Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

place a calendar on a form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

place a calendar on a form

Howdy,

I'd like to put a calendar on my form that displays the current month. It would be really nice be able to select the day of the month, and it would filter out the appointments for that day.
    I've used the add-in calendar, but it doesn't display enough data to be useful, and it only works on the data in the parent table.
    I've thought of a multi-state button that displays the days of the month as an easy go-around, but that wouldn't display in the order of the days of the week. In order for me to create something that did, I'd have to do more programing than I know how.
    Thanks, any ideas would be appreciated.
    Brad Steinfeldt

1- Take any blank form. Use the drag and drop list of fields, to drag the <new variable> field, and drop that onto your Form.

2- You will be asked for a field name and type. Make up a name and select, Date as type.

3- Now left click on your new variable to goto the Properties of that new object. There, change the Field-Type from Date to Calender. Save and run that and you'll have a pop up calender.

But wait! This is really cool! Directly to the right of the Field-Type prompt you'll see a "?" button. Press that and you'll see examples of all the possible field display options.

Comment

That will work great, and it's so simple. I've used that feature alot for my fields, but I never thought to use it this way.
      I can now use that variable to filter my browse.
      Thanks.
      Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

My calendar's 'none' style seems confused

I tried your suggestion of putting a calendar on my form. My calendar starts out with January 1, 2006 in the upper left corner. Counting to the right from the 1, I have 1,9,17,25,space,space,space. Counting down from the 1 I have 1,8,15,22,29,space,2. Through the middle of the calendar is a diagonal of spaces.

In my preferences, calendar settings, I have the style set to 'none'. I find that if I choose a different style, the problem is fixed, but then I am unable to specify a prompt.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to fix this?

-- Dick James

Comment

Great tip...

Is there anyway to force the calendar to popup when opening the form it is placed on without having to click it?

Thanks!

Comment

Mark, if the date field in your table is first in tab order on your form you can use the OnArrive event of the field object to run a script that pops up a calendar control.

In the following example, Prj_date is both the date type field in my table, and the name of the field object in my form that displays whatever date value Prj_date contains.

Code:
            date_str = popup.calendar(dtoc(date()))  'function returns char string "MM/DD/YYYY"
            prj_date.value = ctod(date_str)   'convert to date data type before assigning to field object in form
            Note that the assignment is to the field object in the form, so I use the field object name, and it's "value" property.

Hope this helps.

-- tom

Comment

my calendar script example

Dick,

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what your doing, but this is what I came up with Neil's direction.
              I created a new variable "calendar_field" for my form, and I placed the variable on the form. I followed Neil's instructions and changed the properties of the variable so it will dropdown a calendar when you click it. Then, in the events for that field, I added a script to "OnChange". That way, when someone changes the variable by selecting a calendar date, the script will run.
              This is the code of that script:

Code:
              dim tbl as P
              dim qry as P

tbl = table.current() 

'  This is my Query.  Sch_Date is the date of my appointments.
                  '  It filters out the appts. that match my Calendar_field variable
              query.description = "Date Appointments" 
              query.order = "Sch_Date+Sch_Time"
              query.filter = "Sch_Date = VAR->Calendar_field"
              query.options = "" 
              qry = tbl.query_create()  

browse1.fetch_first()  ' This line points me to the first record of the new
                                            ' query, which is the first appt. of the date the user
                                            ' just selected.
              browse1.resynch()     ' this re-lists browse1 (my list of appointments)
                                            ' to show those filtered appointments
              It would be nice to have a fixed calendar with the date highlighted on my form. It would give the user a better perspective of the date of the appointments being displayed. But that's really not that big of a deal. If the user needs that perspective, he simply needs to click the field again, and it pops up. Considering how realitively simple it was, I'll live with the pop-up. In fact, I might even grow to like it. I like it much more than my other ideas, and the other routes I was taking.
              Hope that helps you. If not, you'd have to attach a file or picture to show what you're up to, then maybe I could help. Then again, maybe not. To come up with these few lines of code took me about 3 hours because I always have to start with action scripting, convert it to xbasic, and then play with it for a while. I look at the code now, and it looks easy, but when I start something, I'm all over the place.

-Brad
              Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

Tom,

I haven't tried your suggestion, but wouldn't the calendar pop away once you move to another field?

Brad
                Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

wouldn't the calendar pop away once you move to another field?
                  Brad, yes. And it will pop down once the user selects a date. That's the point of a popup calendar, isn't it? Perhaps I misintepreted Mark's question. He wanted a calendar to PopUp when the form opened. He did not say he wanted to embed a calendar control in the form that would be open all the time. If that's what you and he are looking for perhaps Calendar & Toolbox Addin (available in the Alpha Software online store, under "Add ons" category), would better serve your needs.

-- tom

Comment

Yep, that's what he asked.
                    I'm just thinking of my post, and not what he wrote.
                    Thanks for all you help.
                    Brad
                    Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

You might try Dr Wanye's Floating Calendar aex

It is shareware and if it is used, it should be purchased

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Old style calendar columns don't line up.

As they say, when in doubt, read the documentation. The reason my calendar columns don't line up is that I changed the default font to a larger one, but left my style preference for the calendar at none. I checked the documentation, and by golly, there was the explanation.

-- Dick James

Comment

Working...
                        X