Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to force a + or - value in a field based on another using browse entry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to force a + or - value in a field based on another using browse entry?

I've got a browse in which one field is filled in as either a positive numeric value or a negative numeric value based on the value of another field in the same table.

Here's the scenario: I have paycodes being entered into a field, followed by a category code (numeric). If the paycode is assigned to a category code 100 or greater, it will be considered as a DEDUCTION, and thus the default amount can only be entered as a negative. If the code is from 1 - 99, it must only be a positive.

I can't figure out how to do this with the field validation rule... any suggestions? Thanks.

The possible solution that comes to mind is some nested if statements. So it would be something like this (this is pseudo code):
    Code:
    IF catagory_code > 99 Then
        'If we get here then we have a code that is 100 or greater
        IF pay_code < 0 Then
              'We have a negative value like we want, we return true
             .T.
        Else
              'We have a positive value, so we have a problem, return false
              .F.
        End If
    Else
        'If we get here then we have a code that is less than 100
        IF pay_code < 0 Then
              'We have a negative value so its a problem
             .F.
        Else
              'We have a positive value, and that is what we want
              .T.
        End If
    End If
    The above code will not work in the field rules because you cant use the IF..Then statements. So you have to use the if() function.

if( condition_to_check, What_to_do_if_True, What_to_do_if_False)
    Just check the help file on the function if().

I hope this in some way helps with your problem but I am not sure if it does. You could nest these if() functions and it *might* work.

Good Luck,
    Mike
    Last edited by mbmonk; 03-03-2006, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Hi Mike, and thanks for the efforts!

As a so-called "newbie", I'm not completely following it, although I understand if - then's and don't have a problem with that in general. I guess my question would be: how do I use this code for the value field, when I'm using a browse to enter the data? I want the user to see the table of all the codes as they enter, rather than seeing just the one new record that a form would provide. If you have any other insights, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

Comment

Are you trying to just validate what the user enters? And where are you trying to enter the code to validate it? In the field rules for the table?

If possible you might want to attach the browse/form your talking about along with the table. Or maybe a screenshot so I can get an idea of what your talking about.

I am just a little slow and confused :),
        Mike
        Last edited by mbmonk; 03-03-2006, 03:45 PM.

Comment

More detailed explanation

Ok,

I'm working on a system that will collect payroll information each period. The generated reports will be used to report payroll to Paychex.

There is a table setup for each employee, that has a number of paycodes -- these codes define different types of "jobs" each employee does, and assigns a rate per hour for each of these tasks. A Table of codes is defined before the employee is setup, which contains the paycodes and their default rates. When the paycodes are setup for each employee (paycodes assigned will vary from employee to employee), they can accept the default or be overriden with another amount. The pay codes are grouped into a range of categories. One category is "deductions"... paycodes that will DEDUCT from their pay.

I want to force the entry to only negative amounts for those paycodes that fall within that range....

I hope this explains better what I'm tryint to do... thanks! (BTW -- it's not imperative... I'm just trying to build in as much error trapping as possible!)

I've attached a zip of the screen shot (couldn't get it under 100K)
          Last edited by smrogers; 03-22-2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

why does a negative number need to be entered?

This may be totally off base, but is it really necessary for the data entry person to enter a negative number for the deductions? Wouldn't it be easier to have the data entered all as positive numbers and use the pay codes to determine if the field value should be added or deducted from the gross pay to result in the net pay value?

If you are looking for a visible for the users entering the data, you can always color the field say 'red' if the pay code is for a deduction. But technically, the data entry person should not really care if it is positive or negative. Just my two cents :)

Thanks
            Cheryl
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
            http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Shawn,

Just a few questions for you.

I assume your employee info form is built on a set, correct?

Is the browse that your trying to do this in the one you show in your pic that is on the "Paycodes" Tab?

If the above answer is yes.
              a) Do you also store the category number in the child table or just the paycode?
              b) I assume Paycode is a lookup that fills Description and Rate/Hr., correct?

