Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha5 "for non-programmers". That's BS!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also think one should differentiate between working with A5 versus working with relational databases. If you don't understand the fundamentals of relational databases, then action scripting is not going to be very helpful.

I DO agree that the "no programming required" is not a valid claim. Action scripting is programming and you need action scripting, at least, to make A5 work.

I remember one database program (I think is was called Samba) that asked a series of questions, then wrote the application for you. It was very limited, of course. ... but that was a database development tool that did not require programming.

A better claim would be "menu-based" programming as well as the traditional "code-based" programming.

BTW, I would get Dr. Wayne's books if you plan on using A5 at all. His new "XBASIC for Everyone" should be required reading for newbies who want to program. I can't remember the title of his other one "Alpha 5 for Everyone"?. But I do remember it guides through making a checkbook register application and is a good place to start with A5.
    Mark Campidonica

Comment

The name of the book is "Application Programming in Alpha Five, Version 5". I don't know if it is still available (it's not listed on the Alpha Web site for sale), but I found it helpful.
      Mark Campidonica

Comment

I am a non-programmer that knows very little about xbasic and the documentation is a little vague. I would like to see more samples. I purchased Dr. Waynes book and found a lot of great information. Prior to this I was able to get A5 to work for the most part for just about everything I wanted it to do. When I had a problem it was mostly user error. I did not have something connected the way A5 wanted to see it, but the way I thought logical. Once I figured this out I was good to go. The tech support on the help site has always been very helpful. You just need to have some patients.

Comment

Felt like I was re-reading one of my early posts. I am a hard core non programmer and knew nothing of database design. Jumped and and was frustrated like someone going from basic arithmetic to advanced algebra in one jump. Man. I know more now. While A5 doesn't require programming as such, simply learning the necessary access points to be able to drill down through the controls was a challenge. And I still have trouble wrapping my brain around how tables are arranged in sets properly. At one point I even thought I'd try Access. Felt even dumber. Then I thought I'd try FileMaker Pro. Could not even find reference to, let alone figure out how to set up a logical field. Man. All of a sudden A5 looked a little better. I have needed a lot of help on many things - and usually it has been very available and sometimes I even understand why what has been done has been done and sometimes even how. But it isn't something that rewards just diving in and fighting your way through. Or trying to learn in 15 minutes a day. As for writing scripts...that will never happen with me. I know it is limiting, but I know my limits as well. And the time and focus just aren't there anymore - if they ever were. That said, what little I do know and have learned about Alpha convinces me that it is a very complex tool and that explaining it requires a lot of time and interaction with the program - and people who know how to use it. ...which a lot of us aren't prepared for because most productivity programs are much simpler to learn and use in a basic sense. But once you get an application where you want it, Alpha is a great productivity enhancement tool. Unless your data handling need is quite extensive, you might be able to do what you need done with a spreadsheet and save yourself some time and aggravation.

Comment

Alpha for none programmers.

I have used Alpha for about 2 years and although I have had problems I must say I do not program, I am actually dyslexic and find it so hard to look at lots of coding. I do think it would give you a lot more flexibility if you can but I do not think it is essential.
            Although I have struggled at times I have eventually managed to do most things I have needed.

If I were to quibble about anything it wolud be the help available the documentation can be a little hard to understand if you are a none programmer and if you are saying it is for none programmers maybe the help available should reflect this. "eg explaining syntaxis if you are using Action Scripting"

On the other side I must say that most of the time I do get the answers to my questions from this site.

It would be nice if the docs were better as being dyslexic I struggle to put down questions I would like answering to post to the site.

Over all I think that Alpha is a great package and the users on this site are fantastic.

Keep up the good work all of you and thanks for helping me even if you have not known you have.

Aidy

Comment

Can you be more specific about what you need from the documentation?

Comment

Alpha for none programers.

I have got to say Edward that has to be the fastest response to a post I have seen.

The point I was trying to make is that although the documentation has a vast amount of information in it, it can be hard to understand at times if you are not a programmer.

It tends to be either too basic and simplistic, which if you are new can be very benreficial or too indepth, there is not anough middle ground.

I personally do not do too badly now, but I relally have struggled at times to understand some things that are being said.

I have worked in the computing industry for a number of years and it can be very difficult getting people who can program to explain it to the novice in such a way that thay do understand.

The main problem I have come across has been when I am trying to build an expression within expression builder, lets say you go to function, You then get your list of functions and as you move down the list a good explanation of what each one does, So far so good. The problem i have found (maybe im not too bright) but when you then come to choose the one you want the explanation of the sintax can sometimes mean nothing to you if you are new.

Lets say count, in the list it says "count(a subexpr[,g over[,g each])"
                If you are new what does that mean? What is "a subexpr", what dos "["mean? What is "g over"? etc.

Maybe if you had a bit of a simplistic explanation in the documentation people would grasp it a lot easier. Although they know what count does thay cant always get it to work.

Im not too sure I am making myself clear and I am now over a lot of the problems I am trying to explain but I do remember what it was like and sometimes still is.

But I must say I still use Alpha over its counter parts and it still works for me most of the time.

Hope you can understand what I am trying to say and keep on improving the product.

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Aidy

Comment

Unfair. You picked the most difficult function in the list!

Comment

My 2 cents

A5 documentation? The only thing I don't like is information like:

For internal use only.

For the rest two thumbs up !! :D
                    Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                    ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Ed - I agree with needing some better documentation. The examples on some of the functions are either so simple that it does not solve anything, but maybe helps in the definition of the function or dives right in on xbasic code which usually runs about a page. All the extra code creates a whole new line of research to learn about other functions. I found that the example database "Alpha Sports" helps a lot but, is also time consuming searching for an area that uses the function that you are looking for.

I still like the program and am still learning everyday. Most of the time if I can't figure out my problem someone on this site can help or approach the problem a different way.

Comment

Hey, I'm still trying figure out what "dim" means and why I need it so often???

Comment

DIM creates a variable and tells Alpha Five what type it is, what its default value (if any) is, and what its scope is.

Comment

I think questions for reading the documentation (in this case) would be:

What does type of variable mean

What is the default value or any other value

What is a scope

Chris
                            If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

It's time for you to hit the books. Check out DIM and Variable Data Types and Scope.

Comment

Referring to the reference recently referred:
                                "U V5 Collection Any type of data, depending on what the collection contains."

Uh, is a definition supposed to use the word being defined to define the defined word? And just where are those darned WMD's? It's work, hard work!

:)
                                Richard

Comment

Working...
                                X