Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Run WAS as service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run WAS as service

I have successfully run the WAS as a service using the Windows program srvany. It does involve some changes in the registry, but once it is done, the service works great. Srvany is included in the Windows Tool kit. You can view the service in the server's computer management/services listing. Microsoft has information on how to to configure the srvany service as well.

Another program is FireDaemon. It costs $35 and has a easy-to-use interface. There is a free 30 day trial too. If you are not a programmer this is the route to go since it is not necessary to configure registry settings.

Steve Wood, have you tried srvany yet?

Comment

I had forwarded the message to my office address to test on Monday. So I'll let you know then.

The number of things that MS has as hidden utilities would save us all lots of money if we only knew about them!
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

OK, real newbie question here. What is the benefit of running WAS as a windows service? IS it just the ability to configure remotely? If so, how is that better than say remote Desktop which I currently use?

Thanks for putting up with these questions. :-)

Oops.. Just read Steves earlier posts. I get it now!

CHuck

Originally posted by MinamiT
        I have successfully run the WAS as a service using the Windows program srvany. It does involve some changes in the registry, but once it is done, the service works great. Srvany is included in the Windows Tool kit. You can view the service in the server's computer management/services listing. Microsoft has information on how to to configure the srvany service as well.

Another program is FireDaemon. It costs $35 and has a easy-to-use interface. There is a free 30 day trial too. If you are not a programmer this is the route to go since it is not necessary to configure registry settings.
        Last edited by Hansolo; 03-13-2006, 12:33 PM.

Comment

I don't see where I posted benefits before, so here's the benefit.

In most companies, you don't allow computers, especially the server, to automatically log in. It waits at the login prompt for a human to come along and log in. An authorized human that is. If you let it log in automatically, then any dope wandering by can play with the server, extract data, wipe out the hard disk, generally screw things up, etc.

But unless WAS runs as a service, you DO have to be logged in for the WAS to fire up. If it runs as a service, you have pre-arranged the security for the WAS and it will, even though you have not logged in, fire up.

So, if your server reboots at midnight Friday, the WAS will be available as soon as power is restored. If its not a service, your clients will have to wait for you to come in on the weekend and log in. That is, unless you let the server log in automatically, which I explained is (normally) not the proper thing to do.

Mission critical programs have to be run as a service so they are minimally off-line.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the post. Everything I have done in network and web databases seems to require so much management at both the user and software level that I have not been able for think in terms of real automation or hands-off functionality if you will. Now as I recall the whole reason for my doing this work was to provide some self sufficiency to many of our data tasks thus freeing me for more innovative pursuits. Oh well, so much for the dream.

CHuck

Originally posted by Steve Wood
            I don't see where I posted benefits before, so here's the benefit.

In most companies, you don't allow computers, especially the server, to automatically log in. It waits at the login prompt for a human to come along and log in. An authorized human that is. If you let it log in automatically, then any dope wandering by can play with the server, extract data, wipe out the hard disk, generally screw things up, etc.

But unless WAS runs as a service, you DO have to be logged in for the WAS to fire up. If it runs as a service, you have pre-arranged the security for the WAS and it will, even though you have not logged in, fire up.

So, if your server reboots at midnight Friday, the WAS will be available as soon as power is restored. If its not a service, your clients will have to wait for you to come in on the weekend and log in. That is, unless you let the server log in automatically, which I explained is (normally) not the proper thing to do.

Mission critical programs have to be run as a service so they are minimally off-line.

Comment

Steve, how did the service feature work?

Comment

I just tried it - and basically I will be here for a while tring to UNDO it. It did not work at all. It seems to run "part of" the WAS, to the point where something is running, and I now cannot really launch Alpha WAS. If I reboot, WAS does not start "automatically", but when I do launch it, the server will not start, complaining that something is already running on the port. So far, I cannot run the routine per the instructions to REMOVE the service, so its screwing things up.

Now, I may have done something wrong. But I am good at following instructions (per my wife). So, I will research.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

srvany

Steve,
                  Do you have screen shots or more information on what is happening? I may be able to help troubleshoot.

Tiffany

Comment

Thanks - I have to admit, I had little time to spare. Having my server down mid week is a problem. So I did not try more than a few times over one hour. I really have to do this again on the weekend where I can be a little more patient.

This information is incomplete, but I saw that on reboot, after installing the service, it did appear as a service, and did show that it was 'started'. But there was no WAS icon in the tray, and know it did not really start. Port 443 was occupied, so it got that far, but the server was not serving A5W pages and did not show in the Task Manager as running.

Now, after this I did a little research and found one reference to the same srvany.exe that said the path to the executable needed to have double backslashes; but the Windows help document contradicted that information. I also know from that research that not all programs can be run as a service; and still others require special parameters.

So, I'll try again on Sunday....Sorry George.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, I hate that this has caused you some further grief than was expected. Thanks for your efforts.

Comment

Check out FireDaemon.

Comment

George - absolutely no problem. I have to go through it because I want to have the feature, its important. And, everytime one goes to the MS help to run some legacy command, there's a 50/50 chance its going to be painful.

I will try retry srvany and then FireDeamon this weekend (thanks Minami).

This does underscore that I have to purchase a new server. I am running WAS on the same server that runs the office. That make's it difficult to find the right time to do any maintenance.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Success - run as service

FireDaemon worked immediately. Configured it to run in just 60 seconds after downloading the trial. Out of the box, once you start Alpha as a service, if you manually exit AlphaWAS, it simply restarts immediately!! There is a setting in the Edit Service Definition /Settings tab to control this.

There is one trick you may have to apply: If your <ADB_Path> alias is a mapped drive, you will have to set that up in the Pre/Post Service tab of the Edit Service Definition. There are good instructions on their forum at:

http://forums.firedaemon.com/viewtop...highlight=path

If anyone wants, I will draw out the instructions and put them on my website.

I will watch it over the next few days to see if their is any problem.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, I would like to get the instructions.
                              I think this is something I need as I'm running my WAS server on GODADDY and my only access is Remote Desktop. If I start the WAS Server, it shuts down as soon as I leave. But I may not understand something, so I'm open for some learning.
                              Thanks,
                              Alan Sawyer

Comment

Working...
                              X