Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Fixed Grid Column Widths/Row Heights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Grid Column Widths/Row Heights

The WAS likes to dynamically adjust Column Widths/Row Heights depending upon the field contents. I want to fix the W + H. Seems like this should be a simple setting, but apparently not?

Is there a way?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

You fix the width of the overall grid under Properties / Table Tag Attributes. Just put in "width=xxx" where xxx is your width in pixels.

If you added Layout Commands / Tab Control, the width is set under Sizing in the tab control - but this is only the tab area within the overall grid, so it should be set something smaller than your overall grid with.

Text boxes are set by the Size attribute, lables are set by the Label In-line Style and the Heading Inline Style (need both) otherwise it automatically sets to the size of the heading. Format here is "width: xxx" where xxx is in pixels.

Height is set here too, format for both is: "height: x; width: x". If you set height for one field, this sets the height for all fields.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, I have tried that and it does not work. The height still expands and although the width will work for data shorter than the column, longer data cause the column width to expand anyway. I can somewhat control it by using a combination of a trimmed calc field and the width parameter. But even then, it is not perfect, unless I trim the calc field shorther than the column width by trial & error - and even that won't allow me to control the height due to the uncertainty of crlf() in the memo field.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

This is an HTML limitation - no matter what you specify for height and width, if they are not large enough for the contecnt then your browser will expand the table cell for you.

There is no way to avoid this from the design of your grid or HTML, you will need to trim your data if it is crucial that your cells never expand. And even then, you have no control over the fonts being used by your user's browser so they could have things set to be really large and still be larger than the table cell.

Originally posted by Peter G.
        Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, I have tried that and it does not work. The height still expands and although the width will work for data shorter than the column, longer data cause the column width to expand anyway. I can somewhat control it by using a combination of a trimmed calc field and the width parameter. But even then, it is not perfect, unless I trim the calc field shorther than the column width by trial & error - and even that won't allow me to control the height due to the uncertainty of crlf() in the memo field.

Lenny Forziati
        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thanks for that clarification, Lenny.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Re: Fixed Grid Column Widths/Row Heights

Originally posted by Lenny Forziati View Post
            This is an HTML limitation - no matter what you specify for height and width, if they are not large enough for the contecnt then your browser will expand the table cell for you.

There is no way to avoid this from the design of your grid or HTML, you will need to trim your data if it is crucial that your cells never expand. And even then, you have no control over the fonts being used by your user's browser so they could have things set to be really large and still be larger than the table cell.
            I also have the issue with height of the grid row (also detail rows). And I am referring not to the field text boxes, but the row area containing the fields.
            When I generate the "live preview" the row heights appear as tight as I would like them, but when publishing and then viewing in the browser the row height is over 50% taller than in live preview, but the data cell/text box height remains the same as it was in live preview. The result is that I use up more monitor real estate (top to bottom) than I would like to.
            The solution must be in the CSS setting; I have tried to adjust by changing CSS settings, but have not discovered the magic setting. I started with the generic Glass Blue. Thank you for any suggestions.

I have included a side by side example: browser results on the left; live preview on the right.row height - browser vs Live Preview.png

Comment

This limitation has been beyond frustrating... has anyone found a workaround? This seems like something that should be easy to do.

Comment

This is the V7 forum, are you recent posters using V7?

Otto, study the web view using Firebug to determine what CSS is being applied to cause the extra space (if any), then adjust either in the grid or using page-level CSS. If you toss that grid up on a public page and give me the URL, I can do it for you. GlassBlue is a legacy style, try updating to a more recent style (unless you really are using V7.)

Jose - which limitation, the one Peter described in the first post and Lenny said was out of Alpha's control and totally dependent on HTML limitations? You can mostly 'defeat' that limitation by truncating your text or using Javascript to dynamically change the font size based on string length (likely not an easy task). As to truncating the text, in the past I have used a function to trim long text to 100 characters and place a "more..." at the end if the string was longer than 100 characters, and the "more..." was a hyperlink to a popup that displayed the full text.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Try using the white-space property in the Cell in-line style. I set it to normal and it worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                    This is the V7 forum, are you recent posters using V7?

Otto, study the web view using Firebug to determine what CSS is being applied to cause the extra space (if any), then adjust either in the grid or using page-level CSS. If you toss that grid up on a public page and give me the URL, I can do it for you. GlassBlue is a legacy style, try updating to a more recent style (unless you really are using V7.)

Jose - which limitation, the one Peter described in the first post and Lenny said was out of Alpha's control and totally dependent on HTML limitations? You can mostly 'defeat' that limitation by truncating your text or using Javascript to dynamically change the font size based on string length (likely not an easy task). As to truncating the text, in the past I have used a function to trim long text to 100 characters and place a "more..." at the end if the string was longer than 100 characters, and the "more..." was a hyperlink to a popup that displayed the full text.
                    Hi,

In which event or where did you place the Javascript to truncate the text and display the hyperlink? I have not been able to truncate the tex without changing the field value.

Thanks,

Jose

Comment

I was wondering the same thing Steve (about the "more" link) and yeah I am in V12 - far cry from 7 in fact I have never seen v7.
                      What I really wanna know is if Steve has a book coming out on all his tips and tricks, lol !!!
                      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Working...
                      X