Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Expected Value" error when attempting to create a set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Expected Value" error when attempting to create a set

I'm a newbie to Alpha Five (not a newbie to database creation) so maybe missing something simple, but I have been unable to create a set with tables that I've created or imported. Every time I try to create a new set, I select a table in my database that I want to be the primary table for the set, then as soon as I hit the OK button an "expected value" error dialog shows up. That's it - no more information.

The funny thing is that I can create a new set when I'm using the AlphaSports database.

Help is appreciated.

This sounds like your table contains a formula for a calculated field that won't evaluate properly. Can you open the default form for the table?

Comment

Field names?

Originally posted by Alexjs1
      I'm a newbie to Alpha Five (not a newbie to database creation) so maybe missing something simple, but I have been unable to create a set with tables that I've created or imported. Every time I try to create a new set, I select a table in my database that I want to be the primary table for the set, then as soon as I hit the OK button an "expected value" error dialog shows up. That's it - no more information.

The funny thing is that I can create a new set when I'm using the AlphaSports database.

Help is appreciated.
      From the part about imported tables I would suspect field naming problems. Do your field names conform to Basic_Concepts_and_Terminology.htm
      There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks, but....

Originally posted by Stan Mathews
        From the part about imported tables I would suspect field naming problems. Do your field names conform to Basic_Concepts_and_Terminology.htm
        Sorry, no formulas or calculated fields, and no irregular field names (all letters and underscores). Is there anything one must do when setting up field rules, particularly for the primary key (I've just been using a number field and setting up auto-increment)?

Thanks!

Comment

Can you create a new table from scratch and then start to make a set from the newly created table? If you can, then I would suspect your primary table that is giving you the problem is corrupted. You can try packing the table, but my guess is you will need to create a new table from scratch, and then try to append the records.

Just a thought.
          Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Blank
            Can you create a new table from scratch and then start to make a set from the newly created table? If you can, then I would suspect your primary table that is giving you the problem is corrupted. You can try packing the table, but my guess is you will need to create a new table from scratch, and then try to append the records.

Just a thought.
            I've attempted to create several tables, none of which could be made into a set. I even created a new database and then tried again with no success. I assume that having data in the tables is not necessary for a set, or am I mistaken?

Comment

You are correct. It is not necessary to have data in the tables when creating sets.

I don't know what to tell you. My only suggestion would be to try re-installing Alpha Five.
              Dan

Comment

how about a detailed example of what you are trying to do

If you zip the directory with your files and post it here, we might see something that is causing your problem.
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Here it is

My bet is that you'll be able to create a set without a problem even though I could not. As you can see, this is about as simple as a database can get. The only attributes I changed were to make the respective primary keys auto-increment. BTW, I have re-installed the software with no success.

Any known problems with XP SP2?

Thanks!

Comment

"respective primary keys auto-increment" ????

This is needed in the primary table only. To do this in the linked child table is unnecessary and will break the link between parent and child.

-- tom

Comment

Good Catch

Alex

Not much gets by Tom.....

Does that get you on the right track?
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr
                        "respective primary keys auto-increment" ????

This is needed in the primary table only. To do this in the linked child table is unnecessary and will break the link between parent and child.

-- tom
                        Tom,

I tried removing auto-increment from what would be the child table with no luck, then I removed it from the other one - still no success. On another note, last I checked every table needs a primary key and it's usually best to use a key field that auto-increments. This shouldn't have any impact on the relationship between two tables. Is there something in Alpha Five that is different from most RDBMS's?

Thanks,

Alex

Comment

If I am reading and understanding your problem (and I probably am not). You are going to the control panel, under tables, selecting create a new set, get the list of tables, selecting a table to be the parent, and the Okay button becomes active, you click the Okay button, but you get an error and can not go any further. Is this correct?
                          Dan

Comment

Getting started

Tom,

Is there something in Alpha Five that is different from most RDBMS's?

Thanks,

Alex
                            Alex,

Let me try to explain why I recommended removing the autoincrement field rule in the child table. In a set based data entry form when you enter a new child table record Alpha Five will supply the necessary link field value to the new child table record automatically. You can see this in action by opening any of the sets in AlphaSports using the default form for the set. (Right click the set, choose the default form view.) The default form does not even include a field object for the child table link field. Yet when the child table is examined independently (after entering a record through the set based form) you'll see that the link field is not empty, but in fact now contains the correct link field value. If you want to include a field in the child table that will be used to link to a grandchild table, then (as pertains to the grandchild table) that field could be populated using autoincrement field rule, just don't use the same field to link to the first parent table, ok?

Now, having said all that I've taken a look at your tables and the field rules and indexes. I recommend you delete the "unique records" filter you have placed on the link field indexes. If you think this is how one assures that duplicate primary keys will be blocked, this is understandable, but incorrect. Unlike other RDBMS with which you may have more experience in Alpha Five a "unique" index does not restrict data entry at all. Duplicate keys are permitted. If duplicate keys are present then the "unique" index causes Alpha Five to show only one. The "Unique" setting for Alpha Five indexes is useful at report time, but does not prevent the entry of records with duplicate primary keys. Check the help files for further details on what "unique" means in this context.

Once you've changed the indexes to "All", instead of "unique", I recommend you define a simple expression as the default field value for the primary key in the table you want to be parent in your set. This is done using the data entry tab in field rules. (scroll down a bit to see it). This will cause Alpha Five to insert a default field value when a record is begun or saved (depending on how you define it; I recommend you select insert at start of data entry). This is how one seeds the autoincrement field in a table that is empty, like yours. The default field value is inserted, then saved with the record. When the second record is entered previous field value is automatically incremented, the default is not used because the field is populated by the autoinc field rule.

I hope this helps get you going. It's far easier to do these things than it is to describe them in narrative text. Hope I haven't left anything out.

--tom
                            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 12-04-2005, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Tom,

I tried removing auto-increment from what would be the child table with no luck, then I removed it from the other one - still no success. On another note, last I checked every table needs a primary key and it's usually best to use a key field that auto-increments. This shouldn't have any impact on the relationship between two tables. Is there something in Alpha Five that is different from most RDBMS's?

Thanks,

Alex
                              Yes, you should have a unique index on each record, but that is not the field that the linkage between a parent and component should be based on.

ie, a customer and an invoice should each have an id that allows you to find them individually. But to link the customer to all if its invoices, the invoice table needs to contain the customer number. Then you can build a set where the customer is the parent and the invoice is the child has a link on the common field customer_id.

In your case, with name and position, you may need a third table that shows 'current_assignments' where the employee and the job are tied together. Parent - current_assignment: children 1-1 to name and position.
                              In fact I do that in a current system showing exactly that relationship.

I would suggest for clarity sake that you use id names like name_id, position_id, current_assignment_id to keep it straight. But you can use the same name, I just find it not as self-documenting.
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X