Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report Export as Plain Text File v6 to v7 Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report Export as Plain Text File v6 to v7 Changes

Good day.

I have a report that is used to generate a plain text file that is suitable for direct import into either Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel.

Since the upgrade to Alpha 5 v7, I am encountering a problem with the output format: it is no longer tab-delimited.

The report is optimized for export and has been stripped of headers, footers, and anything else extraneous. I am only concerned with the detail record on each line of the report.

The report is more useful than a direct export of the table, since the report includes a variety of calculated fields that are not stored in the underlying table.

I use a simple snippet of XBasic code to perform the function:

query.filter = ""
    query.order = ""
    :Report.saveas("XReport","TEXT",query.filter,query.order ,"C:\XDirectory\XReport.txt",.t.)

When performed in v6, the output file XReport.txt contains tab-delimited data from XReport.

When the same code is used in v7, the output file XReport.txt contains space-padded data from XReport. The result is not fixed-width but highly variable from line to line.

The space-padded file is unusable in either Excel or Access.

When I run the XBasic code, I notice that under v7 the XReport.txt is sent to Alpha Five Printer, whereas under v6 XReport.txt is sent to Text Driver.

One further test confirmed that the v7 Alpha Five Printer is the source of the changed output results.

I re-installed v6 on the same PC with V7, and then manually printed XReport to v6 Text Driver printer from within V7.

The XReport.txt was tab-delimited.

How can I restore the capability to export a report to a tab-delimited Text File under v7 and without maintaining a v6 install?

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions.

John Cupak, Jr.

Pending a more elegant idea, might it be possible to put the entire "detail" line in a single calculated field, storing the field values as character strings, and embedding the tabs chr(9) between them?

-- tom

Comment

I recently upgraded to version 7 from version 6 & I have experienced the exact problem that John Cupak had posted. I also used a simple xbasic code to perform the report output function:

:Report.SaveAs("export","TXT",query.filter,query.order,"c:\Export Files",.F.)

In v6 when the Xbasic code is run the export.txt file is sent to Text Driver, in v7 it is sent to Alpha Five Printer. I have found that the output in v7 is variable on each line, unlike v6 the output was tab-delimited.

I called Alpha tech support, but they did not have any answers because they were unfamiliar with the "Alpha Five Printer" driver which was developed by Amyuni Technologies. I called Amyuni Technologies & they indicated to me that they never heard of Alpha Five and could not provide a solution because the output is controlled by the Alpha Five software itself.

I will revert back to version 6 until I am able to solve the problem. Perhaps someone has a solution.

Comment

This thread explains how to use the V6 PDF driver from V7. The same technique may also work to use the V6 text driver, as they are both part of the Amyuni software that is licensed and bundled as part of Alpha Five.

Lenny Forziati
        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thanks Lenny, it worked!

I have one small issue left to resolve. In v6 the xbasic code that I have to save the report worked properly. The name of the file is to contain the project name and have the current date & it is to be saved in a designated folder. It is saved in the correct folder, but it uses an old file name which was originally used some time ago. What do I need to do with my code so that it gets the current project name and date? The code used is as follows:

'
          filter = " (Check_date = [varD->prms.Parameter1] )"
          get_parameters_string = <<%string%
          Parameter1|Enter Check Date|Date|calendar||
          %string%
          ok_label = "&OK"
          cancel_label = "&Cancel"
          dialog_title = "Parameters"

'Prompt for parameter values. Store results in a 'dot' variable called 'prms'
          dim prms as p
          prms = ui_get_parameters(dialog_title,get_parameters_string,ok_label,cancel_label)

if prms.last_button_pressed = "OK" then
          'Replace parameters in the filter with actual values
          query.filter = replace_parameters(filter,local_variables())

query.order = ""
          else
          end
          end if

:Report.SaveAs("export file","TXT",query.filter,query.order,"c:\Export File Folder"+chr(92)+trim(Project_detail->Project_name)+" created on "+format_data(date(),"9-"),.F.)

Comment

Working...
          X