Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Syntax highlighting file for UltraEdit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syntax highlighting file for UltraEdit

Here is a file to use as an Alpha Five Xbasic syntax highlighter with the text editor UltraEdit. It required UltraEdit version 11 or later.

The file is zipped in plain text format. It is ready to copy and append to the existing 'wordfile.txt' file in your UltraEdit program directory, e.g. C:\Program files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit-32

Make a backup copy of your existing wordfile before adding the attached syntax to it.

From memory UltraEdit allows up to 20 syntax highlighting definitions in the wordfile. The A5 Xbasic highlighting definition supplied here is numbered 15 (it's the /L15 statement in the first record of the attached file). You can change the 15 to any number you like between 1 and 20 just so long as your choice does not conflict with the number for any other syntax highlighting definition already in the wordfile.

Just a warning. The supplied syntax works exceptionally well (IMHO) but it is far from perfect. Some syntax highlighting features in A5 are just not supported in 3rd party offerings. I use UltraEdit as an external text editor a lot to augment the A5 Xbasic editor. It has many features (e.g. code folding, split windows and reliable scrolling just to mention a few) not supported by the A5 Xbasic editor. If you write a lot of Xbasic code and you use UltraEdit v 11 then this may be helpful. It certainly beats looking at black text on a white background all day.

To enable the syntax highlighting, copy the supplied syntax and append it to your UltraEdit wordfile.txt file as described above. Then close and reopen UltraEdit (it reads the wordfile automatically at start up). Then all you need do is save your Xbasic syntax in UltraEdit with the extension .axb and the syntax highlighting will be automatically invoked. Alternatively just go the the View menu in UltraEdit, select the "View as" second menu item and then select "Alpha Five Xbasic" which will now be visible as an option if you have installed the supplied syntax correctly.

I am sure there will be others keen to have a go at improving my syntax highlighting file. Please feel free to do so and let us see the result here.

I have attached a sample of the Xbasic syntax highlighting available with the above word file for use with UltraEdit. Plenty of code wrapping examples here.

Comment

Here is an update to my earlier syntax files for A5 Xbasic and use with UltraEdit from version 11. The attached zip file contains significant improvements to the previous version above, including:

- 'wordfile.txt' syntax highlighting specs now highlight A5 function names correctly,

- 'taglist.txt' Ctags file allows you to add functions to your Xbasic code just by double clicking on a function name in the UltraEdit CTags list box.

I have attached a screen shot so you can see some of these features in action.

This update includes A5 function names but not yet A5 methods as I don't know of a way I can quickly compile a list of all A5 methods.

The two supplied text files can be copied into your UltraEdit program folder - but ensure you backup first the two files of the same name already there.

You should refer to your UltraEdit documentation for installation and use of custom syntax highlighting and CTag files as the process is too lengthy to describe here.

Comment

Re: Syntax highlighting file for UltraEdit

I cant wait to try this out. UltraEdit is a very feature rich and stable editor, whilst the xbasic editor and I are not friends yet.

George

Comment

Here's an update to my syntax files for use with UltraEdit. The attached zip file is an Alpha5 application which can be run to automatically generate the WORDFILE.TXT and TAGLIST.TXT files used by UltraEdit.

These text files allow XBasic code in UltraEdit to be shown with both code folding and syntax highlighting enabled once the 'View/ View as.../ Alpha5 Xbasic' menu is selected or the file is opened or saved with a file extension of .AXB (Alpha5 XBasic) provided that, in the latter case, the UltraEdit menu option 'Advanced/Configuration/File Types' has been set up (it only needs to be done once).

The instructions to install the syntax files are as follows:

1. Download and extract the supplied A5 application in the attached zip file to any convenient folder.

2. Locate in that folder the file 'UltraEdit Syntax.adb' and double click on it to run the A5 application.

3. Follow the instructions on the displayed dialog box.

The two syntax files (as above) are placed in the 'working' directory immediately below one created in step 1. They now need to be copied to the either the UltraEdit program folder or another folder, depending on what version of UltraEdit you have. This link tells how to work out which folder it is:

http://www.ultraedit.com/forums/view...php?f=9&t=5720

The other thing that will need to be done if you have version 14 or later of UltraEdit is change the two file names to WORDFILE.UEW and TAGLIST.UET, respectively. The above link contains more information about this.

For suggestions and improvements etc, just let me know.

NOTES:
          ------
          (i) The supplied A5 application should work with any version of A5 from 6 up.

(ii) The syntax files generated include all the language support and syntax distributed in the standard syntax templates with UltraEdit version 14.

(iii) The Alpha Five syntax generated by the supplied A5 application will be specific to the version of Alpha Five that you are using - e.g. version 6, 7, 8 or 9... So if you subsequently upgrade to a later version of A5 you may want to run the 'UltraEdit Syntax.adb' application again and copy the resulting syntax files to the appropriate UltraEdit folder.

(iv) If you have already made changes to your existing UltraEdit WORDFILE and TAGLIST files, you will need to re-apply these same changes to the new files generated here.

Comment

Wow, thanks Brett.

George

Comment

Attached is the latest upgrade to my Alpha5 syntax highlighting files for use with UltraEdit/UltraStudio. This is a very substantial update and improvement to the previous releases presented here. The attached zip file contains the following three files:

WORDLIST.UEW
              TAGLIST.UET
              User guide in PDF format

There is a full set of usage and installation instructions contained in the user guide. Please let me know suggestions, improvements etc.

Comment

Here is the latest update to my Alpha Five syntax files for use with UltraEdit/UltraStudio. The changes include update of function names for A5 version 9 together with a number of minor updates and corrections. The included documentation PDF has been revised and updated as well.

Comment

Thanks Brett

Comment

Attached is the latest upgrade, version 2, to my Alpha5 syntax highlighting files for use with UltraEdit/ UltraStudio. Changes and improvements:

� �Exit While� syntax now works correctly (code folding and indentation)
                    � more function and method names added to the A5 tags
                    � several miscellaneous tweaks and improvements
                    � interface with PGPre pre-compiler (separately available on the Alpha5 Code Archive Forum, coming soon) to allow / UltraStudio to compile and run Alpha5 Xbasic code.

Comment

Brett, tell us more about the PGP?

Kind regards
                      George

Comment

Basically its a pre-processor and compiler for Alpha5 that allows practically any 3rd party text editor or developer environment to interface with Alpha5 to compile and optionally run Xbasic global scripts and functions. At the moment I have it successfully running with UltraEdit/ UltraStudio and Notepad++.

I imagine PGPre will particularly appeal to developers coming to Alpha5 from other products - they can continue to work in the development environment they are accustomed to and don't need to sacrifice features such as code folding and split windows when working on their code. But anyone who just likes a fully featured development environment to work in will enjoy PGPre too.

I have just finished writing the documentation - it's available for download as a PDF file from here. The software is maybe a few days off. I'm on a roll. ;)

Comment

Any news on PGP Brett.

Regards
                          George

Comment

Here is an update to my Alpha5 syntax files for use with UltraEdit that cure a problem with code folding and the "Exit For" statement.

The attached zip file includes full copies of the WORDFILE.EUW, TAGLIST.UET and documentation PDF files. These files replace those previously issued. Installation instructions for both new and existing users are contained in the documentation.

Comment

Working...
                            X