Alpha Video Training
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DDE Error Message on V7 Runtime with a5.close() method...

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default DDE Error Message on V7 Runtime with a5.close() method...

Aaron or Lenny;

Any idea what's causing this error message? It was fine before the A5V7 3004 Build update. This error occurs when I use the a5.close() command on my applications 5-7 times out of 10.

This occurs when I use the A5V7 Runtime. No errors happen when I use the A5V6 Runtime.

"DDE Server Window:Alpha5.exe - Application Error"

"The instruction at "0x0096454a" referenced memory at "0xffffff28". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."
    Last edited by awj; 11-11-2005 at 12:30 AM.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

does it happen in alphasports?

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default I'll check it out tonight...

Hi Selwyn;

I'll check it when I get home this evening. I have it on my laptop at home. I'll notify you once I know if I get the same error message, or otherwise.

many thx, awj

Quote Originally Posted by Selwyn Rabins
    does it happen in alphasports?

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Hi Selwyn;

I can't seem to duplicate the error in AlphaSports. It's only doing it with my "bG Monitor" application when I run the A5V7 runtime. What does the DDE thing mean? Could it be some variables are still open when I exit the app, or something? I'm at a total loss on this one.

If I run it in the A5V6 runtime, no problem. :confused:

awj
    Last edited by awj; 11-12-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

if you can send us your app, and we are able to duplicate the problem, we will be able to figure out what's going on.

thanks

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default App on the way...

Thanks Selwyn;

I'll pack it up before the end of the weekend.

thx, awj :)

Quote Originally Posted by Selwyn Rabins
    if you can send us your app, and we are able to duplicate the problem, we will be able to figure out what's going on.

thanks

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default DDE Error was almost resolved... I thought....

Hi Selwyn;

I had installed some software last week, that seemed to do something odd, but I never gave it any thought. So, I set my PC back to the Restore Point prior to that installation.

It appeared to be fine for a while. I now, had to reinstall the latest A5V7 patches, and it looks like the error messages are back again.

I'll send my bG application to you before the end of the weekend.

Thanks! awj :(
    Last edited by awj; 11-13-2005 at 02:00 AM.

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default DDE Error on another desktop machine...

Hi Selwyn;

I tried it on my desktop computer, and whoa, got that same annoying error message! Only here it comes once in awhile, not as often as on my laptop.

I wonder if it's another piece of software running somehow that's causing the DDE to collide? I'll be scratching my head on this one for a long time.

My other applications don't do this so I might have to go back to the drawing board and redo some things in my "bG Monitor" application and see if that fixes it.

thanks again, awj :)

Real Name
    George Corder

I am getting the similar error not on every close but as the previous poster states once every 6 or 7 application exits. Can't find any rhyme or reason.

AWJ, how did you come along with this? Did you upload your app to Selwyn?

Error message box image attached.

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default Almost given up..

Hi George;

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this error. I sent the app once to Selwyn, then Aaron Brown also - but they just can't seem to duplicate the error. Funny though, it's perfect if I use the A5V6 Runtime, I'm almost certain it's got to be in the A5V7 Runtime executable file. Again though, it's like chasing a needle in a haystack. I have yet to find someone really explain to me the DDE Error message or what it's likely causes are.

I'm hoping that some future A5V7 updates will "somehow" mysteriously resolve this annoying bug - but for now I'm going to use the A5V6 runtime with the app since I get no problems with it.

The nature of the message is almost telling me that 2 different applications appear to be trying to populate the exact same memory address - but then I think I'm guessing.

If by some chance you run into a solution and/or cause - please let me know.

many thx, awj :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by George Corder
    I am getting the similar error not on every close but as the previous poster states once every 6 or 7 application exits. Can't find any rhyme or reason.

Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

George
    Can you send us a copy of your application. Perhaps we will be able to duplicate the problem with your app. We were not with Andrew's app.

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default Persistent Error on a5.close() Command

I'm resubmitting this message, as it is becoming more and more prevalent when closing Alpha Five applications. I notice other users now are also getting this ERROR message as well.

Is anyone going to investigate this bug any further - it's really quite annoying and my customers are getting quite frustrated with the "BUG".

Please let me know what's being done on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

awj

Quote Originally Posted by awj
    Aaron or Lenny;

Any idea what's causing this error message? It was fine before the A5V7 3004 Build update. This error occurs when I use the a5.close() command on my applications 5-7 times out of 10.

This occurs when I use the A5V7 Runtime. No errors happen when I use the A5V6 Runtime.

"DDE Server Window:Alpha5.exe - Application Error"

"The instruction at "0x0096454a" referenced memory at "0xffffff28". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default They "couldn't find" any problem...

Hello George,

They looked at my app, but to no avail. I'm completely frustrated with this error as I'm sure you are. I've had lots of complaints from my customers on this.

I hope Alpha Software is going to dig deeper on this. It's not a good thing to have that error come up frequently. I've tried on several machines, and all do the same thing.

In a nutshell, it's like I'm in "Application Error" purgatory - no resolve as yet.

thx, awj

Real Name
    George Corder

I have not seen this in my apps for some time now, in fact had forgotten about this post. I will resubmit any reoccurences to this thread and send Selwyn the app causing the issue.

Real Name
    Mark Liermann

I have not seen this in my apps for some time now, in fact had forgotten about this post. I will resubmit any reoccurences to this thread and send Selwyn the app causing the issue.
    I would be curious to know if the people that are experiencing this error share a similar piece of hardware on their notebook or desktop ?

