Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Refresh shadow database puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refresh shadow database puzzle

I have created a shadow database for my application on a user's local drive. It works wonderfully, superb performance too.

I created the shadow using the "Network Optimize" instructions in the A5 documentation and A5v7 Runtime - it seems to work really well. I chose the options to "refresh shadow automatically" and "entire version number" for a refresh.

The folder containing the master copy of my application (the folder containing my .ADB file etc.) sits on a shared folder on a server. The shadow is on the C: drive of the user's PC. It's a separate PC to the server of course.

I installed the shadow using a version number 0.74 of my application which I set using A5_SetAppVersionNumber(). I know I have set it correctly because I have it displayed on an "About" form in my application.

I update the application and give it a new version number of 0.75. Now I am ready to update the shadow. So I take the entire development directory (the one with the .ADB file and everything else) and copy it to the shared folder (after deleting everything there first).

Now I open up the Runtime application on the user's local drive to see what will happen. Well, nothing happens. Oh, that's not right is it?

I observe the application number has correctly updated to version 0.75 and all my application's table contents reflect the contents that I placed in the shared folder, but nothing else in the shadow has updated - e.g. forms etc are still at version 0.74.

Hmm. Something's amiss. I try forcing a shadow update using "refresh_shadow()" which I have cunningly attached to a hidden hotspot in my application in anticipation of needing it. But that does nothing. The puzzle deepens.

So I resort to opening up the control panel and using the A5 Tools menu, Refresh Shadow option. And that works! Yippeee, way to go.

But now I have a puzzle. Why did my shadow not automatically update when I ran it on the users PC after updating the shared folder to version 0.75? And why did it again not update when I ran "refresh_shadow()"? Of course I don't want my users to have to do a manual refresh shadow from the A5 control panel every time there is an update to my application.

Can anyone help me solve this one?

Many thanks.

OK, let me re-state my problem more succinctly.

The automatic refresh of my shadow database doesn't work, yet I am using what I would consider a routine procedure to get it to refresh - copy the new version of my application (with a new application version number) to the shared application folder then run the A5 Runtime and open the shadow database which I have previously created as per paragraph 2 in my first post above. The shadow should update automatically, but it doesn't. A5 should handle this with aplomb, but it doesn't. Why? How can I fix it?

As a possible lead, here is an observation. When I open the shadow database and before the shadow is updated, I note that the shadow's application version number (obtained via 'A5_GETappversionnumber()') is actually the new version number rather than the old. Yet the shadow hasn't yet updated (because all my objects such as forms etc, are still the old versions). So how is it that the shadow's application version number is up to date *before* the shadow has updated? The answer must come down to a question of where does A5 store the application version number?

I previously set the application version number using 'A5_SETappversionnumber()' back in my development folder and then copied everything to the shared folder.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Comment

Brett,

If I understand what you did, you can't copy the application files to the shadow directory yourself. That directory is created by the network optimize (toolbar) or create_shadow() or create_shadow2() functions.

It is basically an exact copy of all data dictionaries of tables and sets in the master database, but the ADB, ALM, and ALB files are different. In addition, it creates "DBF" files that are really just pointers to the real locations of those tables. These are not regular dbf files.

Refresh_Shadow() updates a previously created shadow database while you have that shadow database open.

I have been creating a network optimization function that will do all of the hard work of dealing with network optimization, no matter what you want to do. It also can invoke A5/A5 Runtime exe patching, as well as a more robust support file copying. I'll be putting some finishing touches on it this week, but have not figured out how to make a trial version of it.

But the simplicity is as easy as saying OptimizeNet(optionNumber) and it does everything else that you need for the maintenance and operation of shadow databases. The best part is, that all users get tossed to the shadowed version (except for those you want to keep in the master version like the developer), even if they try to start the master table.

I'm not sure what the price will be, but it saves a ton of time for me!
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira,

I'm absolutely and definitely *not* copying my new version's application files to the *shadow* folder, that would be a mistake - even *I* realize that. ;)

I'm copying the new version's application files to the shared folder on the server and then trying to update the shadow on a separate PC's local C: drive. As I say, this is standard stuff that A5 should be able to handle with aplomb, but doesn't.

