Alpha Video Training

Thread: Newbie questions

Real Name
    Randy Farber

Default Newbie questions

1) What does it mean when I am trying to access one of my forms, to enter data, but it won't let me enter anything. The error message is: "Cannot build/open post rule index". Would my changing the table structure cause that? If so, would recreating the form fix the problem?

2) Why does the Word Mail Merge function hang up with the same table(s) that I am using with the above problem? Would the other problem cause this one too?

What should I do?

"Certified" Alphaholic Scott Emerick's Avatar
    Real Name
    Scott Emerick

Randy,

Not know exactly what table structure change you made I can't be 100%, but I think your on the right track. If you had data in the table and then changed the field type I would see that causing a problem.

If you remember what changes you made, go back and change them back and see if the problem goes away. Or if you don't have any critical data in the table, empty it and pack it.

Scott

Real Name
    Randy Farber

The changes that I had made, before I had entered any data into the table, were to add several fields, and change the RTF memo fields to plain memo fields (after I found out I can't merge RTF memo fields into a Word document).

I had already created the form for that table, before making the changes though.

Should I try to delete the form, and create a new one? I can do that, but it would take some effort.

Right now, the form, or table, won't accept any data.

Real Name
    Ray Roosa

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Farber
    The changes that I had made, before I had entered any data into the table, were to add several fields, and change the RTF memo fields to plain memo fields (after I found out I can't merge RTF memo fields into a Word document).

I had already created the form for that table, before making the changes though.

Should I try to delete the form, and create a new one? I can do that, but it would take some effort.

Right now, the form, or table, won't accept any data.
    Randy,

What you can do is backup your database then delete the form and create
    a new default form to see if you trouble disappears.

I have found it’s not a good idea to change field names or field types once you either have data
    in your table or you have created forms already because these changes may not carry over to your forms, in this case you have to go in and manual go to each field property and make the same changes on your forms.

Get into the habit of getting your table structure correct before you spend countless hours designing your forms.

Ray
    Last edited by Rayr; 01-24-2006 at 03:20 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Ray Roosa
    Raylin Micro, LLC.

Real Name
    Randy Farber

I deleted all the forms, and am ready to start over. I'll use the default forms and go from there.

I made several little changes to the database structure itself, and now I can get the mail merge function to work, albeit limited for what I need.

But I still get an error when trying to access the database. It will save records, but not sure what the error is about. It says:

Cannot post to table JOB DETAILS. Post rule is not valid.

Any ideas what might help out with that?

Also, I have figured out how to make the Word Mail Merge function work, with manual effort. I need to put a button on my form so that I can just click the button and have it automatically do a mail merge, ready to print.

Is there anyway for a newbie like myself to do that?

I've been trying to get that Mail Merge button thing going for many, many hours.