Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Clean up an A5 Web Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they can see the PDF, they can print it (unless you purposely restrict otherwise). The print driver is be on the Alpha web server, and that serves up the PDF. After that, the user just has to have Acrobat Reader installed to view the report.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Oh I see Steve. I guess I was confused because I wasn't able to get it to work on my home computer, but now that Lenny has fixed it on the demo site, it's working now.

This is an awesome feature. Now I just gotta learn how to format it!

Thanks
      Sergeant Richard Hartnett
      Hyattsville City Police Department
      Maryland

Comment

I haven't done so in a while, but basically you create a normal desktop report that you like, then launch it from the WAS. It behaves the same. I don't actually remember how you launch it from your WAS dev environment, but that string you had below ('C:\A5Webroot\session_folders\25ad1597f02c4ee0b05059d21e208f8e\\tempreport.pdf' ) is because the WAS writes the PDF document to the online users session folder, which is a 32 bit temp folder (but you don't need to know about that to implement).
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

creating web form

Originally posted by ab042
          I'm trying to duplicate a form that another peson created for a web site. I'm trying to use A5.

The way it looks is very important to the client and I'm new to the A5 stuff.

Could someone view the attach screen shot of a small WEB form thats attached and offer suggestions on how I can duplicate it without a lot of extra coding in A5v7 WEB.

The current A5 component I created has everything in a column down the page and it doesn't look as nice.

Thanks
          i really want to do what you describe. Selwyn explanation is beyond me. can you tell me what you did to make this work
          thanks
          old tony
          [email protected]

Comment

O.T.,

The thread got a little skewed along the way and Selwyn was not explaining how to print a report as much as what to do if a specific problem existed.

I can't help on printing a report without working it through myself. Last time I did this was a month after WAS was released, and there is a new Print Report Genie since then.

Look up "print report genie" in the Alpha help or here, its all on that subject. For reference, that Genie is sitting under the Insert button on any of the Events of a WAS Dialog component, and I have not used it yet.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

how to make form like ab042 shows using a5

my real question is how to create a form, like ab042 is showing at the beginning of this thread, using A5?
              thanks
              old tony

Comment

Sorry, yes, here's how.

If you just want to duplicate the fact that some of the fields are side-by-side, that's pretty easy. If you want to duplicate all of the formatting (different color asterk, fields and text exactly lined up in columns as well as rows, nice smooth section headers of different color), that's not more difficult, but is more labor.

(a) To put text and fields side-by-side, enter ALL of the fields exactly as you normally would without consideration to the side-by-side aspect. If you are making a Grid, choose Columnar format for Component Layout under Component Type.

(b) Now, go to a field that you want to move to the right of some other field. Set Hide Row to True. Now go to the field that you want to have at the left of this field. Set Freeform Layout to True and edit the Freeform Template. In the Freeform Template, select (dbl-click) the field you want to display to the right (the one you just Hid). Include any text to the right or left, such as "This is my Field: {myfield}". That's it.

To format the screen with ALL of the format elements I listed above takes more time. Essentially you follow the instructions in paragraph (a), but change all-but-one field to Row Hide=true and in Properties, set Show Row Labels to False. This gives you an empty page to work with. You need at least one field set to Row Hide=False in order to have a Freeform area. Now in this one remaining Freeform Template, click to access the HTML Editor and design your form as you wish using Tables, colors, headers, any text, just as you would design a normal web page, dropping in the field names where required. Its more difficult because you have to remember or write down the "available fields" from the Freeform Template area since they do not appear in the HTML Editor.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

how to make form like ab042 shows using a5

yes
                  that shows me what to do
                  thanks alot
                  old tony

Comment

Steve you mentioned that "there is a Genie is sitting under the Insert button on any of the Events of a WAS Dialog component."

I use mostly Grid Components for my work. Is this true for grids as well. Can a report be printed from a grid design as opposed to a dialog?

Rich
                    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
                    Hyattsville City Police Department
                    Maryland

Comment

Rich,

Yes, although there is no genie, this same code works in Dialog events, Grid Events (AfterUpdate is the most natural), on an A5W page (within <%A5W...%>) and under server events for AdvancedButtons (provided the variables exist).

On a Grid, it would work under any of the Events, but you would have to decide when you wanted the function to fire (on update, add, delete, etc.) And, do you really want to send them an email or pdf every time they update the grid? If that's once per session, fine, but probably not if they are adding 10 records (they would get 10 emails). And, if they made a mistake and go back and edit a record, it's going to send the email again. Its probably best to have a dialog appear -after- they complete their grid work, that says "thanks" and sends them the final email.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

But, how to make a cell a specific width?!

Hi Steve,
                        Thank you, Steve. I figured all that out - re your a) and b) instructions...but still don't know how to line up the columns. The column divider hops around, depending on the length of the field (I think), and how many characters are typed in beside the field.

How do I make the cell dividers stay put? I've edited the width of cells, but even that doesn't make it stick to the width that I want it to.

Many thanks!,
                        Wanda

Comment

Cells can be a pain. It will work if you properly set everything. For best results, make sure your table is set to a fixed width, rather than a percentage; and that your cells are set to widths that total up to the width of the table. You don't have to do it that way, but it is the most concrete. Another trick is to insert an invisable (i.e.: same color as background) graphic object of the width you desire. That forces the cell to never be less than that width (you should not have to do this).
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hey Steve,
                            I believe I've tried that, but the cells don't seem to recognize that they are supposed to stay a fixed width whenever I add fields or text to them...it's been a few days, so I'll revisit it, and post my progress.

Thank you,
                            Wanda

Comment

Yup, tried it - and tried it again. The cells still ignore the cell width settings...unless each cell (say in a 5X5 table) has to be specifically set to a certain width.

So, your cells stay put according to the specific width setting? You must be doing something else to get the width to stick...this is very frustrating...

Thanks,
                              W

Comment

Setting each cell width forces set width to stay put

Wait! Stop the search! ERRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKK!

It's true that if you specify a width for each cell, they'll stay put :)

Yeah! Yippie! Yahoo! Now I can get on with it :)

Thanks, Steve.
                                Wanda

Comment

Working...
                                X