Comment

Don't feel bad. My ver. 5 application at work has worked like a charm for 10-years+. But it won't shadow in v.7.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=59669
          Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 03-12-2006, 06:42 PM.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

To create a shadowed version, you must run the regular Master version with the Network Optimize option choice from the menu (or create_shadow() or create_shadow2()). The shadowed directory will now work. If you copy that directory to any other location (other machines, other directories etc), it will work as long as the drive mapping to the Master version is the same as the one when the shadow was created.

Also, the shadow version number, and int/whole #, and out of date settings for optimizing are stored in the ALB/ALM files. If the out of date option is set wrong on the shadow, it will never optimize automatically. Once it is refreshed manually from the master, then it will copy the Master's setting. This may be your problem.

The setting in the shadow is looked at when the shadow is opened, and operated upon at that time. If it is set wrong, it will never automatically update.

If that doesn't explain it, it sounds like you are doing the steps wrong, but I can't read your precise procedure from what you said.
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich
              Don't feel bad. My ver. 5 application at work has worked like a charm for 10-years+. But it won't shadow in v.7.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=59669
              Peter, gee that's pretty bad. And here I am thinking that to refresh a shadow database must be one of the more frequently used and reliable parts of A5. Silly me.

Comment

Originally posted by csda1
                To create a shadowed version, you must run the regular Master version with the Network Optimize option choice from the menu (or create_shadow() or create_shadow2()). The shadowed directory will now work. If you copy that directory to any other location (other machines, other directories etc), it will work as long as the drive mapping to the Master version is the same as the one when the shadow was created.

Also, the shadow version number, and int/whole #, and out of date settings for optimizing are stored in the ALB/ALM files. If the out of date option is set wrong on the shadow, it will never optimize automatically. Once it is refreshed manually from the master, then it will copy the Master's setting. This may be your problem.

The setting in the shadow is looked at when the shadow is opened, and operated upon at that time. If it is set wrong, it will never automatically update.

If that doesn't explain it, it sounds like you are doing the steps wrong, but I can't read your precise procedure from what you said.
                I'm doing everything correctly and in accordance with the A5 documentation which I have read several times over a four week period, especially the bits on 'Network Optimization' and the 'set' and 'get' application version numbers.

The only thing I have doubts on is the bit you mention about the version number being stored in the in the ALB/ALM files. My new version number will be stored here along with all the other changes I have made to my scripts, forms, etc. So when I start up the A5 runtime on my shadow the first time I run it after an update to the shared folder, it should detect that there is a difference between the application number stored in the shadowed application and that in the shared, or master, application and thence update the shadow.

And this is the bit that seems to be *not* occurring correctly because when I run the Runtime shadow application the first time after the update it is telling me the version number in the shadow is the new version number *before* the shadow update has occurred. Weird.

Comment

Brett, I have been using the automatic refresh on a couple v7 apps for awhile now and have not had any problems. My first guess would be that something in an OnInit, OnActivate, or OnFetch event (or maybe one of the other events?) of the 'run on load' form is causing a problem.

Try either disabling all events in your 'run on load' form (just put an 'END' statement at the beginning of the scripts) or just disable the 'run on load' temporarily. Maybe disable the autoexec too. Maybe this may help you locate the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin
                    Brett, I have been using the automatic refresh on a couple v7 apps for awhile now and have not had any problems. My first guess would be that something in an OnInit, OnActivate, or OnFetch event (or maybe one of the other events?) of the 'run on load' form is causing a problem.

Try either disabling all events in your 'run on load' form (just put an 'END' statement at the beginning of the scripts) or just disable the 'run on load' temporarily. Maybe disable the autoexec too. Maybe this may help you locate the problem.
                    Cal, I don't have any of these. I have an autoexec script that initializes a few variables and opens the main menu, that's about all though. There are no events tied to this menu either. But I can see where you are coming from. I'll dig around for few a few hours and see if I can find anything.

Comment

'Refresh Shadow Database' Secrets Revealed

Great, I got your attention. 8-)

Many of you will know from earlier posts of mine that I have been having problems when trying to get the A5 'refresh shadow database' feature to work with my A5 application. I wanted my shadow database to refresh automatically whenever a new master version of my A5 application was created by me and placed on the shared network folder.

