Alpha Video Training

Thread: "Database is open in another session" error

Real Name
    Michael Beecher

Default "Database is open in another session" error

When I am editing my database, I keep running into error messages telling me that "The database/set is being used by another user or in another session and could not be opened in exclusive mode." But I am the only person on our network accessing this database! (We have a 3-user license.) I also do not have any other browses or forms open! Why is this happening?

Real Name
    Jim Belanger

I have the same problem. When it happens, I have to shut down the program and start it up again. And I am using it on a stand alone computer, not on a network, although I have the networking version.
    Jim Belanger

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

This message from Alpha Five is based on information Alpha Five receives from the operating system. Tables and sets can be left "open" as far as Windows is concerned even after you close the database. This can happen if a table is opened by a script that subsequently crashes. I've had this happen during development more times than I'd care to admit. It also happens when developers open forms "as dialogs" and do not close them correctly, following the special handling instructions set forth in the help file. The immediate problem can usually be cleared by closing Alpha Five and rebooting your workstation (if the database is stored there). If your database is on a "server", then rebooting it is sometimes required. This is why, in my own development work, I don't put anything on the server until it's been thoroughly tested. Rebooting a shared server affects more folks than rebooting your own pc.

The long term solution is to find what's causing tables or sets to be left open and correct it. A useful technique at the end of any development session is to compact the database. If Alpha Five can't compact some of the tables that's a good indicator that they were left open by mistake.

--tom

Real Name
    Jim Belanger

I can't find it right now, but, at one time I had a similar problem and someone told me to look for a file in the directory and delete it. It was a file that indicated a table was open. Wish I could recall the file's name or where I wrote this hint down.
    Jim Belanger

VAR
    Real Name
    Mike Reed

Hi,
    I have the same issue on occasion, so I go to the interactive window and type in a5_forceclosetables().
    That usually does the trick.

And thanks Tom for your advise on finding our why a table or set is open in the first place. That should, as a matter of course, be done.

mike
    Mike Reed
    Phoenix, AZ

Real Name
    Michael Beecher

This seems to be a major failing of this program and one that should be addressed ASAP in the next revision. I mean, seriously, am I supposed to keep rebooting the workstation constantly? This makes Alpha Five practically unusable for me.

Real Name
    Michael Beecher

a5_forceclosetables() did not work for me.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Michael,

I don't think I agree with your premise. Perhaps we can spot the trouble for you if you'll post your database here, with instructions for us to follow to see the issue.

-- tom

Real Name
    Michael Beecher

I'm not comfortable posting the database here. I just went through my system processes and shut down programs that might be accessing files in the background (like X1 and System Mechanic system monitor). I'll let you know if that helps.

FYI: I'm a long-time Alpha Four user and am (finally) making the transition to Alpha Five. So I'm a total novice at Alpha Five. I will probably be posting lots of questions!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

It's possible to get thing so screwed up that the tables and database can become corrupted. So it pays to keep good backups even during development. (Especially during development!!). It's also possible for hardware failures of various types to cause corruption. If you think it would help for someone to check the database privately just post a request.

-- tom

Real Name
    Michael Beecher

Terminating X1 and System Mechanic seems to have done the trick. I've been editing a table for 40 minutes now and haven't run into the problem.

Real Name
    Bill Jordan

Michael,
    I've had the same problem but haven't been able to see a pattern that would help me figure out where to look, because it doesn't happen consistently. I do compacts frequently enough but that doesn't seem to have any impact. Don't know the solution, just letting you know you're not alone.
    Good luck.

Real Name
    David Pawley

Not sure if it causes a problem but to be safe I exclude table and index file types from Anti-virus/spyware scanning.
    Dave

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

if this happens only when you are in development mode, I would say there are 2 general reasons you will get this error
    1. if you open a form as a dialog from another form, and do not then close it from the calling form, it is still open (but hidden) and its table is thus open, too.

2. if you make changes to a form that cause an error, as from bad syntax, the table and frequently even the form are still open - and if you then reopen the form in design mode, correct the changes, and then rerun it again, not only can you get an error indicating the table and/or a record is locked, but you can also create a mess with the syntax. Since there were 2 copies of the form open, often the objects on the 2nd form are renamed to objectname0 since one copy is already open (but hidden) with the object name.

My practice in V7 is this - if I am developing in a layout and I get an error, I close Alpha and reopen it.

But if you are not getting any errors, and it only occurs when using the program, if the cause is from wothing the program, then something is opening a table but not closing it - like a script/function or a form opened as a dialog but not properly closed.