Alpha Video Training

Thread: Need to string fields together for a report

Real Name
    Tony Giangreco

Default Need to string fields together for a report

I'm very new to Alphafive. I just downloaded the 5.7 evaluation to see if I can create a very simple application. If it works for me, I will purchase it today.

I need to create a basic application that allows a user to enter required fields that are part of a police department news release jist like a blotter. After the fields are entered, they should be able to browse all press releases in the table, make changes or corrections to any press release and select any release(s) to be sent to an email address(s).

I created a database with one table. I created a form for the data entry and it worked on the 1st try. I was creating a report but got lost on that step. I think I need to create a window allowing the user to browse all press releases by (entry date or offense date) and allow them to be email and/or edited individually for corrections.

The press release needs to have all the fields concatenated together with specific words and/or commas inserted to make the data look as if it was a few paragraphs typed in as it would normally be. Unfortunately the user I'm writing this for cannot keep track of all the fields that need to be entered on a consistant basis.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Tony, everything you've mentioned can certainly be done. However, your last sentence bothers me:
    Unfortunately the user I'm writing this for cannot keep track of all the fields that need to be entered on a consistant basis.
    I'm not sure exactly what you meant by that but a database without structure is useless. If you can't define the structure, you might as well put it in a word processor and plan to do a lot of cutting and pasting.

I suspect that the reality is somewhere in between "well structured" and "no structure at all". You said you were new to A5 but I will assume you are also new to databases. If this is true, you may need to spend some time working with an experienced developer who can help you determine what type of structure to set up to best meet your needs. If you don't set up a good structure to start with, you will have nothing but trouble later on. There may be others on the message board who will be willing to help you figure it out but they will need more info about specifically what you have and what you are trying to accomplish.

Real Name
    Tony Giangreco

Thanks for replying. here is the senerio that I need to provide a solution for.

I have a client that is a very small police department. They have one clerk who is not very computer literate, but she can follow directions if I spell it out for her and make sure she has prompts so she doesn't get ;lost along the way.

I do their website design, and hosting. They have requested I supply them with amn application allowing their clerk to do the following:

1. For each incident that occurs in their village, allow the client to enter a press release per incident. I expect about five to ten incidents per week.

2. As the press release is entered into the page, allow the clerk to save the press release (add a row in the press-release table).

3. The fields required are as follows: Last name, first name, address, city, state, date of offense, offense, location, narrative, court date, court room, bond amount.

4. Allow the clerk to review and correct the press release after it has been saved.

5. Allow the clierk to email the press releases to the appropriate recipiants.

6. Allow the clerk to browse all press releases (new and old) and print/email them as needed.

7. When it prints out, the fields should be printed in multiple paragraphs like this:

Smith, Joe, 35, of 100 Main St., Chicago was charged on March 25th, 2006 with DUI in the 5000 block of Madison Ave, Chicago, IL.

During a routine traffic stop, driver Smith admitted having multiple alcoholic beverages in the preceding hour. Felony charges were approved. Smith was given a court date of April 15th, 2006 at 9:00 AM in room 103. Bond was set at $5000.

8. Provide some method of data backup.

9. Provide some level of user signon into the application so only appropriate personnel have access to the application.

10. If possible, make this a network application (if they need it).

Let me know if this is possble in Alphafive v7 and if there is an application already written in Alphafive close to thiese specs.

Thanks,

Tony

Real Name
    Rich Kerr

Default Press Release App

Tony:

You can use a calculated field, or a combination of a few calcualted fields to create the press release text. Looking at the two examples you gave, you'd need to test for data in cetain logical (true/false) fields, like "admitted_guilt" or "part_of_traffic_stop". Then based on the various true/false conditions, the release would be worded a certain way, combining the "who, what, when, where" data from your table into coherent sentences...

Further, you could even create a few ways of saying the essentially the same thing, such as "During a routine traffic stop..." vs. "After being pulled over for a moving violation...". You could generate a random number process to randomly select one phrase vs. the other. That way, the release doesn't look exactly the same for all traffic stops, or all B & E events, etc.

Hope that helps...

Rich Kerr
    Last edited by richkerr; 03-30-2006 at 09:40 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Default To answer your question

Tony,

Yes A5V7 can do what you need. It is very powerful.

Second, are there applications out there? I would connect with Rich Harnett on this site. He is a police officer that presents as knowledgeable with A5, and appears to be developing Web based aplications using A5. He has a web site:

http://www.berwynheightspd.com

Here is a link to one of his posts.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ghlight=police

Good luck

Mike W