Alpha Video Training

Thread: start-up error in V6 after installing V7 on same machine

Real Name
    Scott Penrose

Default start-up error in V6 after installing V7 on same machine

After installing v7 dev, when I start v6 (it starts up way slow now - I guess due to the below error) I get the following message.

Error runing addin "startup_a5controls" could not open OLE object "a5controls.resources"
    Error running addin "startup_xdialog_context" error 1

This occurs before I try and open any databases (splash screen progress bar at about 30%).

V7 starts without errors.

Will there be any adverse impact on v6 Dev besides this message - I can't see any advice re: do not install v7 on the same machine as where v6 is inistalled (but I did note of course not to modify a v6 app in v7 and then go back and try and modify in v6 - which is expected).

Regards,
    Scott

Real Name
    David Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by scottly
    After installing v7 dev, when I start v6 (it starts up way slow now - I guess due to the below error) I get the following message.

Error runing addin "startup_a5controls" could not open OLE object "a5controls.resources"

This occurs before I try and open any databases (splash screen progress bar at about 30%).

Will there be any adverse impact on v6 Dev besides this message - I can't see any advice re: do not install v7 on the same machine as where v6 is inistalled (but I did note of course not to modify a v6 app in v7 and then go back and try and modify in v6 - which is expected).

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott -

I'm running v6.0, 6.0 Runtime, and 7.0 on my home development machine with no problems. They play very nicely together. On another of my 6.0 development machines, I had some strange behavior crop up once, and I merely ran the latest patch update again on that machine, and the problem was fixed. Maybe a file got corrupted or something. If I were you, I'd give this a try. It may put somethign back where it belongs.

-DW

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

This was a known issue with the v7 beta which was fixed. Did you download and install the latest V7 version or an older copy you already had?

In any case, reinstalling V6 will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by scottly

Regards,
    Scott

Real Name
    Scott Penrose

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Forziati
    This was a known issue with the v7 beta which was fixed. Did you download and install the latest V7 version or an older copy you already had?

In any case, reinstalling V6 will fix the problem.
    Thanks for the info. We did not have a v7 Beta installed - just installed the latest v7 full install download and then the latest patch. We will re-install v6 as you suggest.

Regards,
    Scott

Real Name
    Linda Johnson

Default Need help

I, too, have the message - error running addin 'startup_a5controls':could not open OLE object 'a5controls.resources' error running addin 'startup_xdialog_context':error 1

after installing v7 on a machine that already had v6.

I read the discussion about how to fix this problem and do not understand how to reinstall v6, since I downloaded it from the net. Also, I need to move my program from v 6 to v7, but am unsure how to safely do that.

I am very new at this and appreciate the help.