Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

PDFs failing in old Adobe Reader versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PDFs failing in old Adobe Reader versions

We create PDF invoices to send to customers after an order has been placed. Recently, customers have been calling back saying that they are unable to open the files. I am able to open them on Adobe Reader 7 on my machine, but I have tried Adobe Reader 6, Acrobat Reader 4, and ghostview, all of which claim the file cannot be open. Ghostview error reads as such:

Code:
       **** Warning:  An error occurred while reading an XREF table.
       **** The file has been damaged.  This may have been caused
       **** by a problem while converting or transfering the file.
       **** Ghostscript will attempt to recover the data.
    I'm just starting to look into this now, putting out this thread as a first step. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Has the PDF creation feature changed recently?

We are using Alpha Five V6 (Build 2057) in house.
    Adam Backstrom <[email protected]>

Quick bump for this thread. I've made no progress with this on my end, still hoping for some outside suggestions.

I'll do some additional tests shortly: verify that other report PDFs show up in older versions of the Reader, delete fields until the PDF displays, etc.

Comment

I use acrobat reader 5 and it has no problem opening PDFs I am generating from A5v6.

The PDF creation functionality was not changed in v6.

Originally posted by abackstrom
      Quick bump for this thread. I've made no progress with this on my end, still hoping for some outside suggestions.

I'll do some additional tests shortly: verify that other report PDFs show up in older versions of the Reader, delete fields until the PDF displays, etc.
      Last edited by AaronBBrown; 12-16-2005, 10:20 AM.

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

One of my customers is experiencing the same or similar problem. He has found that the PDF works every time on their internal system but when the same e-mail is also sent to an address outside of his system - like to his personal e-mail address at home - the PDF is sometimes unreadable. E-mails sent to his house seem to have the same incidence of error as his customers are seeing.

This is not a problem that seems to be customer specific. The problem is sporadic and occurs with most customers. (Can't say "all" for sure but it's at least a lot of them.)

They are reporting about a 10% error rate.

No, we haven't found a solution yet. I'm planning to see if we can get the functionality we need by using a full version of Adobe.

Comment

Solved, sort of

We're finding that PDFs created via the normal "view" button work fine on all machines. When using this button, there are no problems.

Pressing the "E-mail as PDF" button will automatically attach the PDF to a new Outlook Express message in our environment. Saving this attached file to the workstation yields an identical file to the first case.

E-mailing this file out will produce a corrupt PDF. Viewing the two PDFs side by side in a hex editor shows that two bytes have been deleted near the beginning of the file. I haven't yet done the full gamut of testing, but for now we're having our people save the PDFs and attach them to e-mails manually. I believe that's turned out to be a suitable workaround.

Comment

Interesting. Is it always the same bytes? I guess that should be, "Do the missing bytes always have the same value? If so, we could probably find a way to test for them and replace them if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin
              Interesting. Is it always the same bytes? I guess that should be, "Do the missing bytes always have the same value? If so, we could probably find a way to test for them and replace them if necessary.
              Yes, it does seem to be the same bytes. The header, before e-mailing:
              Code:
              0000000: 2550 4446 2d31 2e33 0[b]d0[/b]a 25ff ffff ff0[b]d[/b]  %PDF-1.3..%.....
              0000010: [b]0[/b]a36 2030 206f 626a 0d3c 3c20 2f4c 656e  .6 0 obj.<< /Len
              0000020: 6774 6820 3720 3020 5220 2f46 696c 7465  gth 7 0 R /Filte
              After sending:
              Code:
              0000000: 2550 4446 2d31 2e33 0a25 ffff ffff 0a36  %PDF-1.3.%.....6
              0000010: 2030 206f 626a 0d3c 3c20 2f4c 656e 6774   0 obj.<< /Lengt
              0000020: 6820 3720 3020 5220 2f46 696c 7465 7220  h 7 0 R /Filter
              0xd0 (bolded) has been stripped from two places in the file.

This is consistent, I've verified it with two seperate reports. This problem only shows up after the PDF is mailed. The more I explore this, the less it looks like an Alpha problem. I think it's either Outlook Express or our mail server at this point. We're upgrading to A5V7 this evening. I'll see if that changes anything.
              Last edited by abackstrom; 02-09-2006, 11:24 AM.

Comment

We had some progress on this yesterday. I believe we have fixed the problem, but it will take time before we know for sure.

Microsoft Outlook Express is flawed (in my opinion) in the way it selects an encoding for message attachments. PDF files are binary data, but Outlook Express does not always treat it as such. While this knowledge base article is not 100% applicable to our situation, it does show that OE will happily encode some PDFs as quoted-printable instead of base64. This produces a corrupt file in our experience.

This is a known issue documented on the Amyuni forums. PDFs created by the Amyuni PDF creator are generally small files: our customer invoice reports were in the neighborhood of 12K. OE parses the short file and incorrectly interprets the data as text, causing corruption as the attachment is delivered.

The solution is to embed fonts into the PDF, thereby making the file more binary-heavy and forcing base64 encoding in OE. At this time we've erred on the side of caution and gone for heavy font embedding, bloating a 12K PDF to over 800K. It's a lot more data to push around, but it's better than customers being unable to read our quotes and invoices.

So, this problem was outside Alpha Five in the end.

Comment

So, how do you embed fonts when building a pdf of an Alpha report?

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin
                    So, how do you embed fonts when building a pdf of an Alpha report?
                    Fair enough. =)

The embed options are buried in the system-wide "PDF Driver" virtual printer.

"Printing Preferences..." will get you to the Amyuni options.

Enable "Font embedding" on the "Advanced options" tab. Click "Embedding Options" for more granularity in the embedding.

"Embed standart fonts" will give you some pretty hefty PDFs.

Comment

Just for fun, here's a snippet of the truncated file from the e-mail source:
                      Code:
                      ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C6315E.59C494A0
                      Content-Type: application/pdf;
                              name="OrderAck2002B6.pdf"
                      Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
                      Content-Disposition: attachment;
                              filename="OrderAck2002B6.pdf"

%PDF-1.3=0A=
                      %=FF=FF=FF=FF=0A=
                      6 0 obj=0D<< /Length 7 0 R /Filter /FlateDecode >>=0Dstream=0Dx^=A5X=DDV=DB=
                      The trunated bytes were just before the first two linefeeds.

Comment

Working...
                      X