Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha Sports Customer Search

Real Name
    Shawn Mason

Default Alpha Sports Customer Search

I'm new to alpha five and trying to create a database for a church. I have been all over the help files and the message boards trying to create a search like the one in the Alpha Sports Demo. I'm missing something though. I know this has been a popular thread over time. I would appreciate any help that anyone could give on this. I've attached the zipped files for a simple database I'm trying to learn this procedure on. Once I get this down I'll make an exhaustivley detailed demo so that other newbies will be able to learn this to. Thanks for the help.

P.S. Sorry if this comes out messed up. This is my first post.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Shawn, welcome to Alpha Five.

1) define an initial value for the variable "vcSearchby". I suggest "Last". (Do this in the last column of the grid you used to define this variable in the form layout.)

2) change the calc expression for the calc field "display" to:
    Code:
    display = eval(var->vcSearchBy)
    (you want "display" to contain the contents of the variable vcSearchby, not the name of the vcSearchBy variable)

3) bind the SearchBy object to Var->vcSearchBy, instead of Main->Address (do this using the "Field" text box on the Setup tab in the Properties of the SearchBy object)

4) edit the OnChange event script for the SearchBy object as follows:

a. comment out the line which assigns 1 to the text property of the object named mulstbtn1. (you don't have an object with that name in your layout)

b. comment out the line which refreshes browse1

c. add the following line after the statement which fetches the first record

topparent.resynch()

For an Alpha Five newbie you've been swimming in the deep end of the pool. Go get some rest. Then let us know if you have any questions.

-- tom

Real Name
    Shawn Mason

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm working 12 hour dayshifts for the next few days. I won't have a chance to get to try these items until tonight. Suggestions 1 and 4 I'm a little fuzzy on. 2 and 4 I understand completely. I've tried #2 and gotten an "invalid expression before". Thanks again. I've got to run out the door though. I'll try these tonight and repost.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

I've tried #2 and gotten an "invalid expression before".
    That's because the variable, "vcSearchBy", did not have an actual value. When you set a default value (step 1) you'll get past this error message just fine. i.e. if you had specified an initial value for the variable in the grid where you declared it, you would never have seen the error message.

-- t

Real Name
    Shawn Mason

Default Thank You Mr. Tom Cone Jr.

Seeing it work for the first time put a :) Big Smile on my face. It's still there now as I write this. I had about 12 hours of frustration trying to figure it out by myself. Again. Thank You. I'll get to work on documenting doing this for new guys....