Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha4v6 and XP Pro

Real Name
    Douglas Menkel

Default Alpha4v6 and XP Pro

Until a couple of weeks ago, when my computer crashed, I had no problems running Alpha4v6 on my computer running XP Home. Now with my new computer running XP Pro when the program starts I only get the program in about half a screen. The program runs fine but I would like to get it to fill the screen. I have tried all the settings that I can think of and even did several complete reloads from disk with no luck. Could really use some help on this problem.

Thanks

PS

I forgot to mention that the program fills the screen horizontially but not vertically.
    If I upgrade to 4v8 will this correct the problem and will v8 be able to read all the work I've done in v6?
    Last edited by dmenkel; 01-24-2006 at 12:54 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default A4V6 and XP Pro

[ALT]-[ENTER] will toggle back-and-forth between the DOS window and full screen.

FYI, I recently ran into a problem where all of a sudden neither A4V6, V7 or V8 would open. I had to upgrade to Win XP Pro SP2 to resolve that issue. Keep that thought in tyhe back of your mind - just in case.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Real Name
    Douglas Menkel

Thanks for the ideas but I have the latest updates for XP and the alt/enter does not enlarge the dos window.

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default A4V6 & Win XP Pro SP2

Strange,

My laptop is running SP2 and the [ALT]-[ENTER] toggle works for me. Are you holding down the ALT key while you tap the ENTER key?

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Real Name
    Douglas Menkel

Yes, but all it does is shift from the dos screen to the windows screen thereby making the dos screen even smaller. As I said the dos screen is full horizontially but not vertically. Even on a clean install this does not change the size of the dos screen. I had this same problem several years ago when I first installed A4v6 but I can't remember what I did to correct it.

My other dos programs work correctly and fill the screen so I think that it is a setting that I am missing to get A4 to work correctly.
    Last edited by dmenkel; 01-24-2006 at 04:18 PM.

Real Name
    TJ Baker

I'm not clear on whether or not you want to run in a large window or full screen but have a look at this...While Alpha is open, in a window, click on the the top left of the window and select 'properties'. From there have a look at options to run as a window or full screen. If running in a window try selecting some different fonts, again in the properties window. I generally run in a window, using raster fonts sized at 10 x 18. When you exit the properties sheet you should have the option to save the settings for future use or for the current session only. If you like the settings you've got then save for future windows (with same title). There are usually more options on the properties sheet of the shortcut, icon or batch file you start Alpha from.

TJ Baker

Quote Originally Posted by dmenkel
    Yes, but all it does is shift from the dos screen to the windows screen thereby making the dos screen even smaller. As I said the dos screen is full horizontially but not vertically. Even on a clean install this does not change the size of the dos screen. I had this same problem several years ago when I first installed A4v6 but I can't remember what I did to correct it.

My other dos programs work correctly and fill the screen so I think that it is a setting that I am missing to get A4 to work correctly.

Real Name
    Steve Pick

I can't remember what I did but had same problems at work and then I did something and it was working..bingo!

At home my XP home edition starts OK, or nearly OK, but the screen settings go to 640 x 480.
    I then have to change the screen settings back to 1024 x 768 to be able to see things and
    A4 is taking a 1/4 of screen but ALT enter brings it to full screen.

Maybe I need to take my lap top in and see what the differences are in the settings.

Steve

Real Name
    Douglas Menkel

What I want to do is run full screen. As it stands now A4 is the top half of the screen and the bottom of the screen is black. Nothing can be done in the black part. When I hit the alt/enter keys the dos window shrinks so that I can see the desktop but the black bottom is still on the dos screen. I have tried your suggestions to no avail.

Real Name
    Steve Pick

Yes, I understand, and I have A4 V6 running in Full screen mode on both XP Pro and Home.

However, as I said, after clicking the A4 icon at home the screen settings go all to pot until I go to the desktop and restore things. After restoration A4 is NOT full screen BUT with ALT ENTER it goes to full screen from a quarter screen. I did have the half screen, that you are talking about at work, before it is, as I say below.

At work, on XP PRO, I click on the A4 Icon and it brings up FULL SCREEN immediately, BUT I WAS SEVERAL MONTHS in the same boat as you, BUT I AM NOT SURE how I got to where I am today.

When I take the lap top to work next I will try and compare the settings for both ICONS to see if I can see any differences.

Steve

Real Name
    Douglas Menkel

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions to help solve my problem. I found an answer by going back to a message from 10/21/2002 from Billy Bee. It worked on my machine, HOOOOOOOORAY!

Real Name
    Kurt von Maucher

Default Alpha problem on XP

Most of the information that you need in on a Microsoft web page believe it or not! Go to http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324767. Do as instructed on that page (print it out for your ease of use).
    It is easier to use cmd under run on menu than to use Notepad to edit the config.nt and autoexec.nt files. Just open them up, save them as config.nt1 and autoexec.nt1,then change them as instructed and save as config.nt and autoexec.nt.

In addition you have to change the following:

In config.nt in System32 folder - - - - files=50-100 - - - not 40 as displayed.

On the desktop icon, right click, Advanced tab on Program tab, check on "Compatible timer hardware emulation" box.

In Font tab make sure to set font to one that you can read. The displayed font in the sample box is about 2/3 the actual size you will see.

Memory tab, Conventional memory set to 520 and check protected box. Initial envirenment set to 1024.
    Expanded memory set to 1024. Extended memory set to 1024.

Screen to Full Screen or window. Size of window will differ depending on your screen resolution.

Compatability tab, set for Windows 98/ME compatability.

You also have to go into the Windows\System32 folder, right click on "Command.exe" and repeat the above on the properties menu.

This will eliminate the file handle error as well as the LAN error message that you get when using Alpha 4 Version 3 on Windows XP operating system. Have many mailing lists that I have done for years, 65 to 7900 records. Took me almost 10 hours to get this solution. Hope it helps many frustrated people.