last resort.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I hope this is entered into the right place as I didn't see anywhere to ask a new question.

Real Name
    Chris Seah

Quote Originally Posted by Keith68 View Post
    We have a problem with two databases, PFS:Professional File (2.0 I believe), and Alpha 5 V5. We've been using both programs on a Win98 computer for quite a number of years and recently were told that the motherboard is going bad. The computer was taken to a shop to have both programs/data copied onto a DVD so that the work could be transferred either to our Win2000 computer (not our first choice, as we've already had the motherboard in that computer replaced, and if the current one goes bad we are up a creek) or to our old Vista computer.
    When the Win98 computer was brought home we discovered that neither of the two available monitors would work. The monitor which has been used with the Win98 computer did work when connected to the Vista computer, so we know it's not the monitors.

Our immediate problem with the Win98 computer is to have the video card replaced, and we're having a problem in finding someone who has such a card that will work in that old computer.

The next problem is to still find a way to transfer the data in those programs to another computer, preferably to Vista but 2000 as a last resort.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I hope this is entered into the right place as I didn't see anywhere to ask a new question.

Hi Keith,
    My suggestion is to jump from the Win98 platform
    into a WinXP platform if you are thinking of running both the PFS File and A5v5.
    You should be able to find some XP notebooks or desktop PCs around ( from the web, e.g. eBay )
    Chris

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

You can also download from Microsoft a virtual machine copy of xp pro - about 900 GIGs.

the main issue is whether PFS is self installing; some programs are, just run the appropriate exe and see what happens
    some of Alpha's programs were self installing - so if you had a copy of the program on one machine, and copied and pasted the folder to another, and clicked on alpha5.exe it would self install.

I'm not sure but I think V5 did self install. I don't recall the "key" issues for installing V5, though.
    I used to use PFS back from 1982 thru 1998 with DOS as the base OS - when I switched to Alpha and OFfice.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Keith Boardman

Quote Originally Posted by chris seah View Post
    Hi Keith,
    My suggestion is to jump from the Win98 platform
    into a WinXP platform if you are thinking of running both the PFS File and A5v5.
    You should be able to find some XP notebooks or desktop PCs around ( from the web, e.g. eBay )
    Chris

Thanks for the quick response, Chris.

I have a hard drive from an XP computer. When I can get my young computer tech here I'll suggest replacing the Vista hard drive with the XP drive.

I then still have the problem of getting the files (and programs?) from the Win98 drive to the XP drive. The tech tried loading A5V5 into the Vista computer, but that did not work, even with the serial number from the software package. Alpha told me that they don't support that software any longer since it is decades old, and it is now necessary to purchase a "developer's license" with a minimum annual fee of $499. I'm not a developer and just want to use the software I purchased, even if that was years ago. It still worked fine until the video card on the Win98 computer went on the fritz. The mother board on the 98 computer is beginning to go bad, so the data will be lost.

The PFS:Professional File is another can of worms. Most of my stuff has been in long-term storage, apparently including the discs and manual for this program. An online search found only someone selling this software for the TRS 80 Model III (which was my first computer and was dumped decades ago). I have hard copies of the most important PFS data and if necessary can spend countless hours reentering the data into whatever program the Alpha data is exported to, which of course can be done only if a video card for the old computer can be found. I would be willing to buy this software again if necessary, if it can be found anywhere, so that my tech can find a way to export the files from 98 to Vista/XP. However, I'm wondering if PFS will even work with either Vista or XP, since it is a DOS program. I've only used it with 95/98.

Thanks again.