Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Who have compared AlphaFive to WinDev ? O/T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Neal,

I think this threads name has to be changed to "Magic Versus Alpha" :)

I am too new to Alpha to give you an intelligent answer to your questions, but I don't think they are alike. I stayed with Magic thru V5.6 but also dropped out when the pricing got too high. I am not a professional programmer by trade, but I knew many "Magicians" who left because of their pricing structure.

I will be studying Alpha alot in the next month (before the trial expires) hopefully I'll get a better understaning of it.

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin G. Timberlake
      ...FMA has a simple export with the options allowed to be determined by the end user, and a simple "one click button" for the importing of any data with the end user determining the parameters. ...
      I'm not a fan of FileMaker Pro. But I must agree with Kevin. The imports and Exports are more simple than A5. This weekend I imported some simple data and it comes very secure what to tell A5 to do. FM just imports the data and taadaa. ..... But when it comes to flexibility A5 wins.

However. the comparison is not quite fair. FM has a complete different structure and field construction and is quite more a 4th generation application. FM (in my case version 5.5/6.0) has only memo fields as text fields. So throw a bunch of characters into a memo container and you are up and running.

I go for flexibility and stick to A5....and still I'm not a fan of FM and never will be.

About, WINDEV: You are comparing an Airbus A380 againt a Jumbo Jet 747.

Regards,

Marcel Kollenaar
      Last edited by Marcel Kollenaar; 01-05-2006, 06:33 PM.
      Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
      ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Hey Barry,

Get it while you can! Alpha Five is the best of Magic and Visual Basic combined. I know Basic, but still, 98% of everything I do requires no coding. If you thought Magic had a LOT of menu's, wait until you see A5! It's all a matter of picking choices off of menu's.

Gads! If you can still get a full license for $99, grab it. Actually... even at $350, it's still a bargain. Pickup up the runtime too, if it's still being offered at a discount. Really! If you have any ambition of earning a living as an independent developer, this is the only way to go!

Comment

I have been using Alpha for about a month and have just jumped in boots and all and tried to make it work for me: and I think I am succeeding! I haven't needed to write any code as such, the code editor has done it for me.

One of the contributing factors is this bulletin board and all the helpful people. And the Alpha staff themselves: I just cannot imagine the Gates Gang doing anything like this.

At the present prices you just cannot go wrong!

Kia ora

Robin (at 71)

Comment

Hello Kevin,
            Unless a "specific" script for the operation is made and then the end user cannot pick the file from the harddrive, but is required to have pre-ordained locations, import card made up in advance of the distribution, and specifically named.
            Don't know what you have gone through and what other have worked with you on and I have never worked with FileMaker, but I disagree with the above statement. Your runtime users are not locked into a specific file location or name. Now if you are talking about importing different structures and being able to determine and import varying fields and types on the fly, then this would take a some code to do this.

Good luck,
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Kollenaar
              About, WINDEV: You are comparing an Airbus A380 againt a Jumbo Jet 747.
              Ok, Marcel. You lost me on that analogy. Care to elaborate?
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter G.
                Ok, Marcel. You lost me on that analogy. Care to elaborate?
                It is just my way to say that WINDEV is a bloaded software package with a lot of bells and whistles (Airbus A380).

Saw on Discovery some documentaries about the Airbus A380 and Boeing 747. Both great airplanes, but there is a substantial difference between them as do between Windev and Alpha Five.

Windev has a data model editor, RAD, Version management, Link with third-party languages, RS -232 serial link, Multilingual ....and a lot of stuff more that you get after paying � 1650,-

Yes, maybe the analogy isn't a best example if you haven't seen the documentary.

Ok, I don't use the airplane metafore the next time. I don't want anybody lost on the topics ;)

Regards,

Marcel
                Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Kollenaar

Yes, maybe the analogy isn't a best example if you haven't seen the documentary.

Ok, I don't use the airplane metafore the next time. I don't want anybody lost on the topics
                  Yeah, I was familiar with the 747, but I was googling Airbus to see what the diff. might be. But it didn't jump out at me. So you're telling me not to fly Airbus becuase it's so loaded with junk, it just might crash? Hhhmmm...
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Go ahead fly it..

Yeah, I was familiar with the 747, but I was googling Airbus to see what the diff. might be. But it didn't jump out at me. So you're telling me not to fly Airbus becuase it's so loaded with junk, it just might crash? Hhhmmm...
                    Oh, no just fly the plane if you want, nothing wrong with it and I didn't say it was loaded with junk. It is even controlled by Green Hills Software�s INTEGRITY-178B Operating System for Engine Monitoring and Navigation Systems. Thank God it is not Windows .

I'm just telling that there are a lot of differences between the airplanes as do between Windev and Alpha Five. I liked the analogy, the size, the enormous adding of high tech stuff. And Sir Richard Bransom wants to add bubble baths to the planes he's buying, it isn't that bloaded...:D

And see Alpha Five, just right (imho), not bloaded only the things you need are present. A lot of people can drive it, yes there are complains but they get their jobs done.

Marcel
                    Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

So maybe we can get Alpha to rewrite their code to run on Green Hills Software�s INTEGRITY-178B Operating System. And while they're at it, they can throw in a bubble_baths() function.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

So maybe we can get Alpha to rewrite their code to run on Green Hills Software�s INTEGRITY-178B Operating System. And while they're at it, they can throw in a bubble_baths() function.

LOL

Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Working...
                        X