Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can't create pdf reports from preview screen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that I may have found the problem. The form that I was trying to create the pdf from had embedded image files i.e. jpg and bmp files. Only after I deleted them would the form appear. But when I attempted to reinsert the image file, the spot where I inserted the file indicated that there wasn't an image available. I attempted this with several image file that I had on my hard drive. Same result. Only the image files included with A7 would load. What is the maximum size image file would A7 allow to import?

Comment

there should not be a maximum. although putting a very large embedded image into a form is not a good idea because it will make the form slow to load.

Comment

The reports that I cannot print do not have images, only text, so that can't be the reason.

Jim

Comment

PDF Issue

Try this work around...

Search for CutePDF Writer on the web. Download and install the files (2 required) very low overhead too. The app installs as a printer, set default to CutePDF writer to print from preview. At least this will give you the results you want until this bug (excuse me feature) is repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanski
            Yes. I sent it this afternoon along with a copy of the application. I have two reports. One works fine the other one does not. The one that does not work does save a file in the applicaton folder.
            The difference in the way we worked was, I was working in the control panel and used the acrobat icon at the top of screen.

Jim

P.S. This edit feature is nice!!
            V7 uses new PDF drivers from a company called Amyuni. These drivers have a lot of new features, but it seems that you have uncovered a bug in the drivers.
            We have no control over this. We will have to bring to bug to Amyuni's attention and hope for a quick fix.

The bug is that the PDF driver cannot render reports that have any objects on it where you have used a fill style of a percentage

If you edit the report that does not work, you will see that you have a frame object that has a fill style of 5%. Change this to 100% and it will work fine.
            If you used a fill style of 5% because you wanted a very light grey, then just define a custom color (view/settngs) that has a very light gray, and use that with a fill style of solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr
              Jim, I see the same problem using one of the AlphaSports report layouts.

Here's the sequence I'm following:

Start A5V7, Build 3872 | 3002
              Open AlphaSports database
              Click Reports
              Click Customer Reports
              Choose All Customers

[ at this point the preview appears ]

click File Menu
              Choose Save As
              Choose Adobe Acrobat PDF
              Accept the default filename & path
              Check the box to open report in Acrobat.
              Click OK

[ At this point the preview closes, but the report is NOT saved to disk. A search of the entire hard disk reveals that the file is nowhere to be found. ]

Have you reported this to Alpha software using the Send Bug Report function?

-- tom
              This is NOT a bug. It is happening on your machine because for some reason the PDF printer is not installed. If you go to your Printers folder (Start/Printers), you will see that there is no printer called "Alpha Five Printer". This printer must be present for the PDF output to work. Re-installing Alpha Five might fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins
                This is NOT a bug. It is happening on your machine because for some reason the PDF printer is not installed. If you go to your Printers folder (Start/Printers), you will see that there is no printer called "Alpha Five Printer". This printer must be present for the PDF output to work. Re-installing Alpha Five might fix the problem.
                Selwyn, I may not be following this too well, but I'm having the same problem and the A5 printer is listed as an installed printer. In my report there is a bitmap image on page 1 (the page which will not print). I also noticed that the report looks completely different when I email it, as a pdf document, than it does on the preview screen (different fonts than the ones I used in the report design).

Comment

Bill
                  Can you please send me a copy of your database so that I can see what the report definition looks like.

Comment

Selwyn, I already fixed it.
                    The problem, for me anyways, was that it didn't like the "large rounded" box defined for an RTF. When I used a square box it worked fine. Hope this helps.

Comment

pdf won't print or save or rtf or any others

I get a error message when I try to print to or save PDF. It says that the print driver not found. But they are all there.
                      Even the Alpha5 driver. I am runnig both versions of Alpha 5 on this machine 6 & 7 and I have no trouble printing or saving pdf in version 6.

Comment

Problem with PDF

I just converted to V7 from V5 and have the same problem. The report will preview fine in Alpha but when I try to export and preview in PDF format using Adobe V7 it will not work. At times it will display one page of a three(3) page report and blank out the other two(2).

The problem is that my customer needs this working as soon as possible and I don't have a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                          I just converted to V7 from V5 and have the same problem. The report will preview fine in Alpha but when I try to export and preview in PDF format using Adobe V7 it will not work. At times it will display one page of a three(3) page report and blank out the other two(2).

The problem is that my customer needs this working as soon as possible and I don't have a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          do you have the same problem with reports in alphasports?
                          or is it only with your reports.

the only know issue with the new pdf drivers in V7 is with reports that have any objects that have objects for which the 'fill' property is not set to 'solid'.

Comment

Set to solid

Hello Everyone,

Going from Ver6 to Ver7 one of my reports when emailed only, had exactly what Selwyn reported. The report can be print previewed, printed, faxed with a right fax driver, but would not attach to an email with Outlook, without blank pages. It would have the correct amount of blank pages in the report.

A group and continuation header in the report, had the border forground color set to canvas color at 10%. Once the canvas color was removed and set to winback solid, all is well.

Would be nice to keep the color(solid was too much color) in the headers, but it did solve the problem.

Ed

Comment

Amyuni printer driver

I had to revert back to Alpha5v6 because of similar issues with the new A5v7 PDF printer driver. Converting reports to PDF is an integral part of our application and we now get errors in every PDF file Alpha5 creates. If the problem is with the Amyuni PDF converter v2.5 then why not allow Alpha5v7 to work with the previous version PDF converter (v2.09) which worked just fine. This would IMMEDIATELY resolve this issue and allow us to use V7.

Jack.

Comment

go to the interactive window and enter these commands, pressing Enter after each command

Code:
                                key = "preferences\Amyuni"
                                delete p 
                                dim p as p 
                                p.UseActiveXInterface = .f.
                                registry.save_settings(key,p)

this should then use the V6 amyuni printer drivers. (of course v6 must be installed on the computer to use the V6 amyuni drivers)

Comment

Working...
                                X