Alpha Video Training

Thread: Record write problem A4v6 and Windows XP

Real Name
    Mike Walsh

Default Record write problem A4v6 and Windows XP

I have a 10 year old A4V6 system ( about 25 computes on the network) using the "runtime" version that has been working fine with previous versions of Windows.

I am in the process of changing some of the older and slower machines with new ones. Of course everything now comes with XP. All the features of Alpha work Ok with XP with one major exception, we cannot save new records. Existing records can be screened, printed even changed, but when trying to save new ones, Alpha either shuts down or crashes and the computer returns to the Windows screen.

I have several licenses for the full version ( not enough for the entire system) and the full version does not experience the same problem. It will save new records without a problem.

Are there settings in "runtime" that need to be changed or settings in XP that can be changed?. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by monkmike; 03-02-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Real Name
    David Pawley

Mike, please see this thread, I think you are in for problems with v6 and XP.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=23194
    Dave

Real Name
    Mike Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by dpawley
    Mike, please see this thread, I think you are in for problems with v6 and XP.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=23194
    Dave

Thanks for the info. I guess I am going to make the move to V7 or V8 (kinda been living in a " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mind set since V7 was introduced). This system is to big and too complex to try an upgrade to Alpha 5. I have the system patched up by using the full version on the new XP machines, guess I just can't make any changes until I upgrade

Mike

Real Name
    Steve Pick

Mike,

At work I have A4V6.2 on an XP looking at the DB's through a 3 terminal network on a W98 machine. I have had no problem adding records that I have noticed, although there is not a heavy usage from the XP.

The only problem is printing from the XP. As I have an old W95 alongside the XP I often enter data on the XP and if I need to print the entry I just open the W95 and print the last entry, or go around to my desk (W98) and print the record from there.

Still plodding on in A4V6

Steve

Real Name
    Mike Walsh

Steve

Are you using a full version of A4v6 or a runtime version on the XP? I now have 4 XP machines on our system ( the balance of about 20 are 98 or ME). Runtime version will not allow new records, the full version will. We are printing without any problems on 3 of the 4 XP machines (as long as they have the full version). I have no clue why the one will not print. It is one of two new computers just installed, they are identical, purchased from the same vendor at the same time, one prints fine, the other won't print at all ( says cannot load printer definition). Makes no sense.

Real Name
    David Pawley

Proceed at your own risk and questionable integrity of your data. I experienced data corruption just as Alpha warned.
    Dave

Real Name
    Steve Pick

Mike,

I intended to mention I was using the full version but I think I got a call to the dinner table and forgot.

Steve