The outcome is that despite all my best efforts I have been unable to get my shadow database to automatically update. I have also been unable to force it to update using the 'refresh_shadow()' Xbasic method.

The only thing saving me from total disaster is that I could always force an update from the control panel, Tools menu/ 'Refresh Shadow' option. But this is not an endearing solution as it requires me to give my application users access to the A5 control panel and it also requires me to communicate to them exactly when this refresh needs to be done. Plenty of opportunities for muck-ups here.

So I tried to find out what code behind the Tools menu option made it work when nothing else did. I was unsuccessful in this because all I discovered by looking inside the action script Xbasic code for the tools button option that it does no more than run a 'refresh_shadow()', and I already know this doesn't work.

My next step was to try and pull the 'application version number' to pieces and see how it works. This is the number A5 uses to determine what version of my application is running and thence to determine if a shadow refresh is necessary. How do I know this? Here is an extract from the A5 "Netwok Optimization" documentation:

Alpha Five allows you to set rules that automatically refresh the Shadow Database when the Master Database has been updated. You can set the version number of the master database. Then, when a user opens a shadow database that is based on an earlier version of the master database, Alpha Five can warn the user that the shadow database is out of date. Alpha Five can then automatically refresh the shadow database, or allow the user to optionally refresh the shadow database.
                      By way of background, there are two A5 Xbasic methods to set and get the application version number. These are, respectively: 'A5_SetAppVersionNumber()' and 'A5_GetAppVersionNumber()'. The idea is that the application developer sets the application version number when a new version of the application is ready to be distributed. And then when a shadow copy running from that new master copy is next run, A5 detects the version number has changed and either automatically updates the shadow or warns the user, depending on the option specified when the shadow database was first created. OK, got that? Except that it doesn't work.

And now the astounding bits I discovered from specific tests I conducted - these are what I previously referred to as the "secrets" now revealed:

1. The application version number that A5 recognizes is that of the master database, not the shadow.

2. 'A5_GetAppVersionNumber()' returns the master application version number, not the shadow version number.

3. There is no (or none that I have been able to find documented) A5 function or method that returns the *shadow* application version number.

To me it's very disappointing that A5 cannot handle the updating of a shadow database more elegantly. But it's now understandable in light of the above discoveries.

Comment

Originally posted by brett s
                        And then when a shadow copy running from that new master copy is next run, A5 detects the version number has changed and either automatically updates the shadow or warns the user, depending on the option specified when the shadow database was first created. OK, got that? Except that it doesn't work.
                        It does for me, and others too. We need to ascertain what's different about the methodology you are using.

1. The application version number that A5 recognizes is that of the master database, not the shadow.
                        Actually, it has to look at both in order to know whether it needs to update

2. 'A5_GetAppVersionNumber()' returns the master application version number, not the shadow version number.
                        That is correct. It returns the Master's version number whether in the Master or shadow

3. There is no (or none that I have been able to find documented) A5 function or method that returns the *shadow* application version number.
                        That's correct that there is no A5 function/method to do that. It is possible to get and set both, just a bit harder

To me it's very disappointing that A5 cannot handle the updating of a shadow database more elegantly. But it's now understandable in light of the above discoveries.
                        While Alpha is not as elegant at handling of shadowing as it could be, it does work. I do it all the time. That said, I found I could create a more elegant method to do it that allows for better handling of the process in a better way for distributed code. But Alpha's way does work.

The question is, why are you running into a brick wall here? Can you try it on a simple set of tables and test it out? Then post it, and we can test it out. Also, what is the mapping of the network drive and the shadowed drive?
                        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira, thanks for your response. In reply. My mappings are fine. The application runs perfectly in all respects otherwise. Networked performance is very good too. I can possibly put some test samples together but that will take more time of course, whereas my priority is to complete the application. I am somewhat bemused to hear that it apparently works well for others and there is no problem? My experience is the precise opposite.

Comment

In reply. My mappings are fine.
                            What I want to know is if the Network data directory is mapped to a standard Drive, like N:, or something like \\SERVER\ALPHA
                            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by csda1
                              What I want to know is if the Network data directory is mapped to a standard Drive, like N:, or something like \\SERVER\ALPHA
                              The master data directory is a folder off the following shared folder on a simple peer-to-peer arrangement. (See attached gif).

Comment

Working...
                              X