New call-to-action
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't create pdf reports from preview screen.

Real Name
    George Wesley

Default Can't create pdf reports from preview screen.

What can I do to correct this problem. I still have version 6 installed as my back up until i get every thing running with v7. I can still create pdf reports with v6 with the same data but v7 seem to have some problem with creating the same pdf reports.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Please give us specific details about how you are trying to create the PDFs and what happens when you do so.

Quote Originally Posted by gwesley2000
    What can I do to correct this problem. I still have version 6 installed as my back up until i get every thing running with v7. I can still create pdf reports with v6 with the same data but v7 seem to have some problem with creating the same pdf reports.

Real Name
    George Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Forziati
    Please give us specific details about how you are trying to create the PDFs and what happens when you do so.
    Usually I open a report form that I created from the reports tab. The report preview screen opens. Then I press the 'Save in Acrobat .PDF format" button as I always did in version 6. Acrobat reader opens but the pages are blank.

Real Name
    James Urbanski

I am seeing the same behavior. I left all of the defaults in PDF and get blank pages. I can save in rtf format but it doesn't have the lines that help make things easier to read.
    If you wish, I can send you a copy of the file.

Thanks

Jim

Real Name
    James Urbanski

I just tried sending a pdf report via e-mail and it also is blank. By the way, I'm using adobe version 7. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Jim

Real Name
    James Urbanski

Default pdf file

Here is what I get from version 7 both in the preview and via e-mail.

Jim

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

I haven't tested it in v.7, but in v.5 if you open a report in modal view, you cannot ceate a PDF. In normal modeless view, it works. It would seem to be a bug.

Real Name
    James Urbanski

How do you open a report in modeless view? I can do forms but I don't see anything about reports.

Jim

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Modeless is the default. For modal, just select the option in the report genie. In xbaisc, the report parameter requires a .t. as the last parameter (but for preview mode only).

Real Name
    James Urbanski

I just don't see anything in the report genie that indicates modal or modeless. I did create a new report and it works fine. I starting going through the reports and previewing them and trying to view them as pdf's. Some work fine and others do not. (see the attachment above)I'm not seeing a common link among the ones don't print correctly. Thre are no passwords or other security settings, no encryption (that I know of). Maybe I'm dense.

Jim

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

See the attached image.

Real Name
    James Urbanski

I see. I was working from the control panel. The question now is why do some reports print correctly and some do not? And why the difference between version 6 and 7?

Jim

Real Name
    James Urbanski

It looks to be a bug. I just tried printing the offending report from a button and have it set to modeless as indicated and it still prints pdf.

Jim

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Jim, I see the same problem using one of the AlphaSports report layouts.

Here's the sequence I'm following:

Start A5V7, Build 3872 | 3002
    Open AlphaSports database
    Click Reports
    Click Customer Reports
    Choose All Customers

[ at this point the preview appears ]

click File Menu
    Choose Save As
    Choose Adobe Acrobat PDF
    Accept the default filename & path
    Check the box to open report in Acrobat.
    Click OK

[ At this point the preview closes, but the report is NOT saved to disk. A search of the entire hard disk reveals that the file is nowhere to be found. ]

Have you reported this to Alpha software using the Send Bug Report function?

-- tom

Real Name
    James Urbanski

Yes. I sent it this afternoon along with a copy of the application. I have two reports. One works fine the other one does not. The one that does not work does save a file in the applicaton folder.
    The difference in the way we worked was, I was working in the control panel and used the acrobat icon at the top of screen.

Jim

P.S. This edit feature is nice!!
    Last edited by urbanski; 11-03-2005 at 10:53 PM.

Real Name
    George Wesley

I think that I may have found the problem. The form that I was trying to create the pdf from had embedded image files i.e. jpg and bmp files. Only after I deleted them would the form appear. But when I attempted to reinsert the image file, the spot where I inserted the file indicated that there wasn't an image available. I attempted this with several image file that I had on my hard drive. Same result. Only the image files included with A7 would load. What is the maximum size image file would A7 allow to import?

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

there should not be a maximum. although putting a very large embedded image into a form is not a good idea because it will make the form slow to load.

Real Name
    James Urbanski

The reports that I cannot print do not have images, only text, so that can't be the reason.

Jim

Real Name
    David Elder

Default PDF Issue

Try this work around...

Search for CutePDF Writer on the web. Download and install the files (2 required) very low overhead too. The app installs as a printer, set default to CutePDF writer to print from preview. At least this will give you the results you want until this bug (excuse me feature) is repaired.

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski
    Yes. I sent it this afternoon along with a copy of the application. I have two reports. One works fine the other one does not. The one that does not work does save a file in the applicaton folder.
    The difference in the way we worked was, I was working in the control panel and used the acrobat icon at the top of screen.

