Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Refresh shadow database puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brett, it sounds like the application folder is not mapped to the local work station as a drive. i.e. from the workstation the data directory you mention does not appear as a mapped drive. Suggest you map it directly. -- tom

Comment

Tom, on the local workstation the shared application folder appears as the S: drive when I open up Windows Explorer. I can see all files and folders and can read and write to it there with no problems. I can't see that there's any more I can do on this front?

Comment

In any case, you don't need to map your drive. I never have, except for ancient DOS programs.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

in your development copy, from the full version of Alpha, go to the control panel, at the top click on tools, then network optimize, and then options, and see what the value is for the version number, and that "automatically refresh the shadow database" is checked, and "Entire Version Number" is also checked.

Increment the number by 100 and click on "set"

exit the app and copy the folder to the server

then from your workstation, click on the icon to load the shadow

if it doesn't come up whith a dialog indicatiing it is refreshing the shadow, then you have a bad installation, and may need to start from scratch in installing the shadow.

If this doesn't work, and you have PCAnywhere, call me and I'll log on and see what the problem is.

972 524 8714
          Last edited by martinwcole; 05-27-2006, 01:19 AM.
          Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
          972 524 8714
          [email protected]

Comment

Martin, you are an absolute wizard! I was able to discover from your suggestion what the problem was.

And here it is. When the 'A5_SetAppVersionNumber()' is run on the development copy of the application, A5 not only changes the application version number, it also changes the update option to "Warn the user but do not require them to update the shadow database". Try it and you will see what I mean.

I didn't notice this alteration and I venture to suggest many wouldn't because a network optimize is never performed on the development PC, only the local PC on which the shadow is to be created or updated. None the less even though it should have warned 'the user' (me), it didn't do this either.

So when it came time to test the automatic shadow refresh for my application my goose was twice cooked - no automatic update and no warning message. From this result I would venture to suggest there are a couple of problems in A5 here that should be looked at. First, setting the application version number should not change the update option. Second, why does the warning message not pop up the first time the shadow is opened after the application update? When I first created the shadow I had specified that an automatic shadow update was required. This never occurred and neither did I get a warning message advising that an update was required.

So what did I do to fix the problem? Firstly I set the application version number in the development copy of my database. Then, before I closed it down and copied it to the shared folder, I went to the network optimize option on the toolbar and changed the update option back to 'automatically refresh...'. That's all.

As I say, there are some problems in how A5 handles this situation that need to be fixed otherwise many others will undoubtedly falling into the same trap, one not of their own making.

Many thanks again, Martin.

Comment

Hi Brett,

As I suspected, it was a methodology difference, setting the version with A5_SetAppVersionNumber(), which I suspect very few people do. The end user should never being setting this value, and in fact, the command does not work from the Shadow database, only from the Master.

The 'Update Option:' and and 'When checking Version Number, consider:' option are only viewed at the Master database when accessing the shadow, even though the copied values are visible in the shadowed database.

A5_SetAppVersionNumber(versionnumber) sets the Master's version number, and sets the other options to 'Warn the user...' and 'Entire Version Number', whether you wanted that or not. I'd say that is a bug in the function.

Nevertheless, you should have recieved a shadow warning anytime you opened the shadow and had set a new, higher number. This works fine on my computer, which I tested all variations tonight. So there is still an issue going on in your system.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Since I am the only person who will need to update the shadows, if I make changes to the program, I always and ONLY increment the optimization number in the development copy - which always resides on a computer of the client. I usually do the work on my computer - copy the new version to the clients development copy via PCAnywhere, use a batch file to get the data(dbf and fpt) from the server to the development copy, update the indexes, etc, increment the optimization number, and then copy the development copy back to the server. (All users are logged off the app during this process!!)

If I set optimization to "always refresh" the shadow (I do this because I don't want them to have a choice) then the next time ANY shadowed workstation, including the one where I also keep the development copy, opens the app it will automatically refresh the shadow.
                Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                972 524 8714
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by csda1
                  Hi Brett,

As I suspected, it was a methodology difference, setting the version with A5_SetAppVersionNumber(), which I suspect very few people do. The end user should never being setting this value, and in fact, the command does not work from the Shadow database, only from the Master.

The 'Update Option:' and and 'When checking Version Number, consider:' option are only viewed at the Master database when accessing the shadow, even though the copied values are visible in the shadowed database.

A5_SetAppVersionNumber(versionnumber) sets the Master's version number, and sets the other options to 'Warn the user...' and 'Entire Version Number', whether you wanted that or not. I'd say that is a bug in the function.

Nevertheless, you should have recieved a shadow warning anytime you opened the shadow and had set a new, higher number. This works fine on my computer, which I tested all variations tonight. So there is still an issue going on in your system.
                  Thanks, Ira. Good comments. Definitely the lack of a warning message on the shadow is afflicting me and I know not why. Now that I have identified the cause of the original problem I have made a few changes to my application and will now go back and re-do all the testing which, for some obscure reason I'm not looking forward to. But I'll get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole
                    Since I am the only person who will need to update the shadows, if I make changes to the program, I always and ONLY increment the optimization number in the development copy - which always resides on a computer of the client. I usually do the work on my computer - copy the new version to the clients development copy via PCAnywhere, use a batch file to get the data(dbf and fpt) from the server to the development copy, update the indexes, etc, increment the optimization number, and then copy the development copy back to the server. (All users are logged off the app during this process!!)

