Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Button on one page to go to another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lenny,
    I placed the html you suggested in a cell in the freeform. Right clicking on the form buttons allows me to select "View source". When I click on that, I get the html source page. I then entered your html suggestion below the tag and when I test it, nothing happens other than the button depresses.

When I look at the html, I see:

<td width=535 background="">&nbsp;<form method="post" action=""><button id="button_adv1" name="button_adv1"
    style="WIDTH: 257px; HEIGHT: 24px">Persons authorized to open the
    facility</button></form></td>

Apparently the html was re-written to this, but why? Where is the html code I typed? Do I erase the above from the source html and place the code you suggest somewhere else?

Sorry about my frustration...

Thank you,
    Wanda

Comment

Do not do anything in WYSIWYG mode, you must do it all as source. When you created the buttons in WYSIWYG mode, it had no idea what youwanted to do so it created something other than what you need.

Originally posted by Wanda Tucker
      Lenny,
      I placed the html you suggested in a cell in the freeform. Right clicking on the form buttons allows me to select "View source". When I click on that, I get the html source page. I then entered your html suggestion below the tag and when I test it, nothing happens other than the button depresses.

When I look at the html, I see:

<td width=535 background="">&nbsp;<form method="post" action=""><button id="button_adv1" name="button_adv1"
      style="WIDTH: 257px; HEIGHT: 24px">Persons authorized to open the
      facility</button></form></td>

Apparently the html was re-written to this, but why? Where is the html code I typed? Do I erase the above from the source html and place the code you suggest somewhere else?

Sorry about my frustration...

Thank you,
      Wanda

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

I'm not working in WYSIWYG. I'm working in a table in a freeform. I have edited the code according to your instruction, and deleted the incorrect html code that was automatically generated for some strange reason.

Now when I test it, it opens another instance of the form that contains the button (even though the form action states the correct page to open).

Here is the code. Can you spot anything?

</table><form action="Auto_Prsn_Pg.a5w"><input type="submit" id="submit1" name="submit1" value="Persons authorized to open the facility"></form>

I don't find, however the <body></body> tags unless I go to the html editor, instead of view the source from the freeform editor.

Am I getting closer?

Thank you!
        Wanda

Comment

Opening wrong page

Found the body tags - there are several blank lines below and above the tags.

The button still opens another instance of the Main_Page.a5w page, instead of the Auth_Prsns_Pg.a5w. I have tested the button from both places: in a cell inside the table, and outside of the table. Why isn't it opening the page that I'm putting in my code?

Since I'm wanting a PAGE to open, why am I using the FORM tag? Is a page a form?

Thank you,
          Wanda

Comment

Wanda,

did you notice my post 5 entries before your last? Give it a try, it works for me. I don't like coding also. regards, Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,
              Thank you for your persistence. I didn't want to get confused by trying two different methods, and have kept with the coding attempt because I feel that I'm pretty close.

However, I will give your method a try when I return from lunch. Thanks again for your persistence - I'll post my results :)
              Wanda

Comment

In the HTML world, buttons must be within a form. Forms have an action, which is the page that should be loaded when a submit button is clicked. If you wanted a hyperlink instead of a button, you would not need to use an HTML form.

Since I'm wanting a PAGE to open, why am I using the FORM tag? Is a page a form?

Thank you,
                Wanda

Lenny Forziati
                Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thank you, Lenny. I really don't know what I want - or care whether or not I use a real button, hyperlink, or whatever - just as long as it's visually pleasing, easy for the user to use, and opens a different page.

I looked in Help about Hyperlink and actually placed two different types of links, but neither works. There must be something else I need to do that I am not being made aware of through Help.

I still don't understand why the button I have now is opening another instance of the page that it is clicked on. The code doesn't instruct it to open the same page, but rather the other page that I really want it to open. Why?

Wanda

Comment

What expression do I define for a button?

Hey Ron,
                    I'm going to attempt the calculated fields, but have no clue what the expressions would be. Can you elaborate, please?
                    Thank you,
                    Wanda

Comment

html within xbasic to create button to switch pages

Lenny, Ron, Peter...
                      I somehow managed to edit the html code that Lenny suggested, within the Xbasic editor and achieved the desired results.

What was missing in the code, and I think because the button is inside a cell in a table, was the </td> at the end.

Sorry if my syntax is confusing! Thank you all for your help...now, tomorrow I ought to be able to create more than 1 button for 10 hours worth of work!

Cheers,
                      Wanda

PS Ron, I'd still like to know what your expression is for the calculated fields. It does seem to be an easier route to go. Thanks.

Comment

Wanda,

In component, at query(DBF),Press Calculated fields, and insert something like this:

Button1 = "Press this to go to Page 1"
                        Button2 = "Press this to go to Page 2"
                        Button3 = "Press this to go to Page 3"

Use this fields to Link to your pages. Display value in field
                        attached picture.
                        Nothing fancy, but it works. Regards, Ron
                        Last edited by rleunis; 01-05-2006, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Peter,
                          So, is there not an easier way, built-in to the WAS, v7? If not, I'll try what you are suggesting, but to date have not even been able to successfully edit any sort of code. I HATE CODE!
                          Hi Wanda,

Here is a page that has two buttons, both of which, when pressed take you to a new page. You should be able to cut and paste into a new page and then change the pages I have for the pages you need.

Here's a picture of the page.

Comment

12 hours and still hunting for how to make ONE button work!

Hi Clint,
                            Thank you so much - I'm chomping at the bits to get to your code, but there aren't any pages in the file you attached...can you retry it, please?

Aside from that - for some reason my code is not opening the correct page anymore. I've looked and looked and looked for any problem with it. One thing I've noticed is that when I am in the html screen while working with the table in the freeform, I notice an odd tag, if you will, that won't go away even when I delete it. See for yourself...notice after the Value="Persons authorized to open the facility" that the word "form" followed by <> insists on being there even when I delete it and save. It always comes back. Why?

<form action="Auth_Prsn_Pg.a5w">
                            <input type="submit" Value="Persons authorized to open the facility" form <></form>
                            </td><tr></tr>

Ron, even though I've followed your instructions to the T, no button becomes visible at all either inside a cell on the form, or on its own line. The calculated field is simply ignored. I've played with other settings, but still no dice! Is there something you've neglected to tell me that I need to do, such as not hiding the column, or the target frame or window, or whether it should be updateable, etc?

I'm ready to pull my hair out...working on 12 hours JUST TO GET 1 BUTTON TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your help, though! It just amazes me that something that should be very simple, according to other software by Alpha, has turned into a nightmare for me. How did the rest of you who have working buttons manage to get the first one?!!!

Thank you,
                            Wanda

Comment

Hi Clint,
                              Thank you so much - I'm chomping at the bits to get to your code, but there aren't any pages in the file you attached...can you retry it, please?
                              I used the built in zipping from A5V7 to submit the page. I didn't send but one page with the buttons, the pages I go to when you push the buttons will be different that yours of course.

Did you try to restore my test page to your system and then look at the source?

Clint

Comment

Hey Clint,
                                > Could you zip/send your example again, please...or maybe copy/paste
                                > the code into a word doc and send to me, please? I think you missed
                                > including a file in your post attachment, as there is no db or table
                                > to open. Thank you. W

Comment

Working...
                                X