Alpha Video Training

Thread: Is it possible to filter individual records in a report?

"Certified" Alphaholic Rich Hartnett's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Default Is it possible to filter individual records in a report?

I hope I explain this the right way .......

I am creating a police type report based on a set. The recurring information on the report (date, time, location, etc.), comes from a table called "Admin" and works just fine.

Below that section, is a place for all related "persons," and that data comes from a table called (surprisingly enough), "Persons." These "Persons" all fall into different categories, i.e., "Victims & Witnesses," "Suspects," & Arrested,"
    and "Vehicle Owners."

Our reports require the "persons" to be grouped together. For example, all "Victims & Witnesses" are in the one section, the "Suspects & Arrested Persons," go in another section, and "Vehicle Owners" go into a third section.

Thinking I could keep these "persons" types grouped together by using group breaks, I added a field for "Person level," and gave each group a unique number. (Victims & Witnesses, etc. - 1, Suspects & Arrested - 2, Vehicle Owners - 3) I then set the detail properties to break at the change in "Person Level," and that works correctly, but here's the problem ......

The "Suspects & Arrested Persons" section, and the "Vehicle Owners" sections both need to have additional fields from the table showing on the report that are not used in the first section, and I'm trying to figure out how to add these fields to the last two groups, without having them show up all the time.

Each "person" is identified by their order in the report. For example, the first Victim is "V-1," the second is "V-2," etc., and since every person must have a unique identifier, I was wondering if I could do away with the group breaks, and somehow filter the individual records so that only records matching certain indentifiers would show the additional fields. In other words, a Vehicle Owner's ("VO-1") data would show additional fields for the vehicle information (year, make, model, tag no, etc.), but those fields would not show up for let's say, a Victim ("V-1").

Does all this make sense? And does anyone know if it's possible to do?

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

It sounds like you may need to use a conditional object. Place a conditional object on your report, set a condition if victims, then these fields, if vehicles, then these fields, etc.

Good luck
    Cheryl

Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Cheryl I didn't even know about conditional objects - this is great. I think it will do exactly what I want.

Thanks!!

Real Name
    Richard Hartnett

Cheryl, one more thing -

Is it possible to limit the number of records returned within a conditional object?

VAR
    Real Name
    Cheryl Lemire

Default Sorry, I do not know :(

Rich,

Sorry but I do not know the answer to that question :( Hopefully somebody else can confirm one way or the other if you can limit the number of records displayed.

Good luck
    Cheryl

Real Name
    Rich Kerr

Default Report Filtering

Hi Rich....

You could filter the records at runtime, so when it opens, it will prompt you for the required parameters... that is one of the options when you choose the Open Layout report in the Action Scription tool....

You could do it with a custom parameter pop-up, or have it based on a text field on the form from which you launch the report, etc....

Is there something about your process that would prevent you from using a filter for your report?

Rich Kerr