Alpha Video Training

Thread: Extracting day name

Real Name
    Patrick Pierre-Jerome

Default Extracting day name

I have a date field and a day field on a form. I need the day field to display the name of the day of the week based on the date in the date field.
    I've tried to find a function that might work, but I couldn't.
    I am using version 6.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    There is no love sincerer than the love of food.
    George Bernard Shaw

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Did you overlook CDOW() ?

-- tom

Real Name
    Patrick Pierre-Jerome

Default Function names

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr
    Did you overlook CDOW() ?

-- tom
    Hello Tom,
    The list of functions is impressive. The trouble for me is that I have difficulty finding the function I want based on the function name. CDOW() is grouped with character functions. I spend most of my time looking through the list of date functions. I never expected to find it grouped with character functions. CDOW() gives no hint of its purpose at first glance. I was looking for a function that might have had the word date in its name. I assume "C" refers to the character value the function returns and "DOW" stands for "day of the week". Armed with that bit of knowledge, I figured out what cmonth() means.
    I'm slowly getting accustomed to this program.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    George Bernard Shaw

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by foodminer
    Hello Tom,
    The list of functions is impressive. The trouble for me is that I have difficulty finding the function I want based on the function name. CDOW() is grouped with character functions. I spend most of my time looking through the list of date functions. I never expected to find it grouped with character functions. CDOW() gives no hint of its purpose at first glance. I was looking for a function that might have had the word date in its name. I assume "C" refers to the character value the function returns and "DOW" stands for "day of the week". Armed with that bit of knowledge, I figured out what cmonth() means.
    I'm slowly getting accustomed to this program.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Takes getting used to, I suppose. Do you use the .chm version of the Alpha Five Help, either the webhelp or downloaded? Searching for day of week, on the search tab, gets you to CDOW() pretty easily, depending on your connection speed.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Patrick, I used the CHM version of the Alpha Five Help system, clicked the Index tab; chose Date; chose Functions, and then visually scanned the entire list of date / time functions. Found it grouped with other "conversion" functions.

If you're not familiar with this list of functions check it out. The explanation for CDOW() was very complete:

Returns a character string containing the name of the day of the week for the specified Date.
    -- tom

Real Name
    Patrick Pierre-Jerome

Default Odd function grouping

Hello Tom,
    I did not think to use the help system to find the "CDOW()" function. You are right about the explanation being very complete.
    The place where I had difficulty finding the function was elsewhere. While in the expression builder, I pressed F4 on my keyboard which brought up the function finder dialog box. From the "select a category" drop-down list, I selected "date". CDOW() was not in the resulting list. Instead, it shows up in the list when I choose "character" from the drop-down list. Like Stan said in his post above, "Takes getting used to, I suppose".
    George Bernard Shaw

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Patrick, the "Alpha Five Help" (CHM version) is often kept open in a separate window for quick reference by many of us. If you're not using it you're working too hard. It's a wonderful resource. -- t