Jim

P.S. This edit feature is nice!!
    V7 uses new PDF drivers from a company called Amyuni. These drivers have a lot of new features, but it seems that you have uncovered a bug in the drivers.
    We have no control over this. We will have to bring to bug to Amyuni's attention and hope for a quick fix.

The bug is that the PDF driver cannot render reports that have any objects on it where you have used a fill style of a percentage

If you edit the report that does not work, you will see that you have a frame object that has a fill style of 5%. Change this to 100% and it will work fine.
    If you used a fill style of 5% because you wanted a very light grey, then just define a custom color (view/settngs) that has a very light gray, and use that with a fill style of solid.

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr
    Jim, I see the same problem using one of the AlphaSports report layouts.

Here's the sequence I'm following:

Start A5V7, Build 3872 | 3002
    Open AlphaSports database
    Click Reports
    Click Customer Reports
    Choose All Customers

[ at this point the preview appears ]

click File Menu
    Choose Save As
    Choose Adobe Acrobat PDF
    Accept the default filename & path
    Check the box to open report in Acrobat.
    Click OK

[ At this point the preview closes, but the report is NOT saved to disk. A search of the entire hard disk reveals that the file is nowhere to be found. ]

Have you reported this to Alpha software using the Send Bug Report function?

-- tom
    This is NOT a bug. It is happening on your machine because for some reason the PDF printer is not installed. If you go to your Printers folder (Start/Printers), you will see that there is no printer called "Alpha Five Printer". This printer must be present for the PDF output to work. Re-installing Alpha Five might fix the problem.

Real Name
    Bill Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Selwyn Rabins
    This is NOT a bug. It is happening on your machine because for some reason the PDF printer is not installed. If you go to your Printers folder (Start/Printers), you will see that there is no printer called "Alpha Five Printer". This printer must be present for the PDF output to work. Re-installing Alpha Five might fix the problem.
    Selwyn, I may not be following this too well, but I'm having the same problem and the A5 printer is listed as an installed printer. In my report there is a bitmap image on page 1 (the page which will not print). I also noticed that the report looks completely different when I email it, as a pdf document, than it does on the preview screen (different fonts than the ones I used in the report design).

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Bill
    Can you please send me a copy of your database so that I can see what the report definition looks like.

Real Name
    Bill Jordan

Selwyn, I already fixed it.
    The problem, for me anyways, was that it didn't like the "large rounded" box defined for an RTF. When I used a square box it worked fine. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Clifford Crosby

Default pdf won't print or save or rtf or any others

I get a error message when I try to print to or save PDF. It says that the print driver not found. But they are all there.
    Even the Alpha5 driver. I am runnig both versions of Alpha 5 on this machine 6 & 7 and I have no trouble printing or saving pdf in version 6.

Real Name
    Louis Ciarlo

Default Problem with PDF

I just converted to V7 from V5 and have the same problem. The report will preview fine in Alpha but when I try to export and preview in PDF format using Adobe V7 it will not work. At times it will display one page of a three(3) page report and blank out the other two(2).

The problem is that my customer needs this working as soon as possible and I don't have a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

Quote Originally Posted by matrixxrnd@aol.com
    I just converted to V7 from V5 and have the same problem. The report will preview fine in Alpha but when I try to export and preview in PDF format using Adobe V7 it will not work. At times it will display one page of a three(3) page report and blank out the other two(2).

The problem is that my customer needs this working as soon as possible and I don't have a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    do you have the same problem with reports in alphasports?
    or is it only with your reports.

the only know issue with the new pdf drivers in V7 is with reports that have any objects that have objects for which the 'fill' property is not set to 'solid'.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ed Barley

Default Set to solid

Hello Everyone,

Going from Ver6 to Ver7 one of my reports when emailed only, had exactly what Selwyn reported. The report can be print previewed, printed, faxed with a right fax driver, but would not attach to an email with Outlook, without blank pages. It would have the correct amount of blank pages in the report.

A group and continuation header in the report, had the border forground color set to canvas color at 10%. Once the canvas color was removed and set to winback solid, all is well.

Would be nice to keep the color(solid was too much color) in the headers, but it did solve the problem.

Ed

Real Name
    Jack Birnbaum

Default Amyuni printer driver

I had to revert back to Alpha5v6 because of similar issues with the new A5v7 PDF printer driver. Converting reports to PDF is an integral part of our application and we now get errors in every PDF file Alpha5 creates. If the problem is with the Amyuni PDF converter v2.5 then why not allow Alpha5v7 to work with the previous version PDF converter (v2.09) which worked just fine. This would IMMEDIATELY resolve this issue and allow us to use V7.

Jack.

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

go to the interactive window and enter these commands, pressing Enter after each command

Code:
    key = "preferences\Amyuni"
    delete p 
    dim p as p 
    p.UseActiveXInterface = .f.
    registry.save_settings(key,p)

this should then use the V6 amyuni printer drivers. (of course v6 must be installed on the computer to use the V6 amyuni drivers)