Alpha Video Training

Thread: Unable to go to another record after edit.

Real Name
    Jim Belanger

Default Unable to go to another record after edit.

I have a form based on a single table (not a set). As soon as I edit one field on the form, I cannot press "PgDn" or "PgUp" to navigate to another record. I can't do a CTL K to find by key either. I can type in a new field value but get taken right back to the original record. I can press F9 and see the small edit icon on the lower left go away but as soon as I try to go to another record, that edit icon lights up again, the record number indicator goes blank, I see the next record but can't do anything with it or change to another. I can go back to the original record I edited and the edit icon goes on again. I have to close the form and open it again to see all the records. If I scroll thru the table in the default browse, I can edit all I want and go to other records. Any hints? I have deleted all the filters and put them in again with no success.
    Last edited by Beltronics; 03-20-2006 at 05:59 PM.
    Jim Belanger

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Use the "default form" for the table.

If you experience the same trouble that's a good sign the trouble is in your field rules.

If it works fine, that's a good sign the trouble lies in your custom form layout.

In general terms Alpha is expecting you to save or cancel pending changes before you begin navigating. Are you trying to navigate while changes are still pending? If so, try saving or cancelling before moving to the next record.

-- tom

Real Name
    Jim Belanger

I tried saving and everything else I know. I started a new blank form. Opened it up for edit and opened the offending form for edit. I highlighted and copied every field on the offending form and pasted them on the blank form. The new form works well. I deleted to offending form and renamed the new form with the original name. Everything works OK now but I have no idea why it didn't.
    Jim Belanger