Once I have these answers I can show you code that will work or get you real close.

If you want to tackle it yourself then what you want is to write your code in the field rules->field events->OnWroteField event.

Scott

Comment

Hi,

The paycode lookup has the description and rate/hr, however the rate/hr is only a default; there is also a field in a table for each employee, linked by emp #, that stores the actual rate/hr (some are paid differently). The Category number is NOT stored in the employee record, it is just a lookup.

Hope that answers your question, thanks for the interest!

Comment

Hi,

No, your not off base -- they certainly CAN enter a positive number, I just don't know how to handle it in reports, etc.... as I said, I'm fairly new to this. I would need to reference the catagory range, and if the paycode fell within the range dedicated to deductions, it would deduct it instead -- I think that would be a more elegant way of doing it, but it just may come down to this being an "enhancement" down the line.... I need to have this done in a month or so, including menus, reports, etc.... so some of the error trapping may have to be put on hold for the moment (the client is OK with this). BUT... any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks agian.

Comment

Shawn,

I can understand the default vs. actual based on an employee. If thats the case then shouldn't the lookup populate the Rate/Hr. field not only as a positive or negative, but also the actual rate for that employee? And then still allow a override value placed in that field?

It might be best if you can send me your application, or a stripped down version of it with enough data for me to play with. I can then make it work as you wish and show you how I did it. Thats your call.

Scott

Comment

The lookup DOES populate the rate/hr field now. Here's a little more info:

I do NOT yet have the actual paycard part of the app designed yet (the part where they will enter in weekly payroll for each employee). I'm only in the employee setup phase. When the employee is being setup, one of the things they do is setup the APPLICABLE pay codes for that employee (there can be many paycodes, but not ALL are applicable to each employee -- you just pick and choose those paycodes that are necessary for each employee).

The deductions will generally be for things that may be "purchased" from the club, and deducted from their pay - therefore, there is no fixed amount set when the employee info is being setup -- the code is just entered with "0" for a default, since the actual deducted amount will be entered during the paycard entry. An example would be if they "bought" a sweatshirt -- it would be deducted from the gross pay that this app computes. I'm still working on the logistics in my head on that -- normally, the computation will be # hours worked (for each paycode type) multiplied by the rate. For some items (such as the deductions, or one time bonuses like Christmas) I want them to be able to just plug in an amount for that paycode, and be done with it... as I said, I'm new to Alpha so I may have to change things as I go along and learn more

I've attached the app for your perusal -- have at it, as they say! Thanks again for your interest and help.

BTW - password for anything that requires it is "change"
                      Last edited by smrogers; 03-22-2006, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Here you go

Shawn,

See if this is what you were looking for.

If the category code is 100 or greater the value is negative.

This happens on both your forms now. When you set up a paycode and when you edit it on the employee info form.

Scott

Comment

Scott,

That's great -- I appreciate your help. Haven't gotten to the "events" tab in the book yet... guess it's worth a look!

I'm assuming the calculation made on the "events" tab will happen any time the field is written to (changes, etc). Also, curious about the "this.value" variable -- I ordered the new XBasic book, but have little experience with it (Xbasic) so far. Is the "this.value" variable a system variable that is used to define the value of the current field? And, instead of "this.value = this.value - (this.value*2)", could you also use "this.value = this.value * -1" ?

Will you be going to that seminar in June? It's about 20 min from where I work and am considering it... think it would be worth while for a newbie?

Thanks again!
                          Last edited by smrogers; 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Also, curious about the "this.value" variable
                            Check out the Help File
                            instead of "this.value = this.value - (this.value*2)", could you also use "this.value = this.value * -1" ?
                            Yes, I don't know what I was thinking ... lol
                            Will you be going to that seminar in June? It's about 20 min from where I work and am considering it... think it would be worth while for a newbie?
                            I will be there and you should go. It's worth it and you get to meet all of the names on the board and even have some fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X