Alpha Video Training

Thread: How do you remove calculated fields from Report DragDrop list

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Default How do you remove calculated fields from Report DragDrop list

Hello,

I have a Report that was duplicated from another report which was originally a duplicate for another report... and so on. Now 4-5 generations later, with each prior generation adding new calculated fields, I have a Report with a very full DragDrop list filled with calculated fields. Does anyone know how/whether it's possible to remove unneeded calculated fields from a Report's DragDrop list?

Mike W

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

I don't, without also deleting the calc field itself. Do you need help doing that?

-- tom

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default Removing Calc Fields from Drag/Drop List

Mike,

If you mean remove the calc field from the D/D list BUT retain the calc field in the calc field editor, the answer is 'No'. If you click on the xy icon on the toolbar of trhe Report Editor, you can select and delete a calc field and then it will not appear in the D/D list, but I would suggest that you be very careful doing that. Sometimes a calc field is created because it is needed in a second-level calculation. If you delete the subordinate calculation, the 'parent' calculation won't work.

Dave
    Dave Jampole
    www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Default Answer to how to delete calculated fields fom DragDrop list

Thanks all, I found the answer by sheer happenstance.

Dave, I tried that many times. Just trying to delete a calculated field present in the middle of the list draws an error message. Over and over I tried this. But then I tried it one last time and IT WORKED, I figured it out. The difference I discovered is the little fact that deleting the field is only possible when the fields is located as the last calcuation on the list. So I highlighted the field, moved it to the bottom of the list with the blue arrows, and was able to delete, for all those that might search this.

I appreciate the dangers of doing this, and I'll be mindful of that. I am playing around with these calculated fields on a steep learning curve and am generating misses that are accumulating. Thanks All.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilson
    Thanks all, I found the answer by sheer happenstance.

Dave, I tried that many times. Just trying to delete a calculated field present in the middle of the list draws an error message. Over and over I tried this. But then I tried it one last time and IT WORKED, I figured it out. The difference I discovered is the little fact that deleting the field is only possible when the fields is located as the last calcuation on the list. So I highlighted the field, moved it to the bottom of the list with the blue arrows, and was able to delete, for all those that might search this.

I appreciate the dangers of doing this, and I'll be mindful of that. I am playing around with these calculated fields on a steep learning curve and am generating misses that are accumulating. Thanks All.
    Not sure why this is happening to you, but you should be able to delete calculated fields from the middle of the list. Just make sure you click on the very left of the row and that the entire row highlights. Then right click and delete.