Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web server performance problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web server performance problem?

I've been having unexplained problems with my app so I've done a few test to try and figure it out. I need someone else to do some testing please. I can't put my finger on it, but there is a problem with the WebServer getting screwed up. I've tryed this on my local machine and the web server product.

Started with the "Customer_wDetailView.a5w" in WebAppDemo.
    I've added 5,000 test records to the existing customer table.
    I've created a new DEFAULT tabular, updatable, search grid component with ALL the fields and all the defaults. Search is Last Name, no other changes.

Publish and bring up the new page you created in the "localhost" web server.

Change the RECORDS per page to 100 and select SEARCH. No other changes and if the page comes up at all it takes forever to display it.

If you can get that working bring it up in a few different browsers to simulate multiable users and start doing simple searchs while leaving it at 100 records.

Sometimes the page returns WITHOUT ERROR but the search didn't happen??

It sometimes crash the web service to where you can't even stop it in A5 without a message showing. "The Server was not able to shutdown".

bump :)
    Lenny do you have any thought on this its driving me crazy and I'm not sure what to check or do? Is this a possible issue with WAS that your aware of?

Comment

If you change it to 10-20 records per page does it work correctly?

Comment

Yes

We didn't notice the problem until we started testing larger request and more users.

Comment

What is the hardware configuration you are using? WAS requires a hefty box,

Comment

Its a dell server with I believe 2 gig RAM and it also happens on my noteboook P mobile 1.6 with 1 gig RAM. ITS NOT THE BOX.

If it takes that hefty of a box to access a few hundred records from a few users then there is a major problem.

Comment

bump
              Alpha: I need to try and figure this out. Any suggestions?

Comment

If you can give me the steps to reproduce this problem, I can take a closer look. But following the steps in your description above, everything ran just fine for me.

Originally posted by ab042
                bump
                Alpha: I need to try and figure this out. Any suggestions?

Lenny Forziati
                Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Code:
                  I've created a new DEFAULT tabular, updatable, search grid component with ALL the fields and all the defaults. Search is Last Name, no other changes.
                      continue..... (See first msg in thread)
                  Please, what else do you need from me.
                  Just create a grid with ALL the fields as I have explained in the first msg.
                  I am so under the gun on this, I had a meeting today and it didn't go well.

Comment

Jerry, a 100x21 editable grid is hardly a real-world example of a well-designed web application. You are asking the server to calulate 2100 edit controls all at once, which is a lot of work to do.

I suggest rethinking your application design, web applications require a different approach than desktop apps. But if you really want to have this much on a single page, you can hand-code a page instead of using a grid component to significantly improve the performance. The grid offers a great deal of functionality but the trade-off is the prefoormance penalty.

Code:
                        continue..... (See first msg in thread)
                    Please, what else do you need from me.
                    Just create a grid with ALL the fields as I have explained in the first msg.
                    I am so under the gun on this, I had a meeting today and it didn't go well.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Lenny, the question and issue was not concerning a real world application or even a well designed application. It was nothing more than to reproduce a problem with WAS.

I was having unexplained lockups and problems with nothing near 2100 fields and if I would have posted that statement you would have ask me to see if the DEMO had the problem. So I created a very easy to create example of the problem.

As for the 2100 number you could also do a little different calculation and would come up with some very real numbers. For example if you had a form with 8 columns and only showed 20 line items you would hit your 2100 number in 13 users.

Considering 25, 50 or 100+ users or more columns and less line items and you statement below creates real problems.

It goes to the very integrity of a production application.

Comment

Jerry, I'm afraid you've come up against a limitation of the web components. That's one reason much of my stuff has been hand coded. I can create a page showing 9000 records (5200 displayed and ~4000 in drop-down controls) and it displays in about 12-15 seconds. Most of that time is required to download the 750K html page that is generated.

While I don't recommend most people attempting to view that many records all at once, it is no problem when you hand code the page - and the user has a high speed connection to download the huge page that results. Unfortunately, hand coding also removes the convenience and development speed of the web components but any time you automate something, something else has to give.

Also, this is not a "per user" issue as far as I know. One user trying to show hundreds of records in one web component will see slow load speeds and the whole thing will quit if it's big enough. I don't believe that a second or third user should have any effect on how user number one's page loads. A hand coded page showing 100 records with 6-8 columns of data takes only a second or two to load. Compare that to a web component load time and you will see a huge difference.

If you want to see the results with a hand coded page, go to http://www.trakitsp.com/inside and click on the San Diego link and use 'san' as both the name and password. THIS NAME AND PASSWORD WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. Once you get to the search page, click on any basic business type (a type with a single letter code) and click the search button. With my cable connection, it takes about 5 seconds to load 500 records. (The results page is purposely limited to 500 records with no paging allowed. That was done at the request of my customer but I won't get into all the details about why other than to say that it had to do with his business structure and was not a function of the WAS capabilities.)
                        Last edited by CALocklin; 11-20-2005, 06:54 PM.

Comment

By the way, that example page of mine takes about 1/2 the time to display 8 records as it does to show 500 records. The size of the page with 500 records is about 200K but with 8 records it's only about 8K which means the 8K / 8 record version should be an almost instantaneous download. I believe the reason for this non-proportional time difference is that each search runs a very complex query which means that Lightnining Optimization usually doesn't work. My guess is that the query itself takes about 4 seconds and the rest is download time.

This is also supported by the fact that the 500 record page will begin to print about the same time that an 8 record page starts (4 seconds on my system). Presumably the rest of the time is spent downloading the other 492 records worth of HTML - about 192K worth.

Comment

Cal: Nice site...good response time also...

Comment

Performance when using components does not scale linearly. So while there are different ways to get to 2100, 1x2100 and 21x100 are very different in terms of server load. Instead of testing a single page with many rows in a single request, test a single page with less rows but requested by multiple clients. There are a number of commercially available and open source tools for simulating web traffic or you could build one in Xbasic without too much work.

In terms of the actual problem you are trying to resolve, unexplained lockups and problems, I actually would have asked for a copy of your application and your server logs up until the time a problem ocurred, along with detailed instructions to recreate the pattern if it is reliably reproducible. If you'd like to send me those things, I will try to take a closer look at this tomorrow.

Lenny, the question and issue was not concerning a real world application or even a well designed application. It was nothing more than to reproduce a problem with WAS.

I was having unexplained lockups and problems with nothing near 2100 fields and if I would have posted that statement you would have ask me to see if the DEMO had the problem. So I created a very easy to create example of the problem.

As for the 2100 number you could also do a little different calculation and would come up with some very real numbers. For example if you had a form with 8 columns and only showed 20 line items you would hit your 2100 number in 13 users.

Considering 25, 50 or 100+ users or more columns and less line items and you statement below creates real problems.

It goes to the very integrity of a production application.

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Working...
                              X