I vaguely remember experiencing similar issues with a specific software and the problem completely disappeared after I replaced a video card with another card........

Maybe post computer specs and see if their is a common hardware component.

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Default Computer specs...

I'm going to try setting my graphics card from "True Color" to "High Color", just to see what happens.

I've had that error message on many different machines, with different video cards etc., so I'm not sure. But based on your comment on the video card, I thought maybe tweaking it may find a possible "cure". I'll let you know - a longshot maybe, but nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey
    I would be curious to know if the people that are experiencing this error share a similar piece of hardware on their notebook or desktop ?

I vaguely remember experiencing similar issues with a specific software and the problem completely disappeared after I replaced a video card with another card........

Maybe post computer specs and see if their is a common hardware component.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Andrew, you might want to check whether your video display card is using "hardware acceleration". I recall situations (with earlier versions of Alpha Five) where conflicts in the display system would sometimes occur if portions of main memory are being used by the video display card to improve performance. Disabling video hardware acceleration solved the problem (back then).

You might also post the details on how your users are shutting down the app. What versions of Windows are they using? Are they 'X' ing out of the app from the control panel via Windows? Are they pushing a button you've scripted? What's the script look like? etc.

--tom
    Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 03-02-2006 at 07:40 AM.

Real Name
    Chris Howell

Default alpha5.exe - Application Error

Hi,

I have a new customer who installed A5v7 in the last couple of days and has sent me this email -

"Alpha keeps crashing on me at start up and I get the attached message when I close it down."

On the screen capture picture he sent me (its 430 KB so I can't attach it to this message) the error mesage says -

"alpha5.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x7c96f18d" referenced memory at "0x037db00c". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

We'd be grateful for any help.

Regards,

Chris

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Hi there;

Check your code on your startup form. I couldn't pinpoint the exact cause, but what I think happened is I had 2 similar scripts running from different events - which in turn caused it to collide.

If you find perhaps you have a script running the same calls with OnInit, and possibly OnActivate (this happened to me) -- it might cause the error message. Once I removed a lot of the code and referred only to one script - the ERROR message disappeared.

I hope that sheds a little light - I know it's not specific but I discovered I had written the same code on two different events that fired closely together as noted above. I must have been tired that night. I have never seen that error message again since!

awj :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Hi,

I have a new customer who installed A5v7 in the last couple of days and has sent me this email -

"Alpha keeps crashing on me at start up and I get the attached message when I close it down."

On the screen capture picture he sent me (its 430 KB so I can't attach it to this message) the error mesage says -

"alpha5.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x7c96f18d" referenced memory at "0x037db00c". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

We'd be grateful for any help.

Regards,

Chris

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

Hi Andrew et al,

I get the error from time to time also on my full version of A5V7, current build.

Bob Arbuthnot

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Chris, I wonder if there's conflict between Alpha Five and the video display system. To improve video performance Windows lets you enable "hardware acceleration" which (as it's been explained to me) dedicates a portion of main memory to the video display card's use. If the user is multi-tasking other large apps, and then starts Alpha Five, I wonder if Alpha is trying to use memory that the video display adapter has already reserved? This is a wild guess. But if it were me, I'd disable "hardware acceleration" for the video display adapter, and I'd exit all other applications. Then I'd start Alpha Five again to see if the error goes away. -- tom

Real Name
    Alan Lucas

Default Re: DDE Error Message on V7 Runtime with a5.close() method...

Why did this thread end on 04/11/2006?

Was it resolved?

Occasionally I get the error message when exiting A5, in different apps, but I cannot pinpoint the reason because it is so random and I have started to ignore it!

Do we let it fade away? or as a forum try to pinpoint the problem?

Everybody is busy building applications but there is an underlying problem that continually raises itself through the forum, how can we resolve this issue? any ideas?

Regards

Alan

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

I've just stumbled across a sequence that consistently (at least on my full version PC) reproduces this error. I've sent a bug report with attached database zip file to the good folks at Alpha5.

BA

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

Good News.

Got a reply back from Selwyn that he was able to reproduce the error and would be looking into it.

BA

Real Name
    Robin

Shoot, I can't get A5.close() to work at all. I designed my app in v4.5 and it closed fine, but not in v6 or v7. Apparently something has changed.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

Better News.

Received a pre-release of A5V7 patch from Selwyn that I have tested briefly and it appears that they have found and corrected whatever was causing this error.

BA

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Hi Bob;

Any word on when this release is available. I just stumbled onto this DDE Error once again when trying to addin some code to the autoexec script to handle my Trial Version of my application.

When I remove that code, all is well. The code looks up values in tables and puts them into variables to establish settings for the trial version.

awj :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Arbuthnot View Post
    Better News.

Received a pre-release of A5V7 patch from Selwyn that I have tested briefly and it appears that they have found and corrected whatever was causing this error.

BA

Real Name
    Ing./BICT Brendo Bongers

Does anyone ever have solved this error? I'm having this error also when closing a5.
    Ing./bict Brendo Bongers
    Software Engineer

http://www.brendobongers.nl

"There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

I don't know what the hold up is, unless all available man power is being invested in getting V8 out the door.

BA

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I have the same error showup occasionally on a few computers. Not sure what it is. I had believed it was McAfee or AIM which I discovered were on all of the ones affected. I have neither and mine does not have the error. Is it possible? I told them it was their software and they were all happy with the extra click, but it would be nice to solve it once and for all.

Dave