If I set optimization to "always refresh" the shadow (I do this because I don't want them to have a choice) then the next time ANY shadowed workstation, including the one where I also keep the development copy, opens the app it will automatically refresh the shadow.
                    Martin, that's pretty much the same process I want to use too for updating each user's shadow. In light of the results of my previous testing and that I could not get the shadow to automatically refresh after an update, I had tried to build in a range of other checks that prevented a user running the shadow with one version against the master with another version. But this didn't work because, as I subsequently found, there is no way to detect in Xbasic the application version number of the shadow. Anyway, as I said to Ira above, I have to make a few changes now and re-test everything to do with updating a shadow and this will take me a few days, assuming I run into no other bigee. :(

Comment

Glad to see that you got to the bottom of this. But I am curious: not that you can't or shouldn't have or that something does not need fixing, but was there some reason you were using A5_SetAppVersionNumber() instead of just going to the Control Panel on the development machine? I do not mean to suggest you made a mistake here, I'm just curious.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons
                        Glad to see that you got to the bottom of this. But I am curious: not that you can't or shouldn't have or that something does not need fixing, but was there some reason you were using A5_SetAppVersionNumber() instead of just going to the Control Panel on the development machine? I do not mean to suggest you made a mistake here, I'm just curious. Ray
                        Hi, Ray. Yes, good question. Here's my answer. I try and make things in my application reasonably intuitive for the developer too. :D I'm thinking of events in perhaps a few months time (maybe even sooner). Late at night, trying to get a new version of my application out for the next day, 1,000 other things floating around in my head and I have forgotten to update the version number. Duh. I have the update facility behind a hot spot on my application's "About" screen. It's only accessible from the developer's edition of A5, not the Runtime. It does a few other 'smart' things and runs some checks before it tells me the version numbers - the new one I should be updating to and the current one. Do I really want to update - OK or Cancel? Then it's a "A5_SetAppVersionNumber()". It's a little smarter and a little safer than I can be trusted alone with. :)

Comment

'A5_SetAppVersionNumber()'

You report a bug in 'A5_SetAppVersionNumber()'

I am not familiar with this function. I can't find it anywhere in the language.
                          As far as I can tell, it is not a function written by Alpha.

That being said, it is still possible for you to set the app version number in xbasic by making the same low level calls that the Network Optimize feature uses.

For example, from the Interactive window:

dim p as p
                          a5_load_settings("NetworkOptimize",p)
                          ?p
                          = check_portion = 2
                          outofdate_flag = 3
                          version_number = 3

p.version_number = 4.2
                          a5_save_settings("NetworkOptimize",p)

This will set the Version Number to 4.2 (leaving the Outofdate_flag at 3 and the check_portion setting at 2)

Comment

Selwyn

The Alpha Five Help File Says:

A5_SetAppVersionNumber()

Syntax:
                            Logical Result_Flag = A5_SetAppVersionNumber( Version_Number as N )

Description:
                            The A5_SetAppVersionNumber() function sets an application's version number. This is the same version number that can be set on the Network Optimization dialog.
                            If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

Hi Selwyn,

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins

I am not familiar with this function. I can't find it anywhere in the language.
                              As far as I can tell, it is not a function written by Alpha.
                              The link in the online documentation is as follows;
                              http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelp/Functions/A5_SetAppVersionNumber()_.htm

The bug is in not preserving the other settings of the networkoptimize saved values in the alb.
                              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins
                                ... it is still possible for you to set the app version number in xbasic by making the same low level calls that the Network Optimize feature uses.

For example, from the Interactive window:

dim p as p
                                a5_load_settings("NetworkOptimize",p)
                                ?p
                                = check_portion = 2
                                outofdate_flag = 3
                                version_number = 3

p.version_number = 4.2
                                a5_save_settings("NetworkOptimize",p)

This will set the Version Number to 4.2 (leaving the Outofdate_flag at 3 and the check_portion setting at 2)
                                Here is the code I put into my application in place of 'A5_SetAppVersionNumber()'
                                Code:
                                Dim pP as P					' Following code suggested by Selwyn Rabins, 17 March 2006, in lieu of 'A5_SetAppVersionNumber()' 
                                pP.version_number = nMyNewAppVersionNumber
                                pP.Outofdate_flag = 3		' Selects the option: Automatically refresh the shadow database. 
                                pP.check_portion  = 1		' Checks whole version number when testing if shadow is to be updated.
                                a5_save_settings("NetworkOptimize", pP)
                                Many thanks, Selwyn.

I would still like to see something done about the wayward function though. It needs to be fixed or the documentation for it updated to prevent others stumbling into the same trap as me.

Comment

Working...
                                X