Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Charging monthly subscription for app - issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging monthly subscription for app - issues?

Does anyone out there have any experience with charging a monthly subscription for an application?

I can build time-limited registrations so I'm not concerned about that.

What I am concerned about are those things that someone who has never done it might not even think about. In other words, I don't know if there is anything to be concerned about but I've learned that doing something completely new often has its hidden issues.

- Perhaps problems arising from people who say they've paid but you don't have any record of it?
    - Maybe people who want to pay ahead rather than monthly?
    - Maybe a myriad of other issues?

One thing I need to keep in mind - if a client can't use the application any more, they will basically be out of business until they get all the data converted to something else. In other words, I will have to be careful about "unregistering" someone by mistake.

You might also want to consider protecting your application from someone changing their system clock to get around an expired subscription.

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Hi Cal,

I have some experience with subscriptions and find it works quite well. I time out the app every 4 months. They get a count down of days to expiration when they log in within 2 weeks of the expiration date.

My intent, is to collect $$ and to have a conversation with them about how thing are working? I then give them a password that gives them another 4 months (or 2 weeks of the "chec is in the mail"), or converts the subscription to a license/purchase. Most convert to a purchase.

As more of us are developing applications and distribution methods, maybe we should submit a request for a topic at the upcoming ALPHA conference.

Tom

Comment

Have you had many problems with "checks in the mail" that don't show up?

I'm considering NOT offering a purchase any more. Or, if I do offer a purchase price, it would be about 50% higher than the current price which was a low, introductory price to start with. I'm planning a subscription price that is 1/30th of the "purchase price" plus a small amount for maintenance so they don't have to pay my hourly rate unless they ask for some major work.

I'm really curious if anyone has seen any guidelines on setting subscription rates?

The 1/30 number mentioned above (i.e, the full price would have been "paid off" in 2.5 years) is somewhat arbitrary but based on the idea that some clients will quit or go out of business before then so I can't reduce the price too much based on the assumtion that they will all be around 10 years from now - because many probably won't.

I'm also looking at the fact that my application should save a minimum of one full day per month for virtually any client and could easily save up to 3 days a month depending on how automated the client was to start with. If I assume a $15/hr employee (most customers are husband and wife teams so this is probably low), one 8 hour day would be $120 so I don't think it would be unreasonable to charge something in the $75 range. Not only will they save time but they will also be giving their clients better service even while spending less time doing it.

Thinking about the level of automation, I thought some of you might appreciate this: My first client was so automated that they usually only handwrote 5 3x5 cards for every order their clients placed and these were either handed out to installers or kept in card files for future reference - one file by date and the other by address. Building invoices at the end of the month was a matter of pulling them from the Date file and hand building up to 400 invoices; many of which involved multiple 3x5 cards. (They averaged about 80-100 individual orders per day.) Then they had to be re-filed so they would gradually migrate to the front of the file when the expiration date came around. Now, imagine that someone cancels before the expiration date and you have to find both the address card and the expiration date card so you don't end up calling them on the expiration date again. Sounds like fun, yes!?

In the middle of writing the above, I found this link to an interesting Inc. Magazine article on setting prices: http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050601/pricing.html
        Last edited by CALocklin; 01-28-2006, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X